Jaysus cycling! (14 Viewers)

There's lateral movement in cleats that you just don't get with straps or flat pedals, much better for your knees. the pull on the way back up is minimal but there. One thing I like about toe clips/cages like Unicron's bike has is your feet will sit in the right place every time but there's no need to have them done up tight or anything, just have them tight enough that you can slide your foot in and out easy.

Personally I use something like but with DMR V12s with a bunch of the studs removed. strap is loose enough to slide in and out easy but tight enough to pull on for skid stops. Have the time I only use the right strap as that's my breaking leg.

Horizontal_strap700-600x600.jpg

I'll take it out for a proper go after work and see how I get on, I might take them off.
you'll get used to them. With cleats everyone can expect to clip-out once before getting the hang of them. I remember doing it and falling sideways into some grass at a roundabout in Bray. Now I wouldn't even come close to it happening.

I say give it time. If you're still iffy about them in a few days then take them off

you'll get used to them. With cleats everyone can expect to clip-out once before getting the hang of them. I remember doing it and falling sideways into some grass at a roundabout in Bray. Now I wouldn't even come close to it happening.

I say give it time. If you're still iffy about them in a few days then take them off

The cons seem to majorly outweigh the pros.

I use clips with the strap taken out. Keeps my foot in the right place and don't have to worry about stopping suddenly in traffic etc.

If I was going for a spin down to Wicklow though I'd use cleats. Huge difference in one's cadence and great for climbing out of the saddle and putting the hammer down.

Grrrrr.

I don't do city cycling so cleats all the way. My commute to work is Sandyford to Maynooth so mainly long stretches of bike lanes/bus lanes along the suburbs til I reach the N4 and out to Leixlip.

That looks real nice

It's deadly. I love the internal hub gears. Not what you want if you are riding up and down mountains but for mostly cycling around the city they are great. I was riding a battered old Raleigh for years prior to this. It's like buying a Porsche after driving a Ford Fiesta.

do womens' bikes (as in the traditional dropped top tube geometry) still sell much?
my understanding is that they're made like that to spare the blushes of women (or men, i suppose) cycling in skirts.

do womens' bikes (as in the traditional dropped top tube geometry) still sell much?
my understanding is that they're made like that to spare the blushes of women (or men, i suppose) cycling in skirts.

city bikes, yes. I still see them a lot around town. There'd be no demand for the dropped top tube on a racer. If you look for 'women's racers, generally you're shown smaller versions of lads bikes (with pink bits on them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back