Ireland Voted best place in the world to live... (1 Viewer)

avernus said:
Im a big fan of Rome, filth and all.

I got lost in Brussels once...it was zero fun.

Brussels is a pretty boring capital; the most exciting thing that happened to me there was having a arab guy hurl abuse at me in arabic on the metro

hag said:
didn't aoifed do some of that? i could take london for a small while, maybe 6 months max. it's too big for my small ireland mentality.
well she came to Perm alright. Id like to go back only because I feel "close" to the country. Less volunteers go to russia and people like UNICEF and other local groups need people. Most people like volunteering in hotter countries like south america etc. :rolleyes::)

i'm not down with london really - just lots of local/community environmental projects for gaining the experience like.

It looks like they took into account stuff like high church attendance and low divorce rates as indicators of quality of life. Not cost of living, racism, gender inequality, shit health service, etc.

I bitch loads about Ireland, but it's mostly about the cost of living here, and maybe the weather. That said, when my fambily is buried under three feet of snow for four months, I do feel a little bit smug.

And, at the moment, I'm indescribably grateful that I'm not being smothered with flags and spangles. I've always liked how people in Ireland have more freedom to criticise and make change, and how it's easier to have a voice here.

It's interesting that so many of the top ten countries in that list are small ones that are relatively expensive.

broken arm said:
well she came to Perm alright. Id like to go back only because I feel "close" to the country. Less volunteers go to russia and people like UNICEF and other local groups need people. Most people like volunteering in hotter countries like south america etc. :rolleyes::)

i'm not down with london really - just lots of local/community environmental projects for gaining the experience like.
personally, if i was going to volunteer to do something, and i had to chose between south america and russia, i think i'd have to think a lot about where i was needed most but ultimately, i'd totally go to south america. do you remember that video clip that was linked to here which showed that guy getting his face repeatedly kicked in? that kinda made mescared of russia. i know it's irrational, but it scared the crap out of me. it gave me a grand total of 2 nightmares.

jane said:
It's interesting that so many of the top ten countries in that list are small ones that are relatively expensive.
yeah, but that's a sign of a cool place to live, don't ya know ;)
it's expensive, therefore it must be good. la dee da. i'm going to amsterdam today to see the ex 25th birthday, i am tripping with excitement. it goes on til 5am on friday and saturday. and i love me schmoke ;)

I think the best thing about this country is that the people in general are quite funny. They make me laugh. And if people get to know you (which is hard in ireland) they'll mind you.

The worst thing is that we're crap at running things and complain a lot because none of us agree on anything.

JohnnyRaz said:
Brussels is a pretty boring capital; the most exciting thing that happened to me there was having a arab guy hurl abuse at me in arabic on the metro

yeah..theres a stop on the metro called KUNST WET - which in a boring city, made me laugh :)

Russia scares me too...I'd love to go there, but a)im scared of aeroflot planes (prolly plenty of other airlines fly there) and b) yam skerte of killers.
when my sister went with her school, there were a-rabs banging on the door all night. nice.

People keep saying racism, i know it does exist here and is inexcusable but at least it hasn't escelated into the violent rightwing extremist gangs that are on the increase all over europe.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I think the best thing about this country is that the people in general are quite funny. They make me laugh. And if people get to know you (which is hard in ireland) they'll mind you.

The worst thing is that we're crap at running things and complain a lot because none of us agree on anything.
Yeah, whenever I'm in the US, I forget that you can't just assume that people like funny. I end up red-faced more often than I used to. I'm always shocked when I meet people who don't seem to have a sense of humour. I can't figure them out at all.

People do complain, and often not in the right places, not where it matters. And no country can run things. Or even build things. Where my folks used to live, they built this new massive, miles-long bridge, which took them years. When the two sides finally met in the middle, it was an inch off, which is, I guess, very bad when you've engineered something to hold weight like that.

I do like that people don't agree on everything in Ireland. I like that people won't necessarily write you off because you're not a yes-man/woman. I like a bit of debate, and a bit of a challenge.

