Ireland Voted best place in the world to live... (1 Viewer)

jane said:
Yeah, but it helps if you're interested in music. I also think I kind of get on better here than I ever did in the US. Maybe it's the sense of humour thing. I think it just fits in better here.
you think you're funny?

Gong Farmer said:
I miss my Mammy.

It would be a good name for a brand of sausages.
Mmmmm.... Mammy Sausages every morning.

A bad brand name would be Daddy Milk.
Go on kids! Splash some Daddy Milk over your Sugar Puffs every morning!
you're fucking crazy :D

jane said:
Me....sniff....other Ladyfesters mommies were there. My mommy called me on the phone so we could pretend she was there....but she wasn't....sniff....
i thought thomas was there???

Gong Farmer said:
I miss my Mammy.

It would be a good name for a brand of sausages.
Mmmmm.... Mammy Sausages every morning.

A bad brand name would be Daddy Milk.
Go on kids! Splash some Daddy Milk over your Sugar Puffs every morning!

If you're a circus clown, and you have a dog that you use in your act, I don't think it's a good idea to also dress the dog up like a clown, because people see that and they think, "Forgive me, but that's just too much."

in my travelling, which isn't really much, just various parts of europe and america, i've always been given a good reception due to the fact i'm irish.
it's kinda funny.
(except in prague, which fills with irish dicks on stags and the like, and have given us a bad name over there...)
anyway, its mad.

I went into a restaurant in Prague..their english menu was insane.
"Pocket Lady Cookery Book" was the name of some meal!?!
what a city.

avernus said:
yeah...theres a lot of things you take for granted living in Ireland. Like not getting shot.
not getting shot is defo in my top 5 favourite things ever

i'd rather settle in ireland than anywhere else that i've ever been, would like to live a few other places first though.

I don't think Irelands the best country to live in a tall a tall.
In terms of quality of life, like
Being a wealthier country can make people more unhappy especially since the wealth isn't spread evenly. mo money mo problems as the famous rapper Nutorious F.A.T. once said.
Anyway, how can you measure high incomes against spending your life in traffic and people not getting to see their kids because both parent must work to sustain their lifestyle.

People in Ireland are ok. Somebody said something on this thread like "when they get to know you they take care of you" I think this is true. I think Irish people are generaly dicks to each other on first contact and can be hard to get to know people if you dont 'know a friend of theirs already' or some equivalent combination.
It's not 'ok' to just start talking to someone, which is something I really admire in Americans.
But that said Irish friends are good friends usually. It is rare that a proper friend will fuck you over, whereas in other places people seem to do that sort of thing a lot more.

One thing I hate about us is our culture of 'Drunk Talk'. I don't mean drunken bollox talk. I mean the way it is acceptable to make arragements/promises to people and then nto follow through because 'I was locked'

moc said:
i'd rather settle in ireland than anywhere else that i've ever been, would like to live a few other places first though.
bang on that.
yeah, so, i presume as this theory was published in the Economist its from a more monitary viewpoint?
cos from a climate viewpoint, we are poo.
its lashing rain now and i'd love to be somewhere hot and sandy now.

and as for racism, I've never seen it as much as it reportedly happens here.

I have to say I do think racism is used as an excuse a bit too often. it can be a bit of a cop out "I can't do this because of racism, I can't do that because of racism'. Just get on with it.

Although it angers me when I hear people use racial slurs when they are annoyed with someone, I don't think it really amounts to proper racism.
when people are angry they say the most offensive thing they can think of. doesn't reflect their true opinions.

of course, actuall racist remarks are not cool.
I was working in a centra or a spar or something when I was younger and a black kid came in for an interview, and afterwards i asked the manager if he got the job. and he said 'no. he wouldnt 'fit' in here' I was disgusted. "what do you mean by that?" and he looked at me and made a face like as if to say 'You know I can't say it, but we both know'

which pissed me off so much. also he was supposed to be some sort of truly religious fucker, opus dei or something.

i agree with most of what your're saying here cept about the friends thing.my mates treat me like shit and although i love my mates i don't want to let them actually know that.

FancyGoods said:
I don't think Irelands the best country to live in a tall a tall.
In terms of quality of life, like
Being a wealthier country can make people more unhappy especially since the wealth isn't spread evenly. mo money mo problems as the famous rapper Nutorious F.A.T. once said.
Anyway, how can you measure high incomes against spending your life in traffic and people not getting to see their kids because both parent must work to sustain their lifestyle.

People in Ireland are ok. Somebody said something on this thread like "when they get to know you they take care of you" I think this is true. I think Irish people are generaly dicks to each other on first contact and can be hard to get to know people if you dont 'know a friend of theirs already' or some equivalent combination.
It's not 'ok' to just start talking to someone, which is something I really admire in Americans.
But that said Irish friends are good friends usually. It is rare that a proper friend will fuck you over, whereas in other places people seem to do that sort of thing a lot more.

One thing I hate about us is our culture of 'Drunk Talk'. I don't mean drunken bollox talk. I mean the way it is acceptable to make arragements/promises to people and then nto follow through because 'I was locked'

FancyGoods said:

I think Irish people are friendly at first, then you hit a wall, and then it's kinda hard because you're in this very liminal space: you're not a proper friend, but you're not totally ignored, either. That can be pretty disheartening. But if you're the type of person who isn't afraid to make the effort, it's not a lost cause. I think, though, that to move anywhere new and try to actually make a life for yourself, you have to be really self-sufficient, self-reliant, and have a thick skin (which I, on many occasions, do not). You have to kind of carve out a place for yourself because you're not from here, and that is definitely a challenge. But, like I said, it's a small country, so it's never long before you find you know loads of people, and can be part of that little connections game, where you realise that you know six people in common with the stranger standing next to you.

I don't know if Ireland is a particularly difficult place to do it because it's really the only place I've stuck around for very long. Somewhere like NY can appear to be easier because so many other people are in the same situation, living somewhere they don't come from, but people are fickle and transient there.

Anyway, everyone engages in Drunk Talk. It's not just an Irish thing. It may be because so much of Irish social life centres on boozy atmospheres that it comes out more, but it's not unusual anywhere.

Not all Americans will just come up and talk to you, but it's true that we're a bit more socially assertive, and a bit more forward. But even in the US, I think I'm still a bit of an anomaly. I like to talk. I like to talk to funny people. I'll talk to pretty much anyone. For hours. Non-stop. If I didn't meet new people all the time, I'd be overworking my friends' ears.

As for the 'wealth=happiness' thing, I don't think that's what the survey was measuring. Doesn't Sweden, also in the top 10 (and maybe Iceland, too) have some ridiculously high suicide rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back