Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

I did the 56 mile cycling section of the 70.3 race on a 1986 steel framed racer with original brakes and gears. And wearing sandals.
Fuckers make you wear a helmet.
Didn't set the world on fire, but did the course in 3:15, so about 17.25 mph on average (the wind on the return leg was BRUTAL). If I do a full IM, I'm probably gonna upgrade to a carbon fibre bike (they're cheapish now) but I'll probably never wear clips.

1680725273198.png

Damn. Very good @Deadmanposting
Seriously though... clips like, what's the deal? It's one less thing to worry about. Your feet are just taken care of. It feels nice.
Maybe it's one of those things you get used to when you're young, but clipping in feels like you're properly connected to the bike. Once you're going you never think about it. I guess maybe you have to think about it when you're coming to a halt? But, it's like pulling the clutch in on a bike, your body just looks after it after a while.
What aspect aren't you liking?

I have seen people fall, and I don't know that the added speed is worth it for me

And when I do the next triathlon, I'll want to transition right from bike to run wearing the same shoes.

You already need so much shit for these races, I don't want to add even more. Even if it's only a pair of shoes. All these lads with Cervelos and all sorts of gear and special disc wheels and whatnot. It's not me.

Like I want my body to do the best work it can do. Getting more and more gear isn't helping that after a point. Like why not buy a 10k bike, you know? get a super aerodynamic helmet. I'm only racing against myself.
I'll work just as hard in the flat BMX pedals as I will in clips. That's what matters to me; that I'm working hard.

Last edited:
I got clips in my late 30s, its not so much about speed, its more about being able to push and pull
I mean I might have some Damascene conversion on these things, but I've been biking since the 70s and I've been doing fine without them. Like Eddie Merkx never used them.

Do you guys all use clips for like biking into town?

Like 98% of the people there had wetsuits on for the swim. I didn't.
And everyone I know was saying "Oh you'll be faster, the suits give you so much buoyancy" etc.
This is not what I'm looking to achieve. Or it's not where I want to get advantage.

I probably sound like an idiot, but it makes sense to me.

All that said, I'm running a half marathon in May and I need a 1:30 at it. I'll be buying those stupid Nike clown shoes for it because I need the time to qualify for a bigger race.

I use them if I'm riding outside of the village.
I mean, look, I'm shit on the bike, and I'd have no hope of doing a tri. It's not about performance or anything like that, it's about how it feels. Your foot is just there, in the right place, it's comfortable, it makes riding the bike easier.

It would be like going for walk with a pair of boots with no laces. I might not tie my laces if I'm walking to check the clothesline, I can walk around with my feet sort of skidding about inside the boot and the boots basically stay on my foot, versus tying up my laces and forgetting about it. If I'm 4 hours into a walk, I'm going to not want to think about that stuff, especially if I'm tired.

Eddie Merckx? I'm pretty sure he wore clipless when I was riding with him. I dunno, he's clipped in below.

I'm not sure when clipless came out, Look and Time were the first I knew about. Prior to then lads used clips and straps. Those things are more scary. Sean Kelly kept on with clips and straps because he was worried he'd reef his foot out during sprints. I think he would have been one of the last.

14255474057_f0c976d0b6_z.jpg

but yeah, if you think you'll fall over or something then maybe you'll be all worked up about that and not able to enjoy things, maybe it's a bad idea specifically for you. Just seems like doing it the hard way. But I love my wetsuit too.

I mean I might have some Damascene conversion on these things, but I've been biking since the 70s and I've been doing fine without them. Like Eddie Merkx never used them.

Do you guys all use clips for like biking into town?

Like 98% of the people there had wetsuits on for the swim. I didn't.
And everyone I know was saying "Oh you'll be faster, the suits give you so much buoyancy" etc.
This is not what I'm looking to achieve. Or it's not where I want to get advantage.

I probably sound like an idiot, but it makes sense to me.

All that said, I'm running a half marathon in May and I need a 1:30 at it. I'll be buying those stupid Nike clown shoes for it because I need the time to qualify for a bigger race.
I rode flat pedals on my commuter. If the commuter was out of action I'd take one of the racers so would use clips. I never felt comfortable using them in the city. Going for my long weekend spins I couldn't imagine not being clipped in.

And everyone will fall at least once. I fell twice. Once into grass, once on concrete. That was early on and after that it just became habitual to kick your heel sideways to clip out.

'clipless' pedals always seem scary to people not used to them it seems. and yes, you will have a pratfall or two at first.

but i reckon there's a couple of occasions i'd have lost control of the bike if i hadn't been clipped in; i once misjudged my angle at a roundabout and pedalled all the way through it and had a pedal strike, which could easily have thrown my foot off the pedal which would have shipped me off if that had happened.

I’ve recently taken the clips off my bike because I’m just using it to go up and down to the supermarket or to the school, I don’t want to be walking on surfaces skidding about in the shoes. Otherwise, clips all the way - especially for that kind of distance. They never made me go fast but like @flashback said: you just feel like you’re properly on the bike. Speed is nothing because even at top speed I’m a sack of potatoes at best.

Lads, if it's just all about a feeling, then I feel pretty okay already tbh

I appreciate all the contributions on the subject.
I still feel a little stupid and Luddit sticking to my ancient ways, but I guess that's all part of being old.

You're wrong, @Deadmanposting , and you need to acknowledge that, and aplogise for being wrong.

I'd be happiest if you printed up hard copies of something formal, and forwarded them on to the affected parties, including Pete so he can put them on file.

We would hope that this could be completed within 14 days of the original infraction.

Kind regards,
Flashback.

Lads, if it's just all about a feeling, then I feel pretty okay already tbh

I appreciate all the contributions on the subject.
I still feel a little stupid and Luddit sticking to my ancient ways, but I guess that's all part of being old.
Yeah but it’s not a feeling like “vinyl has a warmth to the sound that’s not there on digital”. The bike fully becomes an extension of your body. The novelty of being the sandals guy at the triathlon is great and all but you’ll honestly enjoy the long cycles so much more if you switch over.

Yeah but it’s not a feeling like “vinyl has a warmth to the sound that’s not there on digital”. The bike fully becomes an extension of your body. The novelty of being the sandals guy at the triathlon is great and all but you’ll honestly enjoy the long cycles so much more if you switch over.
Ah, I've done long cycles. Did Copenhagen to Berlin. Tralee to Dublin. Provincetown to Boston. And enjoyed them all.
In the early stages of planning NYC to Montreal.

I see all those guys in Howth on the weekend, clip-clopping around the coffee shop in their clips and lycra. I'm not dogging it, it's just not spiritually who I am as a cyclist. I've been biking pretty steadily for 45 years.
If it wasn't for the investment required, I might try it, but there are just so many other fitness things I would spend money on before special pedals and special shoes.

I really only chose the sandals because I went out for a 10-mile test ride on the Saturday evening and my sneakers were pinching. Figured that would be a problem over 3 hours, so opted for the sandals last minute. It wasn't a too-cool-for-school thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back