Irish "tour circuit" (2 Viewers)

error type 11 said:
I'd have to agree with what most of what Alan says, gigs can be a pain in the hole sometimes, but then again some gigs can be very rewarding nights for all concerned, remember Madman is Absolute Alan?

haha yeah, that was a fuckin savage night.

i think i'm just sick of the "hit and miss" nature of putting on gigs... some of them are a laugh and some of them are waaaaay too much hassle in the end.

but then, it just depends on how committed you are to the XcauseX....

just a couple of thoughts on some of the above.

is there any reason why there should be links between indie and punk? what is there to link the two? does anyone for example feel put out about the relationship between the punk and mod, metal or alt country scenes at present?

i think the development of things like punkforit and the emergence of punk bands from out of the blast sphere of influence is more interesting than trying to form links with bands who are musically miles away from punk.

also i think there isn't as wide a variety of bands coming over as is stated above, the majority of bands that come over are of the crust or post rock variety which some people just dont like.

obviously they should get off their arses and sort out their own stuff but there is far less variety i think in ireland than say when the gz and temple were both operating for example. maybe this is part of the reason that things may seem to be in decline, variety being the spice of life and all that.

bohs punks said:
is there any reason why there should be links between indie and punk? what is there to link the two?.
Any reason why they`re should`nt?

bohs punks said:
also i think there isn't as wide a variety of bands coming over as is stated above, the majority of bands that come over are of the crust or post rock variety which some people just dont like.
Arrested Development, Vaz, & Hero Dishonest all on the way in the next 2 months...

Ahh...i get your point alright though..........the link is`nt very strong these days.

bohs punks said:

is there any reason why there should be links between indie and punk? what is there to link the two? does anyone for example feel put out about the relationship between the punk and mod, metal or alt country scenes at present?

I imagine that the link would be an ideological one between punk and indie, no?

bohs punks said:
just a couple of thoughts on some of the above.

i think the development of things like punkforit and the emergence of punk bands from out of the blast sphere of influence is more interesting than trying to form links with bands who are musically miles away from punk.

obviously they should get off their arses and sort out their own stuff but there is far less variety i think in ireland than say when the gz and temple were both operating for example. maybe this is part of the reason that things may seem to be in decline, variety being the spice of life and all that.
i'd be more inclined to go and see bands that some might consider 'indie' than bands doing the old punk rock formula, if it's an interesting sound. as weeler said, punk's essentially an ideology for me. i mean, i wouldn't describe the killing spree as a punk band in terms of music... but that's just me

Stephen said:
just seeing you guys posting about Freds and seeing Dave from waiting room doing other gigs there(cork) but he's nowhere to be found in this discussion.
dave is a mate of ours and himself and leo give each other a hand with gigs...
the venues that dave uses are not punk/hardcore/curst/metal friendly, although one does seem to be becoming more tolerant but dave is the only one who has access to it and he is busy enough with his gigs......
i don't think he reads this board hence the lack of comment.....
the venue situation in cork needs to be explained offline over many pints because the crap that goes on between promoters, owners, people in general is astonishing for a city this small......

bohs punks said:

didn't you question the organisers of the 'big bang' all dayer for not having any punk bands playing at it (and yet never have non-punk bands play your own fests..)?

i'm guessing there's a typo in what you wrote though...whatever..i could care less about what's punk or indie..s'all just music.
andrew

CEREMONIALDEATH said:
didn't you question the organisers of the 'big bang' all dayer for not having any punk bands playing at it (and yet never have non-punk bands play your own fests..)?

i'm guessing there's a typo in what you wrote though...whatever..i could care less about what's punk or indie..s'all just music.
andrew
I would have liked to have had a few punk bands on the bill for the Big Bang. Unfortunately I don't really know enough punk bands... I would have liked it if Easpa Measa could play, but they playing with Discharge that night.
Have to go to more punk gigs to be honest... seeing as they are being put on out my way!

