Irish rebels songs go politically correct.... (1 Viewer)

Davey said:
The Omagh bombing was a disaster. The ira were making another show of strength they never intended on killing anyone in that.

actually I think you'll find Omagh was nothing to do with the IRA, they were on ceasefire at the time.

aoifed said:

I've had the pleasure of sitting and listening to a group
of men who aint educated beyond primary school and who have Dublin accents as thick as a Brazilian footballers thigh, who have told me how much they love going to ballad sessions and the like- discuss Irish history and the troubles. They were well read, articulate and knew a fuck of a lot more than me about it.

Just my experien
ce. sayin

Point taken.

But its the other sort that I'm talking about, The celtic jersey idiot types. Not the kind that you're talking about, ie, the ones that have some idea of what they're on about. I didn't see any of them at the Wolfe Tones. And I dont think thats the kinda crowd the Tones would play to. Know what I mean?

Thats just my experience

"actually I think you'll find Omagh was nothing to do with the IRA, they were on ceasefire at the time." by problematic

The reals and the continuity where responable for laying the bomb, they can still get called the IRA its not a provo only title.

In what way do you mean that. If you mean who do I support im not totally decided as they all have their good and their bad points. I like the INLA/IRSP ideals for what Ireland should be but have a bad reputation, because of the actions of a few. I don't like the way Gerry Adams manipulated the whole provisional movement to follow his ideas, but they are without doubt the strongest republican organisation in terms of membership capability and public support, also i don't like the way they appear to say no to everything the British government asks them but end up doing it any way, like joining the police which they will undoubtable do sooner rather than later. Conitunity/Republican Sinn Fein i like in as far as they have stuck to their own principals and may not have as big a following as the provo sinners but have a good group of very commited workers, however they are not seen enough of them especially in my area they haven't even tried to increase there grass roots supporters.

Heres where ill probably get slated by a few people. lol

Davey said:
"actually I think you'll find Omagh was nothing to do with the IRA, they were on ceasefire at the time." by problematic

The reals and the continuity where responable for laying the bomb, they can still get called the IRA its not a provo only title.

much as they would like to be accepted as the Army, the Contos or Reals have never nor ever will deserve the name IRA attributed to them, you can kid yourself that they are the IRA but you know as well as I do the only Irish Republican Army are the Provos.

Davey said:
In what way do you mean that. If you mean who do I support im not totally decided as they all have their good and their bad points. I like the INLA/IRSP ideals for what Ireland should be but have a bad reputation, because of the actions of a few. I don't like the way Gerry Adams manipulated the whole provisional movement to follow his ideas, but they are without doubt the strongest republican organisation in terms of membership capability and public support, also i don't like the way they appear to say no to everything the British government asks them but end up doing it any way, like joining the police which they will undoubtable do sooner rather than later. Conitunity/Republican Sinn Fein i like in as far as they have stuck to their own principals and may not have as big a following as the provo sinners but have a good group of very commited workers, however they are not seen enough of them especially in my area they haven't even tried to increase there grass roots supporters.

that's all well and good, and where you see O'Bradaigh et al as sticking to their roots and ideals, most of us within the Republican movement see it simply as stagnation. As for Gerry manipulating the Republican movement, he may have led the way and added a little coercion here and there but people are smart enough to see the direction the leadership has taken over the last 20 years has been the only viable route left to Republicans. We were never going to get beaten in conflict but we certainly were never going to win either. Armed resistence was tried and ended in stalemate, the only other option for us is to try the route of constitutional politics and see if that works any better. It's all well and good. O'Bradaigh talking to 40 people at a yearlt commemoration, writing the odd scating memo about SF and standing outside the GPO ranting every now and then but do you really think they will ever move the Republican agenda in any direction ?

With out trying to sparka row here. I don't see how you can have an army wheny ou give the enemy most if not all of your weapons. An they don't make alot of excessions for the british army that shouldn't be let. gerrys totally twisited the movement by changing small things. Id be interested in hearing your views but i don't want a row as im only new here and don't really want to egt barred lol

Davey said:
With out trying to sparka row here. I don't see how you can have an army wheny ou give the enemy most if not all of your weapons. An they don't make alot of excessions for the british army that shouldn't be let. gerrys totally twisited the movement by changing small things. Id be interested in hearing your views but i don't want a row as im only new here and don't really want to egt barred lol

It's not a row mate, just a discussion, I'm more than willing to discuss this with you but it should really be on the politics board not the main one.

