Irish "tour circuit" (1 Viewer)

niallmc said:
Alternatively a look at this. Sene me your email addresses and I'll update it. The addresses I have used are all in the public domain so permission isn't needed in these cases. Oh yeah here's the link www.thumped.com/hope/RptPromoterDetails.html
Jesus Niall!!! You're keen. It would maybe be handy if an obvious link was on eirecore?

Re: Irish "tour circuit" Ballinanana?

Clodagh said:
will someone please, oh please, post or pm me with details for these mythical people who put gigs on in Ballina. thanks.

See,wouldnt it be handy?

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Jesus Niall!!! You're keen. It would maybe be handy if an obvious link was on eirecore?
There's hosting space for a resurrection of the eirecore site available if wanted.

the internet is all well and good but in terms of bashing out ideas there's nothing like the real world where ppl digress less (i think). There seem to be a lot of ideas up in the air around eirecore at the moment (as a more or less passive observer this is what i think anyways..)

So why doesnt everybody meet up and have a discussion about this internet lark?
if that makes any sense?

Meeting up would be good. but is it likely to involve as many people? I'm surprised how long this thread has lasted without any bullshit posts. I would imagine the meeting would end up being discussed here anyway? But yes,I'm up for it. It would need to be an open invite though.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned here is transport. anybody got a legal van for passengers? What about costs for renting. Anyone up for driving? It would be handy if non irish bands could fly here and be picked up and driven around. That's whats happened when I've gone on tour anyway.

as far as cork is concerned.... leo's done a good few gigs but is not really interested anymore, as noel said he's only really up for doing it for people he knows (as is my understanding).

as far as myself, eoin and brian are concerned, Rebel County doesnt really exist anymore. we just do occasional gigs for bands we like or as favours to our friends if they're in a jam. Gigs are just too much fucking hassle here, Fredz is like the only venue we can get free (and trust me, we never have the crowds to build up a fund for this shit... nor do we have money to do it out of pocket). plus, doing gigs can be pretty crap all round.

What about if the "list" had short pieces of info on whoever does the gigs. You could mention that venues are unreliable,or can only do one gig a month or whatever is relevant? I don't know if that would be helpful or offputting.
I may have mentioned something along those lines in an earlier post.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Meeting up would be good. but is it likely to involve as many people? I'm surprised how long this thread has lasted without any bullshit posts. I would imagine the meeting would end up being discussed here anyway? But yes,I'm up for it. It would need to be an open invite though.
I'd be up for meeting. Any sugestions when? I'm not available Wed - Fri this week (Aug 18 - 20th). As for being keen Gary, not really it's just that it seems like somethnig that should be done

damien said:
there is more division than ever between "punk" and "indie"

i think that applies to everywhere nowadays. even though it was before my time, think about the days of Hope: they put on stuff like therapy? and also the likes of Refused. i dont think there are many promoters around now that would cover such a broad range.

Alan Remorse said:
i think that applies to everywhere nowadays. even though it was before my time, think about the days of Hope: they put on stuff like therapy? and also the likes of Refused. i dont think there are many promoters around now that would cover such a broad range.

Alan I think you'll find Jill and Damo are still covering the massive diverse scene we have in the DIY, what with putting on just about any type of band you could ever name. (there's a pretty big gap between Hero Dishonest and The Murder of Rosa Luxemberg). But I think Damo's point is more along the lines that the 'punk' scene plays alot less with the 'indie' bands than it used to.
I can kinda see from this thread that the rest of the country really isn't like Damo and Jill, just seeing you guys posting about Freds and seeing Dave from waiting room doing other gigs there(cork) but he's nowhere to be found in this discussion.
Also I just remember when 'things your missing' started and I knew most of the heads involved in that and was involved myself, now they all seem to be in a completely different scene to us (punks) whilst before we were all just independant promoters/bands/etc. (And oh on their website is a complete list of people putting on gigs in Ireland right now)
I think maybe all we need is a little database set up where people but in their details, I guess maybe a mini Book You Own Fucking Life type thing yeah?

And oh, having a meeting in Dublin about the whole country is kinda centralised don't you think?

Stephen said:
And oh, having a meeting in Dublin about the whole country is kinda centralised don't you think?
Yes it bloody well is a!But i`ll travel for it - book me in to Jurys and i`ll see wha i can do.
Someone will have to set me up with a few patchs and dreads before the meeting though - i`m a clean looking lad loike!

Alan Remorse said:
as far as cork is concerned.... leo's done a good few gigs but is not really interested anymore, as noel said he's only really up for doing it for people he knows (as is my understanding).

as far as myself, eoin and brian are concerned, Rebel County doesnt really exist anymore. we just do occasional gigs for bands we like or as favours to our friends if they're in a jam. Gigs are just too much fucking hassle here, Fredz is like the only venue we can get free (and trust me, we never have the crowds to build up a fund for this shit... nor do we have money to do it out of pocket). plus, doing gigs can be pretty crap all round.

This is my second time being mentioned here so I'd better add my 2c

I'd have to agree with what most of what Alan says, gigs can be a pain in the hole sometimes, but then again some gigs can be very rewarding nights for all concerned, remember Madman is Absolute Alan?

As for my part in doing gigs i pretty much got into it because there were some bands I wanted to see in Cork that werent making it down this far anymore plus I wanted to see how hard it actually was to put on a gig, and to my surprise I found it was actually quite easy if you thought the whole thing through beforehand and organised yourself a little

As for doing it for 'people I know' that was mainly a consideration that I was only acting on recommendations of people I either knew pretty well or that I could trust not to send a bunch of petulant fuckwits my direction

And its not that I'm not interested in doing gigs anymore its just that everything was getting a bit out of hand there for a while in the may-july period with multiple gigs, going on tour with the rev lads etc etc so I decided to put my hand up and mailed the people that would normally ask me for gigs and basically say I'm not putting on any gigs where the buck stops with me solely until at least September. The next gigs I'm actually going to do are The can kickers and the Pine Hill haints in October and depending how I feel after that I may start putting on a few shows again

Enough about my pitiful woes, the lact of venues in Cork is a problem plus the lack of a 'scene' per se also, gigs that the My remorse lads and I and Rhona put on seem to attract the same faithful with some extras here and there. All that being said and done I'd gladly have my name added to a list once I get off my sun lounger in Bali and end my holiday from gig doing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back