ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (1 Viewer)

jimmybreeze

anyone get a solicitors letter yet?
Pretty worrying =

Irish Court Orders ISPs To Identify P2P Users
June 08, 2007 - Global | Digital and Mobile | Legal and Management

By Nick Kelly, Dublin

The Irish Recorded Music Association on Thursday won a landmark ruling in the High Court in Dublin forcing six Internet service providers (ISPs) to reveal the names and addresses of individuals engaged in alleged illegal file-sharing.

The ruling is the culmination of a six-month operation undertaken by the industry body to stem the tide of Internet piracy in Ireland. IRMA says that it has targeted 23 individuals involved in the alleged illegal distribution of copyrighted music files. It maintains that five individuals are alone responsible for 108,000 shared illegal files, with one individual responsible for 37,500 files.

The judge ordered the six ISPs -- Digiweb, Smart Telecom, Irish Broadband, NTL, Eircom and Imagine -- to provide IRMA with the names and addresses of all twenty-three people involved.

To date the body has prosecuted some 66 individuals, 61 of which have paid financial penalties.

Dick Doyle, director general of IRMA, said the individuals involved are stealing from the artists and affecting the livelihood of many people in the music industry. He added that the association would do everything in its power to ensure they are brought to justice.

Thursday's ruling comes a week after trade body the British Phonographic Industry, with the help of IRMA, successfully prosecuted operators of Internet retailer CD Wow for illegally importing CDs and music DVDs from outside the EEA and selling them to U.K. and Ireland residents.

Id say Mr. 37,500 files is fucked.
I wonder what the fine would be.
If it was a case of paying the artist the paltry sum that they would get anyway that would be fine,but if it was a case of suing for copyright infringement,id imagine that thatd be another case entirely

You'll be servin' HAAAAAAAAARD time.

big_boss_man_from_wwf.jpg

Am i right in understanding that you're safe if you're using a private tracker (like demonoid) for torrents, that it's only soulseek users and such that they're after.

I always understood that it was serial uploaders and,as IRMA represent the majors,people sharing major label stuff taht they were after.Basically stuff that would definately lose them money,Im not sure what kind of system theyre using now though

Am i right in understanding that you're safe if you're using a private tracker (like demonoid) for torrents, that it's only soulseek users and such that they're after.

as far as i know, they're on prosecuting on grounds of taste. Like if i had downloaded 'Deep' from East 17 or perhaps some Savage Garden, they'd pound my ass in the courts, but if i had something worthy like Avro Part they'd be all cool. as far as i know.

i think its the likes of Kazaa, limewire and soulseek are the p2p file sharing users that will be gotten. and only if youre uploading or sharing a big folder or something. i really really really hope its not torrents and sites like albumbase.com.

as far as i know, they're on prosecuting on grounds of taste. Like if i had downloaded 'Deep' from East 17 or perhaps some Savage Garden, they'd pound my ass in the courts, but if i had something worthy like Avro Part they'd be all cool. as far as i know.
Do they get nostalgia with a bit of irony? Was gonna upload a rip of A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica to demonoid later today.

they should get their IP addresses, track them down, then pay them to say thank you for helping them promote their music.

I recall downloading an album illegally once. As a result of that download, they sold 4 copies of the album, 4 concert tickets and other money on merchandise at the gig.

That band made a couple of hundred quid from a single download.

If I were in a band, I'd be encouraging people to share my stuff.

they should get their IP addresses, track them down, then pay them to say thank you for helping them promote their music.

I recall downloading an album illegally once. As a result of that download, they sold 4 copies of the album, 4 concert tickets and other money on merchandise at the gig.

that is exactly my opinion as well.....

I think a lot of bands feel that way

but it's not the bands that are doing the heavy legal shit, it's made up organisations like IRMA who, come the revoloution, will have no role in the music industry...

I wonder what IRMA do with the $$$, I know they track radio play and pay out accordingly, if someone downloaded a Stoat album, amongst others, and got fined £60,000... do IRMA make sure Stoat get their $$$???

huh?

That's fine.
Do you think the majority of illegal downloads generate the same kind of income for bands?

Peerguardian, people. Peerguardian.

apparently what they were doing with soulseek was downloading a file from you,and recording your IP address,a dodgy practice,but would peerguardian prevent them from being able to reach proples soulseek,or is it primarily bittorrent based?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back