is it possible to tell if a windows xp disc is service pack 2 or what? (1 Viewer)

Morning all. Can I install windows xp from anyones disc and then register it with windows using my own activation/registration code from the back of the PC? I gave my xp disc to the niece a few years ago and she never gave it back.

Morning all. Can I install windows xp from anyones disc and then register it with windows using my own activation/registration code from the back of the PC? I gave my xp disc to the niece a few years ago and she never gave it back.

i'm going to say yes BUT lots of "xp disks" are actually system restore disks & will most likely only work on a specific manufacturer's hardware. i think.

Id say you'd be fine once you match up the Service Pack with the one you have a licence for. I installed Windows 7 with a Dell restore disk on a puter i built myself and it worked. In My Computer properties it thinks its a Dell that was the only thing

You can deffo do this. I was doing some nixers a while back and reinstalled plenty of OSs. I ended up having a whole load of DVDs of different versions of windows. Just make sure you download the same version i.e. home or professional. Try to get an OEM version of the disc on a torrent. This always worked for me and I could use the original product key that was on the PC.

I've been trying to do this reinstallation thing. I downloaded an XP iso and burned it using nero set to cd-rom (boot) option, then i set the bios to boot from the cd-rom. When i boot the pc i get the following message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:" with a little flashing cursor after it and it doesnt do anymore. What am I doing wrong?

I've been trying to do this reinstallation thing. I downloaded an XP iso and burned it using nero set to cd-rom (boot) option, then i set the bios to boot from the cd-rom. When i boot the pc i get the following message "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:" with a little flashing cursor after it and it doesnt do anymore. What am I doing wrong?

use the Recorder > Burn Image option in Nero instead

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back