Ireland needs a Nuclear Power station. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 95
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 6

Nuclear Energy-Whatcha reckon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEO LILY

well not really, i didn't realise it had a stupid name because it came from elsewhere. only worth watch from 1.28 - its just a though excercise in regard to action/inaction. it isn't scary at all.

Ok so it's basically Pascal's Wager but with the environment? It doesn't convince non-believers because you can apply it to anything:
Should we really NOT put money into the Lizard People Defence Fund just because you don't believe they're going to enslave us all? It's better safe than sorry.

Ok so it's basically Pascal's Wager but with the environment? It doesn't convince non-believers because you can apply it to anything:
Should we really NOT put money into the Lizard People Defence Fund just because you don't believe they're going to enslave us all? It's better safe than sorry.

Well what do you propose we do about the lizard people. that is, if you aren't one of them.

Even disregarding the global warming/lizard issue, it would be a good idea strategically for Ireland to go with nuclear power. Peak oil, rising population and affluence across the globe means power (along with water) is going to be an increasingly valuable commodity and it may well get harder and harder for a minnow like Ireland to access energy internationally in the not too distant future. If we want to continue living the way we do, we can't rely upon energy resources from elsewhere the way we have done so in the past.

Isn't there enough gas off the coast of Howth to heat Ireland for about 100 years but we don't have the expertise to actually get at it ?

It's seriously hard to believe that we could have a nuclear power plant without paying a foreign nation for the electricity it produces and if that's the case what's the point ? We'd probably get a better deal from the brits to just import power from their nuclear reactors.

Not sure how that'd work though Pipeline ? Or Tesla coil Maybe ?

Well you're going to have to pay one way or another but an Irish nuclear power station, properly planned, would insure that for a fixed period Ireland's energy needs were met, regardless of unknowable geopolitical or environmental upsets elsewhere on the planet. It would of course require international expertise to be built and to help run it, at least in the mid-term. I don't think it'll ever be politically tenable though, especially post-Fukashima.

Never heard about the Howth gas, that's gas, if true.

If we get a horrible storm that kills a few hundred people or Galway gets swallowed by the sea it might change the politics.

Well you're going to have to pay one way or another but an Irish nuclear power station, properly planned, would insure that for a fixed period Ireland's energy needs were met, regardless of unknowable geopolitical or environmental upsets elsewhere on the planet. It would of course require international expertise to be built and to help run it, at least in the mid-term. I don't think it'll ever be politically tenable though, especially post-Fukashima.

Never heard about the Howth gas, that's gas, if true.
I only heard this through a lad who worked as a handyman for my old landlord told me. But he was convinced enough to go out and pay a fortune to get trained to work on gas rigs in the hopes of getting a job on one in the near future.

Fukishima was caused by an earthquake. People lose sight of that fact pretty quickly.

It's seriously hard to believe that we could have a nuclear power plant without paying a foreign nation for the electricity it produces and if that's the case what's the point ? We'd probably get a better deal from the brits to just import power from their nuclear reactors.

There's already an electricity interconnection between the two states, I would be most surprised if we werent getting at least some power from British nuclear sources. Similarly with Germany's ridiculous decision to shut all nuclear power plants in the wake of Fukishama, they're simply going to import power from France to make up for it-France gets 75% of its electricity from nuclear power.
We could have a foreign company build and run a nuclear power plant, just two weeks back EDF signed a deal with the Brits to build two new plants.

Yeah there's a shitload of gas in Dublin bay apparently. Corrib pt.2 coming soon to a locality near you.

One thing I love about nuclear power and the scaremongering that goes with it, is that there's always a photographs like this

Nuclear_Power_Plant_Cattenom.jpg
The accompanying articles which want to discuss the damage to the environment are essentially illustrated by a lie. There's this connotation of poison gas being pumped into the air, "your children aren't safe. We'll all be mutants soon, be afraid be very afraid". It's fucking steam!!!

Every time I see this I think about how abortion = mangled feotuses and all terrorists have beards it's such a lazy visual culture that we live in.

Reduction is way more important than source anyways. Firing fuckloads of money into reducing energy consumption is a way more practical thing to do than to increasing output to match pointless consumption.

Reduction is way more important than source anyways. Firing fuckloads of money into reducing energy consumption is a way more practical thing to do than to increasing output to match pointless consumption.

True but that's never going to happen. There is that little thing called capitalism to contend with. Not sure widespread adoption of nuclear power is going to happen either (not sure either if it's a solution anyway). So, environmental apocalypse seems the best bet to me.

A bit. Its like the cars. Every time there is an oil war, oil gets dear and cars get really economical, people walk and cycle more. As energy prices rise, efficiency becomes a saleable commodity.

We seem to keep finding more and more oil and gas and more and more ways to take them out of the ground (fracking and all that). Do you think the price will rise sufficiently for people to change enough for the planet not to go kablammo?

I don't give a fuck about there being enough fossil fuels to charge my iPhone, we're talking global catastrophes here. If nuclear power can prevent that then i'm all for it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Ireland's climate in coming decades. We could be in for hotter summers or colder winters (or both) either of which would have an impact on what energy the country needs. I @ann post is right about limiting consumption too, but that already happens to a degree, newer appliances use less energy than older ones, newer vehicles too. A countrywide move to improve insulation in older homes would help but any way you look at it we need energy to live the way we live and we can't indefinitely rely on UK or other providers for it. Wind, tidal, etc. must all presumably play their part too but I don't think if the country wants energy independence it can avoid using nuclear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back