Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

I used to use these things called bike boots. They're made from the same material as raincoats and you put them on over your shoes. They're tied at the bottom by an elastic that goes under the bottom of your show and clips in at the other side. And therein lies the problem. The elastic keeps snapping. I'd been through 3 pairs before I abandoned them, which is a shame because they keep you well dry before they break.

Now I just leave spare runners in work and try and try the shoes (I leave newspaper here also) before hometimes, so just take the soaking.

Lads, birrov advice please. I've gone back to work a few months ago and I'm going to use the cycle to work scheme to get myself a new racer. It's years since I looked at bikes, is there anything particular that stands out as value for €1000? And say if a bike is 1400, would the bike shop take cash for the 400 on the sly and invoice your employer the 1000?? Or is that allowed anyway?

Lads, birrov advice please. I've gone back to work a few months ago and I'm going to use the cycle to work scheme to get myself a new racer. It's years since I looked at bikes, is there anything particular that stands out as value for €1000? And say if a bike is 1400, would the bike shop take cash for the 400 on the sly and invoice your employer the 1000?? Or is that allowed anyway?

yes, they will, and theres nothing on the sly about it. Thats how it works. As regards the racer, look at the slightly lesser known brands such as Focus, Verenti, Cube, Planet-X. They're budget frames but mostly very good. I got me a Focus hacker for 1100 last year and I love it (its not my main bike though).

Scout around the websites (wiggle, chainreaction, etc) and see whats on offer. Then locate it in a shop and go buy.

I'd have added Canyon to the list of makes there but they're not really budget anymore and depending on the bike-to-work scheme you're using it might not be possible to use them. Maybe have a gander at their site and have a look at the AL range. Amazing value to be had there.

yes, they will, and theres nothing on the sly about it. Thats how it works. As regards the racer, look at the slightly lesser known brands such as Focus, Verenti, Cube, Planet-X. They're budget frames but mostly very good. I got me a Focus hacker for 1100 last year and I love it (its not my main bike though).

Scout around the websites (wiggle, chainreaction, etc) and see whats on offer. Then locate it in a shop and go buy.

I'd have added Canyon to the list of makes there but they're not really budget anymore and depending on the bike-to-work scheme you're using it might not be possible to use them. Maybe have a gander at their site and have a look at the AL range. Amazing value to be had there.

Thanks Scuts. Just had a look there at Planet X. €1300 for what looks to be a very decent bike. Are they worth going to Athlone for? ThinkBike in Rathmines have a 2011 Giant TCR 1 for €1370 at the moment....
I'll have a look at those other brands also, never heard of any of them but if they're good bikes then the Colnago or Pinarello can wait for another day.

giant will be overpriced. You'll get a far better spec on a P-X so yes, worth travelling to get.

Also, I got a mail from Canyon this morning - I think theres a sale on the Ultimate AL bikes so check out their website and have a look. Them are fine bikes.

Do ye know where stocks Canyon bikes in Ireland, lads? If anywhere...
I'm leaning towards the €1300 Planet X bike at the minute, it sounds marvelous.

Do ye know where stocks Canyon bikes in Ireland, lads? If anywhere...
I'm leaning towards the €1300 Planet X bike at the minute, it sounds marvelous.

they're direct sales only so you can only buy via their website. Thats how they keep their costs down. So depending on the bike to work scheme you're using it may be a non-runner

they're direct sales only so you can only buy via their website. Thats how they keep their costs down. So depending on the bike to work scheme you're using it may be a non-runner

I presume it's a non-runner so, I'm a public servant. I reckon it's a trip to Athlone.

I presume it's a non-runner so, I'm a public servant. I reckon it's a trip to Athlone.

if its the voucher scheme (bikes4work) then its a non-runner. The one you would be able to manage it with is the one done via invoice. Basically they send the bill to your work and you arrange with them to have it paid (making up the excess yourself, etc)

if its the voucher scheme (bikes4work) then its a non-runner. The one you would be able to manage it with is the one done via invoice. Basically they send the bill to your work and you arrange with them to have it paid (making up the excess yourself, etc)

Hmmm, yeah, that's the way it's done, provided the supplier has a Tax Clearance Certificate sent to my department. I'll look into this. Thanks Scuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back