I see your point there and to an extent i agree, i feel that the armalite and ballot box approach may of been the best idea i still feel that it might be the most effect way. but being realistic there is no desire for war at the moment. I see totally using constitional politics as ineffective as the unionist may appear to be flustered but in MHO they will just run republicans round in circles, i feel the only way that Ireland will be united if things stay the way they are is to breed them out and use the clause written in at partition. I for one feel that its my duty as an Irishman to breed them out lol

As i said im new i ddidn't even realise there was a politics board
can you get teh admin to copy the topic over??

Davey said:

Heres where ill probably get slated by a few people. lol

So you just generally... support it.

Alan, you're a keen fan of the law, aren't you?

by it you mean the republican cause yes i do. and Id respect anyone i believe truely wants a United Ireland except them celtic white tigers i think you call them they claim to be republican but are racist as well. There just a shar off bad people lol

Davey said:
I see your point there and to an extent i agree, i feel that the armalite and ballot box approach may of been the best idea i still feel that it might be the most effect way. but being realistic there is no desire for war at the moment.

Well the armalite/ballot box approach was tried for thirty years and we had gone as far as we could, we could go another thirty years and still be no further along that we were when the IRA called their cease fire in '97.

Davey said:
I see totally using constitional politics as ineffective as the unionist may appear to be flustered but in MHO they will just run republicans round in circles

But in todays climate, it is an either or situation, you can't have a dual strategy any more, it has to be either constiutional politics or armed resistence. Also, I really don't think Unionists are running anybody around in circles, Sinn Fein have never made rash decisions, everything is done with a view to the long term. If Unionists thought we could achieve nothing through politics they would be far less resistant to sharing power with us.

Davey said:
The Omagh bombing was a disaster. The ira were making another show of strength they never intended on killing anyone in that. That is why the phone in a warning 2 to 3 hours earlier and the RUC moved the people there towards the bomb instead of away and before you say the message may have been vague it wasn't if the reports i hear are true. This was a british operation to try and take public support away from the republican movement and unfortunately it worked.

That is fucking utter bullshit. The RUC were given an unclear warning. This wasn't a "British operation", the bomb was planted by republican cunts. Had they not planted that bomb those 29 people would still be alive today.

Problematic said:
Well the armalite/ballot box approach was tried for thirty years and we had gone as far as we could, we could go another thirty years and still be no further along that we were when the IRA called their cease fire in '97.

You have to admit we are alot furthur on and respected now than we were thirty years ago, But would you agree with Sinn Fein condoning their supporters joining the police force? I find this a very sticky subject as for years the RUC have been veiwed by provos as an armed occupational force in Ireland. They changed names not tactics. Did you hear of the three Republican Sinn Fein men in keady that got arrested. one of them men had been arrested last year on some bogus charge held for 8 months and then just released also they raided his house and took his car for forensics and he still hasn't had it returned despite his lawyer trying. they've took his new car again this time.

Davey said:
Did you hear of the three Republican Sinn Fein men in keady that got arrested. one of them men had been arrested last year on some bogus charge held for 8 months and then just released also they raided his house and took his car for forensics and he still hasn't ahd it returned despite his lawyer trying. theyve took his car again this time.

So do you have links to news stories about this?

spiritualtramp said:
That is fucking utter bullshit. The RUC were given an unclear warning. This wasn't a "British operation", the bomb was planted by republican cunts. Had they not planted that bomb those 29 people would still be alive today.

As Ive said it was indeed a tragedy and God rest the victims and i sympathise with anyone who was injured or lost some one, they were given instruction enough to know not to take the people to that spot. how else can you explain this the british government had got fed up with them getting all the bad press and them looking the bad guys all the time. i accept that the blame does have to be rested alot on the men that did it but if you go furthur back if the british forces hadn't come here in the very start none of this would of happened. Or even if they had of treated the Irish populace a bit better during their reign here it may of been sorted out peacefully.

Davey said:
You have to admit we are alot furthur on and respected now than we were thirty years ago,

yes we are much further along than we were thirty years ago and a lot of that is down to standing up and saying enough and using armed resistence, but that resistence could only ever take us so far and we reached that pinnacle in the late eighties, it just took us another ten years to accept that fact before people were ready to call an end to the campaign.

Davey said:
But would you agree with Sinn Fein condoning their supporters joining the police force? I find this a very sticky subject as for years the RUC have been veiwed by provos as an armed occupational force in Ireland. They changed names not tactics.

Yeah it is a sticky subject and probably the hardest for most Republicans to deal with. I personally have some major issues with accepting a place on the policing board and legitimising the PSNI and while it is more than likely we will be moving to that position it isn't a done deal and will be discussed extensively at the Ard Fheis next month and then again at a special Ard Fheis later in the year. Patten will need to be fully implemented before Sinn Fein do accept places on the board anyway and when the changes Patten recommended are implemented it will definitley make it more acceptable to Republicans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back