Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Might get in the way of parking??? Embarrassing shit altogether.

Manhattan beach and Venice beach in LA have a lovely cycle path running along them, it works really well. It's not just a cycle path, runners and rollerbladers and things use it, people commute to work along it, people pulling little trailers with kids or shopping. It's just such a good idea.

Parking. Jesus.

Is this th thing I saw on the news where they auld wans who go sea swimmng are saying that they'll have to walk too far to get to the beach?

Is this th thing I saw on the news where they auld wans who go sea swimmng are saying that they'll have to walk too far to get to the beach?
So aulwans can cross the road with 40+kmph multiple ton vehicles, but aren't able to handle a bike path?

I'm not normally a huge proponent of rounding up sections of the population into camps and inciting large scale machete fueled genocide, but aul wans: our patience has limits.

it's batshit. one ot the arguments used against cycling infrastructure like this is that it's ableist/ageist as it prevents old people from getting round as you mention. i've had a couple of arguments with people about that, it's actually a common enough argument; was the same with talk about reducing or removing car access to dollymount strand.

The cycling campaign was arguing for adding something like 40 elderly preferenced parking spots into the plan from an early stage and adjustments to make road crossing easier.
There's a lad cycles down there on a bike about sixty years old that he bought second hand.
It's just old school being old school. You get 3000 people asking for something, one business owner has a whisper in the ear and all of a sudden they are rolling back in droves.
It is really dissapointing, i've been at times involved in the campaign closely but largely in the close orbit. Everything was done right, done friendly, nothing underhanded from the cycling campaign. That stretch is always blocked up by cars in a big jam and from the postition of following the campaign every one of these 'concerns' has been addressed by them.
The same Cllr's will be bleating about sustainability come the next election for sure.
That particular stretch, a lot of it didn't exist two generations ago, it's reclaimed land to start with, the idea that anyone has some right to it being one thing is madness.

Anyways, yes, angry, dissapointed, I spin in there for a swim myself on the bike about once a week when it gets a bit warmer and you get all sorts of the usual road ragefrom people who want to park 4 cars deep on a double yellow to buy a coffee. I'll just be following the lead of the existing campaign on how to progress with it as they are a lovely reasonable bunch and tend to try to work to the positive.

It's also one of these situations where the car lobby doesn't know it's the car lobby

things have gone a bit batshit in cycling ireland with the fallout from their dodgy grant application

yep, they're the governing body for competitive cycling in ireland. apparently a grant application was submitted with at least one quote for work fabricated in the application. gardai were called in, they've been banned from applying for grants for a year and there is obviously a little bit of tension on the board. an EGM has been called.

from what i've heard on the grapevine the problems there are more a lack of professionalism rather than malicious. but whatever hopes there might have been about the long-promised velodrome will have been badly set back by this, they were one of the main stakeholders.

things have gone a bit batshit in cycling ireland with the fallout from their dodgy grant application

holy shit. That's about as bad as things get, publicly requesting named board members to step down??
> Lads, we're fucked and we're going to stay fucked unless you lot go away.
And one of them is a Senior Counsel. If I was to guess I'd say SCs don't respond very well to being publicly told to fuck off.

Damn.

Prior to this you have to assume they were privately asked to step down, and replied "lol. No." Cycling bodies are regularly such shit shows, it reflects badly. The UCI looks like they've been modeling themselves on the IOC or FIFA, only less competent.

two of the three board members he has requested step down were co-opted in the last few months. he himself was only elected in november.
Ah, that's what the quotes around appointed were about. I saw that he'd only just started.

Telling that he publicly asked them to step down though, the only reason I can see for that would be if they're refusing to go. I'd imagine the scenario might be a "them or me" type deal, although he's not explicitly saying that.

The guy who brought that motion, Cllr Keane fianna fail is the same guy that co sponsored the climate emergency motion less than 12 months ago.

I'm more annoyed about the method than the vote.

timeline to date

TRIAL greenway backed by 17 out of 18 cllrs last september.
engineers draft two options
public consultation goes ahead, gets 7000 responses

THEN

Cllr Keane brings up his motion, before the findings of the 7000 responses are looked as big fuck you to the public.

That kind of politics in the city being backed by 13 of 18 cllrs spells fucking disaster for the future.

Sorta starting to think that the salthill cycleway decision is 100% political.

Funding was offered from the minister for transport, huge public buy in. If it had been succesful it'd be a win for the greens in Galway - leaving it in limbo saves FFGlab the embarrasment come next election.

the detractors are running a script of 'concerns' that were all addressed in the meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back