JAMES CHANCE, CAP PAS CAP / THE VIOLETS & STAGGER LEE - OCT 5/6 w/MAXIMUM JOY (1 Viewer)

Raar - Maximum

Website
www.myspace.com
Hey Everyone,

Next up for Maximum Joy are two nights as part of the WANTED WEEKENDER (Oct 4th -7th). Guests at our club night on Friday 5th in Kennedys will be The Violets and Stagger Lee. The following night we are delighted to present Post Punk legend from NYC, James Chance & Les Contortions at The Sugar Club with what will be his debut Irish performance. Tickets for this gig are on sale in CITY DISCS and ROAD RECORDS. To find out more just scroll down the page...

For more information on the Wanted weekender and all of the other good things that are going on please check www.choicecutsonline.com for details.

Darren
MAXIMUM JOY
www.myspace.com/maximumjoyclub

05 OCTOBER
THE VIOLETS | STAGGER LEE | ALALAL (coldwave DJ set)
KENNEDYS, WESTLAND ROW
10pm til late
Adm: €10
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

06 OCTOBER
JAMES CHANCE | CAP PAS CAP | MAXIMUM JOY DJ's
SUGAR CLUB, LEESON ST
8pm til 11pm
Adm: €20

TICKETS FOR JAMES CHANCE ARE ON SALE AT CITY DISCS & ROAD RECORDS

JAMES CHANCE & LES CONTORTIONS (ZE RECORDS, NYC)
"The free form playing of Ornette Coleman with the solid funk rhythm of James Brown as though filtered through a punk rock lens."
A key figure of the 70s New York no wave set, James Chance is an incendiary musical pioneer. His radical punk funk, free jazz work-outs would go on to inspire future generations of art rockers, from Sonic Youth and John Spenser to The Rapture whose 'House of Jealous Lovers' track owes more than a passing debt to James Chance's 'Contort Yourself'.

This is James Chance's debut appearance in Ireland. It is not to be missed!

Quote:
"Always light years ahead of his time, back in the '70s Chance invented the '80s by melding punk and funk and dousing it with burst of free-jazz saxophone, Sun Ra-inspired head-fuck organ noise and organic disco beats." DROWNED IN SPACE

Further Information
www.choicecutsonline.com/upcoming/event-details.php?id=222
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Chance
www.myspace.com/jameschanceeuropetour

jameschancepic.jpg

CAP PAS CAP (SKINNY WOLVES, RALLY KLEE RECORDS)
CAP PAS CAP are a heady mix of disorder. Jagged guitar and irregular vocals vie with pulsating motorik rhythms to create a lean and dispassionate funk sound. Their first 12” ‘Not Not Is Fine’ sold out in a matter of weeks and they have shared stages with Les Georges Leningrad, Numbers, Crystal Castles, The Go Team and Gossip amongst others.

You will dance, drink whiskey til you get drunk and CAP PAS CAP will soundtrack your dreams!

Quote:
"Hints of bands like BUSH TETRAS, PYLON, early SONIC YOUTH and many more come to mind - but the best thing is that CAP PAS CAP turn all this into a sound of their own! Not only the best thing out of Ireland since many many years, but maybe as well one of the best records of this and last year!" - X-MIST, Germany

Further Information
www.myspace.com/cappascap

CapPasCapLeaves_tmb.jpg

THE VIOLETS (ANGULAR RECORDS)
The Violets are four punk fantasists from London who set out to create a sinister mood with elemental and triumphant pop music. Drawing inspiration from a range of disparate influences such as Neue Deutsche Welle, David Lynch and French Coldwave, The Violets have created a monochrome corner of their own.

The Violets play with stripped-down ferocity, they're earthshakingly powerful and equally spatial by turns. Their debut album 'The Lost Pages' shifts comfortably from raucous garage punk (Forget Me Not) to Coldwave disco (Co-Plax, Troubles Of Keneat), via moments of sheer pop (Shade To Be, Parting Glances) tender reflection (Nature Of Obsession) and Hunky Dory-esque classic songwriting (Half Light).

By turns they can be disturbing violent art-punk or soothing and melodically poised, yet all the while retaining a sense of otherworldliness.

Further Information
www.myspace.com/thevioletsuk

theviolets_280807_shot2-052herosm.jpg

STAGGER LEE
Stagger Lee began 2007 with a debaucherous NYE gig and spent the early part of the year preparing for the release of their debut single 'Bad Shoes' which came out on their own Label Split Lip Records on Friday 13th April. The single comes with some tasty fetish artwork and includes the video for 'Bad Shoes' shot by the notorious Love Action. Their sound embodies the spirit of Robert Johnson's Devil-at-the-crossroads and Mavis Staples sultry gospel cry combined with the energy and attitude of The Stooges, The Cramps and Siouxsie Sioux.

Highlights to date have included appearances with The Kills, Jon Spencer Blues Xplosion, The Duke Spirit, Sleater Kinny, The Long Blondes, The Drones, The Priscillas, Little Barrie and Pink Grease in the notorious White Trash club in Berlin. Stagger Lee were also invited to play at the Irish launch night of the European MySpace Festival and the Fringe Festival's beautiful Speigeltent in 2006.

Further Information
www.myspace.com/staggerleeband

497706256_l.jpg

that's my birthday as well, wkd! lets make eachother homemade cards!

and i'll be just coming out the far side of my birthday!

was gonna go for a low low profile birthday this year. see how many people forget about it. not internerd people- just people who wont read this here. my family and all. should be interesting.

Some Stagger Lee video action
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and some Violets live action

and video

that's my birthday as well, wkd! lets make eachother homemade cards!

Only if there's going to be scratch cards in them!!..that, or at least scratch and sniff.

I'm debating what last bits of crap i can squeeze in before i offically reach the end of my twenties...any suggestions? I'll have no excuses after this.
...bahhhhh grow old disgracefully .|..|

..... there'll always be a boob crunch waiting for ya no matter how old you get D!

This is going to be a savage show and likely to be his last time in Europe for a couple of years. I caught his set with the original contortions a couple of years ago at Vincent Gallos ATP and he took my breath away.
Imagine James Brown inhabited with the spirit of Johnny Rotten and choreographed by David Lynch// has to be seen to be believed!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back