But yeah... there's very little difference in the ethos between indie and punk promoters, and when it comes down to it, it's like what Andy says.. .it's just music. People will listen to anything and everything these days.
If it's a deadly punk band, then they're a deadly band.

Good idea about contacts around Ireland.
Set up something to join up with http://www.tsjok.com. Or something along those lines...

I think a meeting would be a deadly idea and will definitely go along to it, blackfort
especially don't particularly proclaim their indieness, we're just interested in putting
on interesting events mixing art and any type of music, I also think the way to draw a
new crowd is to integrate all types from electronica, the hated singer/songwriter, punk
and classical, we really didn't know where to start with the big bang, punk band wise and had all the contacts for the people we put on already to hand so we
were going for ease of access and go-with-what-ya-know, because of the scale of the event, but we're all planning our own smaller scale projects in the coming months and years. So bring on the meeting start sharing contacts, and equipment maybe all promotors should take it on themselves with this meeting to get such stuff as the equipment library and other things off the ground, amps etc can't be
that hard to organise.
Whens the meeting? I'm there but don't make it on a weekend if possible.
Also we'll be having a blackfort meeting thursday week, where this stuff amongst a lot of other stuff will be discussed and the more people the better will let you know details if anyone is interested.

When I first put up the post for this discussion,I was thinking along the lines of DIY, not specifically punk,just people who wouldnt fuck people over. Let not get into a discussion about what is and isnt punk/indie. It'll just get silly.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
When I first put up the post for this discussion,I was thinking along the lines of DIY, not specifically punk,just people who wouldnt fuck people over. Let not get into a discussion about what is and isnt punk/indie. It'll just get silly.
I generally find the distinctions between musical categories too confusing anyhow. So is there going to be a meeting about this?
I'd still definitely be into helping out with this anyway I can.

sarah said:
So is there going to be a meeting about this?
I'd still definitely be into helping out with this anyway I can.
I dont know how successful a meeting would be. There would be people who would like to go but couldnt because of location. Whats the aim?
I think some regularly updated resource,probably online,was all I was thinking of. Unfortunately I dont have the knowledge to do it myself so I thought a discussion would be healthy.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I dont know how successful a meeting would be. There would be people who would like to go but couldnt because of location. Whats the aim?
I think some regularly updated resource,probably online,was all I was thinking of. Unfortunately I dont have the knowledge to do it myself so I thought a discussion would be healthy.
You're on the ball Gary.

Maybe something for Thumped to run? But there's enough web designers knocking around here to put a resource like this together.

Actually... fuck it... anyone interested in this, send a mail to [email protected] and I'll put together a list of names and contact details.

We can take it from there...

Larry Potter said:
You're on the ball Gary.

Maybe something for Thumped to run? But there's enough web designers knocking around here to put a resource like this together.

Actually... fuck it... anyone interested in this, send a mail to [email protected] and I'll put together a list of names and contact details.

We can take it from there...

I have the access to update all day/every day so if somebody designs I will do the necessary update's.
Send shit to [email protected]

So whats the plan? plenty of people kindly offered and even went ahead and did stuff,so whats it gonna be? It would need to be easy to find so a sticky or links off a load of relevant sites or something? Dont let this die before it's complete. lots of people seem into it and I dont see how it could be a bad thing. And all the promoters remember you dont have to put on everything,if the list is about it will be handy to fill dates.

CEREMONIALDEATH said:

andrew
Why would he have non-punk bands playing?! how often do you get to see one playing these days?! most of the bands around seem to be hardcore bands of some type!

"most of the bands around seem to be hardcore bands of some type!"

not really, there's lots of bands doing something different to your average hardcore band, i don't like most of them but there you go... they just play at different gigs to the hardcore bands...

thedonal said:

not really, there's lots of bands doing something different to your average hardcore band, i don't like most of them but there you go... they just play at different gigs to the hardcore bands...
If you have a lot of patience I could do you a tape. Are you in dublin?

thedonal said:

I never see punk bands! I must be missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back