Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

The off road ones get good reviews in MB mags and I've never heard a bad thing about the few I've come across. I think they're just not as mass market as the big American companies.

any injuries from being hit by the taxi, carbide?

not beyond getting a fright and having my mascara run everywhere, cheers. he only hit my bike, and slowly. i just keep being hit in the same fucking way and i am really, really, really cautious anywhere with a left hand turn - beats the hell out of being knocked down badly, obviously, but.

Any hassle with a taxi get the badge number and report them. They get brought up by the carriage office every time.

yeah, good point. i wasn't thinking at the time, but i should drill it into my brain for reference.

dear sierra communications (whoever you are),

you have made an utter dog's breakfast of the cycle lane along by fairview park, necessitating either a)cycling on a surface so bad that you might as well be going cross-country or b)having to nip out into a rush hour bus lane full of cyclisticidal 27bs.

and why do i suspect that actually putting a proper surface back on it is going to be a looooong time coming?

grumble grumble.

Yeah the track through the park was reopened. I think the path one was just put in while the Port Tunnel was being built.
I'm quite sure the bumpy footpath is to discourage cyclists cycling on it, seeing as it's now a dedicated footpath. Cycle on the main road, it's fine except for 3 or 4 big potholes. Quicker too.

The track in the park is no use to me since I'm coming Malahide road usually.

I've never seen a pair of cycling glasses/goggles that don't look mega gay.

what about these? hmmmmm?

glaeser.jpg

Not much really but they're decent bikes. Think Dunchee has one.

nah, mine's a gt frame.

Thanks Scuther. Do you know anything about Sunn bikes?

no, I'd never heard of them. I'll do some reading. Just cos they're little known doesn't mean they're not good. The opposite is often the case.

I saw a lad in town yesterday on a Boardman. Looked class. I think they're selling those in Halfords now (they signed some deal in the last couple of weeks). They're the bikes designed by yer man Chris Boardman, the British ex-pro cyclist (the lad who wore the yellow jersey when the TdF came to Ireland).

Anyone know anything about Sunn bikes? I was looking at one today.

46efffe2cb6af-Wood.jpg

Heres the technical spec for that bike (from sunnbicycle.com);

Frame WOOD AL7005
fourche_vtt.gif
Fork RST 790 C8
levier_frein.gif
Levers V-BRAKE UN
manettes.gif
Shifters SRAM SHIFTER 3.0
cassette.gif
Free wheel SRAM PG-730 7V
derailleur_ar.gif
Rear derailleur SRAM 3.0
derailleur_av.gif
Front derailleur SRAM 3.0
pedalier.gif
Cranks TRUVATIV X-FLOW
jante.gif
Wheel UN VTC V-BRAKE
pneu_vtt.gif
Tires HUTCHINSON BITUME 700*38
poids.gif
Weight UN ORIGINE (Relevé)
potence_vtt.gif
Stem UN 7°
selle.gif
Saddle ACTIVE FM-16
tige_de_selle.gif
Seat post UN
poids.gif
Weight 12,7 Kg

I'm not familiar with a lot of those components. SRAM are quality though. What sort of $$ are we taking about?

From looking at their other bikes its seems that they put out very decent bikes which are probably a little cheaper than the bigger makes (but the componentry wouldn't necessarily be the very best). For example, I looked at their road bikes. Full carbon on tiagra. A little heavier than your average carbon, but they still look good to me.

So, from what I can gather is that these bikes aren't the best in the world, but they're still very decent and so long as what you pay reflects this, then its looks like they're providing good options for people who don't want to pay extortionate prices for Cervelos or Treks or whatever.

I'm not familiar with a lot of those components. SRAM are quality though. What sort of $$ are we taking about?

The one i was looking at was 579 but i'm not 100% sure whether it was the one i linked to above.

I'd be looking to get mudguards and a pannier put on any bike i get so i'm concerned about clearance at the back.

The one i was looking at was 579 but i'm not 100% sure whether it was the one i linked to above.

I'd be looking to get mudguards and a pannier put on any bike i get so i'm concerned about clearance at the back.

if it has the holes for attaching a rack on the top of each the seat stay and where each seat tube and chain stay meet (above the drop out) then it is probably designed with a rack in mind.

bikeframe.jpg

my road bike has the ones at the bottom where the stays meet but not the top ones. this isn't a problem really as you can get steel bands that wrap around the top of the seat stays. on the other hand, my gt frame has the holes at the top of the seat stays but not the other ones - bizarre and pretty useless.

