ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (3 Viewers)

re supporting artists:

How much does having a paypal donation button on your website cost?
How many bands do it ? If not why not ?

A podcast I listen to recently stopped because the people got laid off from their day jobs, some of them set up a new podcast and a website with a donation button and the ended up getting over 10 grand in donations which they spent on better recording equipment. Also lots of other podcasts have donation drives every now and again which pays for the bandwidth and probably more if they are popular.

I'd love to see the same model work for or at least help out smaller independent muscians.
You put your material out for free, people donate on your
website based on how much they can afford, how much they like your stuff and how much they would like to hear more stuff.

I know radiohead, nine inch nails tried it with varying success but in that case you were just paying for the album. I think the donation emphasis should be on the act of commissioning more albums\material for smaller bands.

since when did musicians become charity cases?
it seems like people want to give money to musicians to "help them out" or "support them" instead of paying for their music.

Since the act of copying and distributing music became trivial.
I agree though, 'donate' has connotations of charity.
'Commission' would be a better word to have on a paypal button.

re supporting artists:

A podcast I listen to recently stopped because the people got laid off from their day jobs, some of them set up a new podcast and a website with a donation button and the ended up getting over 10 grand in donations which they spent on better recording equipment. Also lots of other podcasts have donation drives every now and again which pays for the bandwidth and probably more if they are popular.

I'd love to see the same model work for or at least help out smaller independent muscians.
website based on how much they can afford, how much they like your stuff and how much they would like to hear more stuff.

I know radiohead, nine inch nails tried it with varying success but in that case you were just paying for the album. I think the donation emphasis should be on the act of commissioning more albums\material for smaller bands.

Who would really donate though seriously? On a small level like? I think Kieran Goss or someone like that did something similar years ago though.

it seems like people want to give money to musicians to "help them out" or "support them" instead of paying for their music.

I see your point but people wouldn't have to think like that if other people weren't nicking their music off the musicians. Ideally, musicians should be making something sellable, but if there's no way it can be, then their status is reduced to busker, reliant on taking whatever people will give them. Can you think of a better way of doing it? Music is one of the most valuable things our society has. If the only way of sustaining it is through donations, then that's better than nothing. The only other way is to guilt people into not downloading for free, and that'll never work as either (a) they can do it without anyone knowing, (b) they will always find some sort of justification for it, or (c) they just won't give a damn what people think.

re supporting artists:

re: paypal button: nothing.

www.cashmusic.org is pretty good for this kind of thing in my opinion.

Who would really donate though seriously? On a small level like? I think Kieran Goss or someone like that did something similar years ago though.

Probably only people who are really into music and can afford it, so yeah for a small band not that many but how much is a small band going to make from record sales alone anyway? I'd like to know how yer man Goss got on.

I think we're in the period now where most 10-25 year olds feel that music flows freely from the internet and they don't have to pay for it, hence the sabre rattles of the major labels and the unfortunate demise of bricks and mortar record stores. If it were made very easy for those downloaders to contribute money directly to bands with the knowledge that the more they contribute the more frequent and higher quality the future releases of those bands would be, then more people would do it.

re: paypal button: nothing.

www.cashmusic.org is pretty good for this kind of thing in my opinion.

yeah that's the sort of thing i mean, It'll benefit from a collective approach to get it off the ground and market it but i think it should ultimately evolve into just giving money directly to artists you like in compensation for enjoying the previous output and/or investing in the future output.

If it were made very easy for those downloaders to contribute money directly to bands with the knowledge that the more they contribute the more frequent and higher quality the future releases of those bands would be, then more people would do it.

It wouldn't matter because most of these bands would still release music and you could still get it for zilch anyway so why would some 10-25 year old bother their arse donating?
How many people pay to use this site?

It wouldn't matter because most of these bands would still release music and you could still get it for zilch anyway so why would some 10-25 year old bother their arse donating?

Yeah it would also take a shift in consciousness too, but i'd rather be guilting them into donating than guilting them into not downloading, which is futile anyway.

I've often downloaded something i really liked and had real trouble finding it in a store or for sale online. If i could google the band name, go to a site and compensate with a small amount of money I would.

Meshuggah said:
How many people pay to use this site?
> 0

I've often downloaded something i really liked and had real trouble finding it in a store or for sale online. If i could google the band name, go to a site and compensate with a small amount of money I would.

There's very little that's hard to find for sale online anymore. Most bands, unless really really obscure (in which case they're giving their music away free anyway probably), have sites where they sell their music in download or cd/vinyl. I appreciate the sentiment but donating as a model just won't work.

why are you so against paying for music in any way whatsoever?

well, I do, em, i'm sure others have.

I appreciate the sentiment but donating as a model just won't work.

do you have the figures to back such a definitive and final statement?

where's anthony?

The band, still unhappy with their record label situation, decided that it would be trying a radical experiment by asking their fans if they would help fund the recording of the next album by pre-ordering it before recording even started. They result was over 12,000 pre-orders which raised enough money to record and release Anoraknophobia in 2001.[17] The band was able to strike a deal with EMI to also help distribute the album. This allowed Marillion to retain all the rights to their music while enjoying commercial distribution. The success of Anoraknophobia allowed the band to start recording their next album, but they decided to leverage their fanbase once again to help raise money towards marketing and promotion of a new album. The band put up the album for pre-order in mid-production. This time fans responded by pre-ordering 18,000 copies.[18]
Marbles was released in 2004 with a 2-CD version that is only available at Marillion's website - kind of a 'thank-you' gesture to the 18,000+ fans who pre-ordered it, and as even a further thanks to the fans, their names were credited in the sleeve notes (this 'thank you' to the fans also occurred with the previous album, Anoraknophobia).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back