• Replies 21
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 1

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Anyone here ever been? What's it like?

Is it the kind of place you can wander around unmolested or is it hassle-city?

amazing city. one of the best i've been to, up there with new york. should be fine wondering around, just use the same cop on you would in any city. the hawkers can take some getting used to but just take them with good humour and you won't be bothered. the worst thing you can do is get annoyed with them- it'll ruin your time there....

Cheers!

C'mon elaborate on the amazingness .... and the hawkers.

amazing city. one of the best i've been to, up there with new york. should be fine wondering around, just use the same cop on you would in any city. the hawkers can take some getting used to but just take them with good humour and you won't be bothered. the worst thing you can do is get annoyed with them- it'll ruin your time there....

It is a truly amazing city. Just awe inspiring architecture, history and vibe. Cheap, good public transport, laid back attitude. It does go on for miles though and some of the food in the touristy areas can be pure crap, but if you dig around you will rewarded.

The hawkers target anyone who looks like they aren’t local. They ask you the time, tell you you dropped something, ask where you are from, anything to get you to stop. I just ignored them. I didn’t have time to explore as much as I wanted but Tokapi palace, Hagh Sophia and Sultanahmed are all must sees

Anyone got any tips/experiences on flight prices/airlines etc... Been looking around this morning but seems quite pricey going from UK. Does anywhere go direct from Dublin???

I stayed in Sultanahmet which is the old part of the city and has most of the well-known tourist sites like the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace and Hagia Sophia. The main shopping and going out areas are about a half hour walk away in the Beyoglu area near Taksim Square, but there's still lots of pubs, restaurants etc in the area. I'd definitely recommend it. However, we were there in February when it was almost tourist-free so it's possible that it might get very crowded if you were there in summer.

Ok so, goin' to Istanbul soon. There's day trips from The 'Bul to Gallipoli and Troy. I'd really like to see Gallipoli especially, but Troy would also be good. Has anyone gone on one of these day trips? Is it worth it? It's 300km to Gallipoli and nealy 500km to Troy. I like my history, and Gallipoli's important to Irish folks, but it seems like I'd be spending most of my time on a bus....

Right, well, I don't know where to start. For history, culture, architecture, Istanbul is pretty much an essential place to go. It's only failing might be that you don't know enough to appreciate it fully, in that there's just so much to see.

I was going to write a really long post about my time there, but I don't think I'd be able to do the place justice. If anyone at any point in the future has any questions I'd be happy to relate my experience, such as it is.

As regards my own post about day trips, I didn't make it to Gallipoli or Troy. It's a 12 hour round trip to Gallipoli, and while single day trips from Istanbul do exist, they're not really worth doing.
I did however take a day trip to the Black Sea, which is only an hour away. Also, I took a boat from Istanbul to the Princes Islands, Heybeliada specifically, which is also very close and extremely beautiful.

Istanbul is a truly extraordinary place.

Sigh. Lucky divil. Was hoping to get one of these Abbey Travel specials this month, but it cannae be done...

Did you know that Istanbul used to be Constantinople? But now it's Istanbul. Not Constantinople. It has been a long time gone, now, has Constantinople. But the question is: why, why, why did Constantinople get the works? I suppose that's none of our business, really. Perhaps the denizens of Turkey know, but don't want to share this info.

I'd have to put Istanbul in with Cork City as one of my 2 most disappointing destinations ever.
Spent both trips thinking "What's all the fuss about?" & "Where's the nice bit?".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back