is it possible to tell if a windows xp disc is service pack 2 or what? (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
I have a 'backup' copy of xp pro here. I need to know if it's a service pack version 2 disc. anyone know if this is possible? I'm installing xp on a partition on a mac; installing an earlier version of xp and then upgrading to service pack 2 isn't an option unfortunately. help!!!

cool... right click / properties / version:

file version 5.1.2600.0

haha. I just did something hilariously dumb. copying text on one computer and trying to paste it on another... duhhhh

yeah... that's what I'm wondering too! I'm using boot camp to set up a partition running xp on a macbook pro, and the instructions explicitly state that the installation disc must be service pack 2 or higher... to quote: "do not install an earlier version of windows and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later". sounds serious. you can install any version of vista though; maybe I should track a copy of that down.

the other problem is, I've gone through my phone, and I basically know NOBODY in cork with a pc. insane!

would downloading a torrent be extremely unwise I wonder?

does the windows installation have to be off CD?
what you could do is copy the CD to disc, and slipstream the service pack onto the installation files (basically, apply the service pack to the installation files), and run it from there, or even copy it back onto CD.

I'm.. not sure. this is what the manual says:

Apple said:
Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro or a MacBook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

maybe the slipstreaming option is a possibility.

I just realised I haven't used vista yet. or seen it. weird.

I'm.. not sure. this is what the manual says:

maybe the slipstreaming option is a possibility.

I just realised I haven't used vista yet. or seen it. weird.

Vista sucks.

i've had no problems with Vista so far.

I've seen no improvements since Windows 95 but that's hardly the point

are you running xp on a mac? how you finding it?

slipstreaming it is then. something to do for the weekend: great. thanks for the help everybody :)

hey plug

if the slipstreaming doesn't work out pm me your address and i will send a bootable xpsp2 cd down to you. I installed it on 2 friends macbooks, works great according to them!!!

weird.......

I'm typing this on xp. on my mac. a bit surreal, but it means it worked. slipstreaming worked a treat; the only pain in the arse was burning a bootable cd that worked. that took two attempts and a little research to get right. took fucking AGES to install as well...

anyway, thanks again for the advice, and the cd offers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back