They appear to be good quality but i've just never heard of them before.

I was also looking at one of these beauties earlier.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/bike_path/7000_series/7500/

With regards Sunn.
They are French, their team used to produce loads of young ones and youngfellas that used to go on and win the MTB worldse worldy loads and embarrass the rest of the world.
The company went bust and folded about 7 years ago as far as I remember so some other company must have bought the name.
Like the way schwinns are really just treks with different paintwork and names maybe...

They were good bikes though, most of the range looked cool, like french Konas.

had a very reasoned and intelligent debate with a chappie on a moped this morning. I intentionally annoyed him because he had repeatedly annoyed me just prior. He was kind enough to point out to me that whatever he said was correct and that in fact, it was he that owned the road by virtue of the fact that he paid road tax.

I thanked this white-tracksuit top clad gentleman for pointing out to me the error of my ways, apologised for my misdemeanour, wished him a good day, and told him I would flog myself for atonement.

I short, I had a run in with a scumbag on a moped this morning. How does one converse with a moron? Are there classes one can take?

"fuck you you fucking cunt. I pay road tax. Everyone pays road tax you cunt. You pay cunting motor tax. You cunt. You idiot. Suck my dick. Fuck you. C'mon. You cunt. Cunt. Cunt. Cunt. I'll fucking kill you you inbred retard fuckwit. C'mon. Shithead. Scarednowlookatya. Fucking state. Learn how to use a moped cunt."

"fuck you you fucking cunt. I pay road tax. Everyone pays road tax you cunt. You pay cunting motor tax. You cunt. You idiot. Suck my dick. Fuck you. C'mon. You cunt. Cunt. Cunt. Cunt. I'll fucking kill you you inbred retard fuckwit. C'mon. Shithead. Scarednowlookatya. Fucking state. Learn how to use a moped cunt."

...takes notes...

Do take notes.

In other seanc bicycle news:

My helmet stopped me from cracking my skull on Tuesday. SRSLY. So, y'know, whatever the research might suggest, I'm gonna recommend people wear their helmets. And the taxi driver I ran into was quite sound about it all, which was good.

I have a question: You know how people talk about getting jittery after an accident. I've had two in the last month, which is a lot. And this last one really fucking hurt, but I don't have the jitters at all. Mostly I'm just embarrassed with all the people staring at me. And both times I yelled "WHOOOAA!" as I fell, like an idiot. Should I be worried? Am I going to do stupider and stupider things until I really do damage to myself? Or what?

Oh and I bought the SCR 3. Thus far it feels amazing. Can't say I like the colour but so be it. I got pedals at a slight reduction and the gayest looking shoes ever (on sale and in my size). Gonna try clipping in and out here in the gaff now.

The old bike, it's dieing. It feels like a granny.

Gwan the Sean.

Here, so you bought clipless pedals? And got yourself into debt to pay for the rothar nua?
Muhahaha.
I bet you are tear assing about the place now. Deadly.
Dont be worried about the shoes clipping in. When they are new they are a little tight too, so if you are scared clip in and out a lot to get the bits moving inside.

What were you crashing then, the old purple yoke?
Did you smash up your lid? Normally its my hands / shoulders / knees / hips that take the brunt of crashes. I dont think I actually hit my head off the ground yet.
Maybe once off a motorbike.
A bike flipped up in the air and nailed me in the head once though.
Right in the center of the stem to noggin.
Blood central.
People staring central.
Staggering about telling everyone I'm grand and dripping blood all over the shop central.

People looking at you getting up from a crash always have great expressions. I had a couple of mental knocks on the motorbike. Its like they are seeing someone rise from the dead.

although... not in NYC. No one gives a fuck here. They just give you a glance, a slight tossing of the head, and possibly a muttered "douche", and they continue about their business.

The new bikes not leaving the gaff till I get a couple of decent locks, though I may take it for a spin on Sunday or something. I'm already fairly sure I can handle the pedals.
Yeah, crashed the purple yoke. I was really tired and lost concentration for a second. So followed a dramatic, intense, 3kph collision with the back of a slow moving taxi, which flipped me over. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a long way to the ground when you're 6'4".

Ah yeah, I fell drifted off on a bike once, and slammed into a parked car doing about 5 mph.
It was quite sore alright, probably because I didnt realise I was going to hit it, I just ended up on the bonnet sans bike.

Naturally, I had a quick look around, gathered the bike up, and legged it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back