As for getting to know people here, it's damn hard, that's for sure. It's taken me years (and still is) to settle in, but I think it's worth it.

hag said:
that kinda made mescared of russia. i know it's irrational, but it scared the crap out of me. it gave me a grand total of 2 nightmares.
yea i was a bit scared of russia before i went. i think i was a bit scared the first day I was there. but i met some of the warmest most generous (with the little they have) people. the people rock. the mafia don't.

broken arm said:
yea i was a bit scared of russia before i went. i think i was a bit scared the first day I was there. but i met some of the warmest most generous (with the little they have) people. the people rock. the mafia don't.
I've only ever been to St Petersburg, and it was great. I know it's Russia's fancy special-occasion-parlour city and all, but it was no more scary than somewhere like Naples. Which, admittedly, is scary. But fantastic.

jane said:
I've only ever been to St Petersburg, and it was great. I know it's Russia's fancy special-occasion-parlour city and all, but it was no more scary than somewhere like Naples. Which, admittedly, is scary. But fantastic.
one of my fav little memories is being blind with a hangover/general confusion (it was also dark), getting onto the trans-siberian, being seperated from each other because of our bed numbers, not having a clue what to do re. beds/sheets etc. and the two people and the little old lady in my section waking up, showing me where to put my bag etc. and MAKING MY BED FOR ME. I can still see the old lady's smile as she made my pillows, yabbed at me in russian while I stood there reeking of booze and not having a clue. totally put me at ease for the rest of the trip.

jane said:
Yeah, whenever I'm in the US, I forget that you can't just assume that people like funny. I end up red-faced more often than I used to. I'm always shocked when I meet people who don't seem to have a sense of humour. I can't figure them out at all.

People do complain, and often not in the right places, not where it matters. And no country can run things. Or even build things. Where my folks used to live, they built this new massive, miles-long bridge, which took them years. When the two sides finally met in the middle, it was an inch off, which is, I guess, very bad when you've engineered something to hold weight like that.

I do like that people don't agree on everything in Ireland. I like that people won't necessarily write you off because you're not a yes-man/woman. I like a bit of debate, and a bit of a challenge.

As for getting to know people here, it's damn hard, that's for sure. It's taken me years (and still is) to settle in, but I think it's worth it.
moving to a new city where you don't know anyone ain't an easy thing. you've done a pretty good job of making dublin your own in fairness, crazy jane :)

broken arm said:
one of my fav little memories is being blind with a hangover/general confusion (it was also dark), getting onto the trans-siberian, being seperated from each other because of our bed numbers, not having a clue what to do re. beds/sheets etc. and the two people and the little old lady in my section waking up, showing me where to put my bag etc. and MAKING MY BED FOR ME. I can still see the old lady's smile as she made my pillows, yabbed at me in russian while I stood there reeking of booze and not having a clue. totally put me at ease for the rest of the trip.
what a sweet story :) i got the train from berlin to prague on the night before czechoslovakia (sp? foad?) split... it was kinda like that train but without the nice lady.

broken arm said:
That's awesome. I was in a similar situation on a train from Krakow to Warsaw on New Year's Day a load of years ago. I was on my own, it was like 6am, I was still drunk, and my seat number was for a carriage that didn't have any heat. I just assumed that none of them were warm, but the conductor lady came along, saw me shivering and nearly blue from cold, and started muttering something that sounded like scolding. She practically grabbed me by the scruff of my neck, and took me and my bag to a nice warm car and pretty much tucked me in and kissed me goodnight.

It was sweet. And I was much warmer for the rest of the trip.

hag said:
hand sup who misses their mammies? :)
I miss my Mammy.

It would be a good name for a brand of sausages.
Mmmmm.... Mammy Sausages every morning.

A bad brand name would be Daddy Milk.
Go on kids! Splash some Daddy Milk over your Sugar Puffs every morning!

hag said:
moving to a new city where you don't know anyone ain't an easy thing. you've done a pretty good job of making dublin your own in fairness, crazy jane :)

Yeah, but it helps if you're interested in music. I also think I kind of get on better here than I ever did in the US. Maybe it's the sense of humour thing. I think it just fits in better here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back