Irish Times C4O review (2 Viewers)

ah no like, i love sarah. believe it or not, it's my special way of actually asking her if she plays a musical instrument. i hope you're not cross with me sarah. please don't be cross. i hope she answers me...

Originally posted by Hector Grey
oooooooooooooo haggy. oooooooooo dave hag. no. bad dog.

Originally posted by happy
ah no like, i love sarah. believe it or not, it's my special way of actually asking her if she plays a musical instrument. i hope you're not cross with me sarah. please don't be cross. i hope she answers me...

you.. it... what?
the day goes by rappa quick with tthe old booze dunt it buh?
and fuck you pal.

here, fuck the critics, i'm sure c4o didn't write their songs with the aim of pleasing journalists. they probably did it because they like playing together and they probably put the cd out because they liked how it sounded. as far as anyone else is concerned, i dare say they couldn't give a flying fuck... obviously they'll be delighted if people like it but as for an irish times journalist who's only ever heard 'closing time' by tom waits and maybe 'goo' by sonic youth, fuck 'em like!

Re: Your dead right Sarah

Originally posted by DontMugYourself
There is noting wrong with constructive criticism. it is infact a very good thing foir all the backpatters among us...

but, tell me how was this review 'constructive' it didn't make any constructive suggestions....it only made criticisms..if anything I thought it was deconstructive and a little bit 'knives out'

Thats just my opinion:D

My mistake, I didn't want to give the impression
that I thought this specific article was constructive.

But it is critiscm, something that never originates
from any one friendly with the bands or involved
in the dublin music scene.

Originally posted by happy
here, fuck the critics, i'm sure c4o didn't write their songs with the aim of pleasing journalists. they probably did it because they like playing together and they probably put the cd out because they liked how it sounded. as far as anyone else is concerned, i dare say they couldn't give a flying fuck... obviously they'll be delighted if people like it but as for an irish times journalist who's only ever heard 'closing time' by tom waits and maybe 'goo' by sonic youth, fuck 'em like!
Hear hear!

increasingly insular new music commune
I don't get this. It's been said over and over (by journalists mostly) and I don't think it's either true or relevant. Surely this 'commune', if it exists, is no more insular than say, the Godspeed family or any other scene anywhere. It's not like the majors are banging down the doors trying to sign any of Dublin's instrumental post-rock bands. Could 'self-sufficient' not be equally substituted for 'insular'?

coming last out of the trap they join a movement now swelling into stagnation.
Hmm, 3 bands and half a dozen CDs is a swelling movement is it? Methinks more swelling, more bands, more CDs are what's required to keep the ball rolling, not less.

Everybody, perhaps especially Irish people, are sensitive to criticism, particularly when, like this review, it offers no hope.

Originally posted by sarah
criticism...never originates from anyone...involved
Why only last night I was criticising the C4O with some members of some Dublin bands, who shall remain nameless. The line of thought ran thus: Andy is an amazing drummer, particularly on snare. If he stayed behind the kit for a full gig it would anchor the whole band much more satisfactorily than with the present set-up.

Re: Re: Your dead right Sarah

Originally posted by sarah
My mistake, I didn't want to give the impression
that I thought this specific article was constructive.

But it is critiscm, something that never originates
from any one friendly with the bands or involved

I agree with Sarah here: too many times I heard people who does understand of music saying: "The X band kicks ass" (just because they were friends) and then the mentioned band turned out to be absolutely crap!

This is bad for two reasons:

1) Doesn't help improving the music scene (when said to the band itself)

2) Boosts up people expectations which are definitely shattered when then they see the band

True that it's good to encourage your musician friends but some honest critic sometimes helps.

By the way, how can you get your CD reviewed on newspapers? You simply ask for a review, send a copy and that's it?

....Anybody?

insular. i like it. and it's not for want of trying to get out either.

fuck everyone. people who go home and listen to music or put on a dvd o read a book. fuck the. if it wasn't for us sad insular cunts and cunts like us all over the world, what would they listen to. that's critism for teh sake of it. like saying i hate cheese.

here, buh, the fucking canteen in here advertisies their sanglidges thusly: with swiss cheese.
question, how many differnet cheeses do youthink there are in switzerland?

does this make any sense?

Re: Re: Re: Your dead right Sarah

Originally posted by Alex

1) Doesn't help improving the music scene (when said to the band itself)

some bands, dare i say it, are just shit.

Re: Re: Re: Your dead right Sarah

Originally posted by Alex
I agree with Sarah here: too many times I heard people who does understand of music saying: "The X band kicks ass" (just because they were friends) and then the mentioned band turned out to be absolutely crap!
Hands up who remembers "the Dublin Nevermind"? ;)

how can you get your CD reviewed on newspapers? You simply ask for a review, send a copy and that's it?
You just send in a copy with a press pack (biog, discog, photo, etc), having first bought your chosen journalist many after hours drinks in Whelans. ;) ;)

happy, now you're talking shite.

the album is alright. competent. well-packaged. not as good as seeing them live.

what shit reasons for liking an album.

there's some good stuff on it, but really, the irish times fella has a point, and sarah has a point. we do sit around telling eachother we all think we're great. nobody wants to step on anyone's toes. i've been guilty of this as much as anyone else, but it's really got to the stage where people are afraid to say they don't like the jimmy cake or the c4o or the dudleys or whoever else because we're all being so nice.

now would one of you people please login as derek davis and agree with me.

here, i think andy's a deadly guitarist. i think he should play guitar all the time and i should join and play drums. imagine lads, imagine the craic we'd have, i'd bring loads of doobie to the practices an' all...

Originally posted by Keeror
Why only last night I was criticising the C4O with some members of some Dublin bands, who shall remain nameless. The line of thought ran thus: Andy is an amazing drummer, particularly on snare. If he stayed behind the kit for a full gig it would anchor the whole band much more satisfactorily than with the present set-up. [/B]

what???

i said i like the cd, didn't give any reasons for my liking.

i also said fuck the journalists.

me thinks it is you who is the one who is talking the shite silo. i genuinely like the cd. there's other cds out there which i think are shite.

Originally posted by silo
happy, now you're talking shite.

what pisses me off is that the review never even refers directly to the album, not even one particular song.
it just blathers the journo's preconceived ideas about the the c-4-zero.

why should the review even refer to TRM or the jimmy cake?
c4o were around for a full year before the present incarnation of the jimmy cake (neglecting das madman).
are c4o deducted points because it took them so long to release an album?
that 'last outta the trap' comment is bullshit and has nothing to do with the actual record.

jesus, i'd hate to see what they'll have to say by the time the coldspoon actually get around to releasing an album...

yeah, i'd hate to have to listen to it buh...

yo rojack, wak wak wak, moneky on your back, black black black.

Originally posted by ronan
jesus, i'd hate to see what they'll have to say by the time the coldspoon actually get around to releasing an album...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back