Ireland needs a Nuclear Power station. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 95
  • Views 11K
  • Watchers 6

Nuclear Energy-Whatcha reckon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
James Lovelock is on Rte1 now.

whatever about the merits or demerits of nuclear energy in a properly run country, the powers that be would only fuck it up here.

firstly it would cost too much to build, due to backhanders and inefficencies, and possibly by the time its finsihed would be obsolete. it would be regulated in the same sterling manner as our farms/fisheries, our banks and our general environment. the nuclear waste would probably end up being stored in a gaa clubhouse in offaly 'as a favour' like.

basically, unless were transported to an alternative reality where the nazis won the war and were governed directly from berlin, or the coutry is sold to the japanese for a few car stereos im against it.

We need Nuclear Power.

And a space programme.

Liquid fluoride thorium reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently these are much safer - you can use a freeze plug that melts and drains the reactor in the event of a problem, and apparently this would have been a better way for the technology to develop except that neuclear's military background gave it a push toward uranuim rather then looking elsewhere.

Liquid fluoride thorium reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently these are much safer - you can use a freeze plug that melts and drains the reactor in the event of a problem, and apparently this would have been a better way for the technology to develop except that neuclear's military background gave it a push toward uranuim rather then looking elsewhere.

That seems to be the gist of the article i posted there although that wiki page has a few examples so i guess there are some countries who are willing to put the money up to experiment with and develop the technology.

Yeah sorry - I hadn't seen your link before I posted.

I often wonder, when you subtract out the kooks, fox and friends type nutters etc. who believe climate change is a big fat lie, you are still left with a sizeable number of people, a sizeable number of whom are intelligent reasonable people who don't see huge urgency with the problem.

I wonder is we look back in 50 years will we be in some post apocalyptic hell hole ...... or will be all be using clean safe thorium reactors and wondering what all of the hysteria from these mad hippies was all about and how did we all get caught up in it?

I wonder is we look back in 50 years will we be in some post apocalyptic hell hole ...... or will be all be using clean safe thorium reactors and wondering what all of the hysteria from these mad hippies was all about and how did we all get caught up in it?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yeah sorry - I hadn't seen your link before I posted.

I often wonder, when you subtract out the kooks, fox and friends type nutters etc. who believe climate change is a big fat lie, you are still left with a sizeable number of people, a sizeable number of whom are intelligent reasonable people who don't see huge urgency with the problem.

Been wondering that a lot today myself. As a civilisation don't seem to be capable of reigning ourselves in and reducing power usage so I can't see any solution to fossil fuel pollution except nuclear power. I suppose nuclear power done well is probably less of a risk then the inevitable doom that is our current path.

@ann post there's about 400 thousand videos out there called 'the most terrifying' thing on the internet. What's the gist of that one?

@ann post there's about 400 thousand videos out there called 'the most terrifying' thing on the internet. What's the gist of that one?

YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH THE VIDEO LILY

well not really, i didn't realise it had a stupid name because it came from elsewhere. only worth watch from 1.28 - its just a though excercise in regard to action/inaction. it isn't scary at all.

I was only discussing this yesterday. Sadly I think it'll take major disaster to get us to do anything about climate change. And even then you'll still have some idiots claiming it's not really anything to do with us.

Alan B. Sielen | The Reverse Evolution of the World's Oceans | Foreign Affairs

Straying off the nuclear issue but the above article is frightening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back