Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

When I took up cycling I chose to wear one because as a driver I know it's much easier to see cyclists who wear them

So you all think Ireland is ahead of the curve by expecting cyclists to wear hi-viz stuff? I think if you tried to introduce it in Holland or Denmark or wherever people would think you're mad.
Or Switzerland even but then even those countries will have lots of different habits between them

i wasn't aware it was a thing in ireland
That's my point, with the exception of London perhaps, it is a singularly Irish thing. I cycled in New York for years, probably equivalent to Dublin in terms of hazards, and I never once saw anyone wearing a high viz top, or anywhere in continental Europe for that matter.

At night I get it, but I don't get how you can't see a cyclist in broad daylight by virtue of them just being there? Why not insist on lights as well then, as they do with cars in Denmark all the time? In all honestly I think it makes a negligible difference and expecting cyclists to wear it during the day is a nanny-State mentality.

At night I get it, but I don't get how you can't see a cyclist in broad daylight by virtue of them just being there? Why not insist on lights as well then, as they do with cars in Denmark all the time? In all honestly I think it makes a negligible difference and expecting cyclists to wear it during the day is a nanny-State mentality.
it was very eye-opening when i started driving how easy it would be to miss a cyclist; i'm a lot cagier on the bike since.

more visible is good

Anyone tried these handlebar mounts you can get for your phone?

Yeah, I've one with a waterproof case for the phone that clips on securely. I use Strava on my phone for tracking my cycle, can monitor my distance, average speed, etc. and send the odd text while waiting at the lights with ease.

That's my point, with the exception of London perhaps, it is a singularly Irish thing. I cycled in New York for years, probably equivalent to Dublin in terms of hazards, and I never once saw anyone wearing a high viz top, or anywhere in continental Europe for that matter.

I think it's more to do with how bad drivers are in Ireland and how many don't bother looking out cyclists.

More victim blaming I presume?

Yeah

"so smart...yet so dumb"

That kind of thing

Lots of Darwin stuff.

"I feel for the truck driver" etc etc

"With all the technical skills this doctor had, and her potential to help humanity, it might have been prudent for her to avoid this particular pastime."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back