Iraq (1 Viewer)

okay.. how is it ''silly'' !! yeh his jobs to report the news, but im sure he was well aware of the risks. would you set foot in iraq at the moment? no! because all you can do is discussed it over and over, wat else can you do? like veronica gueran, she knew wat she was doing, if irish peace makers go over there and die, there will be no injustice, and theres no injustice for him dying either, he died for a cause, thats a good thing right? and i thinks its good that your so compassionate about it, but.. theres thousands of civilians who die every day over there, and have no choice, if you dont wanna be blown up by a missile stay well the fuck away, if you do go over and try and make a difference then good and well.. coz without journalists we'd be blind to the horrors.

I'll second that. So basically you're saying it's o.k for the american military to fire missiles and such willynilly and not have to be culpable for civilian deaths in the course of their work? Thats more than silly its plain dumb.

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has cast doubt on whether there was ever a relationship between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda.

The alleged link was one of the justifications used by President Bush for the invasion of Iraq.

In front of an audience in New York, Mr Rumsfeld was asked about connections between Saddam and Osama Bin Laden. "To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two," he said.

No proof

Donald Rumsfeld's off-the-cuff comments are often very revealing.

If he really meant what he said, it suggests that the Bush administration is in the process of retreating from previously held positions.

When asked about the putative link during a session at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, defence secretary said: "I have seen the answer to that question migrate in the intelligence community over a period of a year in the most amazing way."

In the past, Mr Rumsfeld has spoken of credible information about a link and Vice President Dick Cheney regularly goes further and talks of Saddam Hussein having provided safe harbour and sanctuary for al-Qaeda. The idea that Saddam Hussein was a supporter of terrorism has been one of the key justifications used by the administration for his removal.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3715396.stm

The Pentagon said September was the second-deadliest month of the year for US troops, in which 80 died. In April, 135 were killed.

September's figure takes the total number of soldiers killed in Iraq to 1,058, the Pentagon said.

Mr Rumsfeld lamented the losses, saying: "It is in freedom's defence that our country has had the benefit of these wonderful volunteers."

In other developments in Iraq:

• Four US soldiers were charged with the murder of an Iraqi general who died of asphyxiation while being interrogated in November
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3715212.stm

'NO AL QAEDA-SADDAM LINK'

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld says he knows of no "strong, hard evidence" linking Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda.

Mr Rumsfeld also said intelligence suggesting Iraq had weapons of mass destruction was wrong.

Before the war on Iraq, Mr Rumsfeld had told the world there was a definite link between Osama bin Laden's terror network and Iraq's leader.

"We have what we consider to be very reliable reporting of senior level contacts going back a decade, and of possible chemical and biological agent training. And when I say contacts, I mean between Iraq and al Qaeda," Mr Rumsfeld said in September 2002.

However, during a question-and-answer session at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, he went back on that claim.

"I have seen the answer to that question migrate in the intelligence community over a period of a year in the most amazing way," he said.

"To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two."

The bipartisan 9/11 commission that studied the 9/11 attacks concluded in July there was no evidence of a "collaborative operational relationship" between Iraq and al Qaeda.

Mr Rumsfeld told the council America and Britain went to war to prevent Iraq gaining WMD.

But before the war, he spoke of Saddam's regime already having the weapons.

"It turns out that we have not found weapons of mass destruction," he told the council. "And why the intelligence proved wrong, I'm not in a position to say."

There's nothing better than a bit of scaremongering in an election year:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. military in Iraq discovered two computer disks containing photographs, evacuation plans and academic information from eight school districts in six states, U.S. government officials told CNN.
Government officials said the FBI has not found any link to terrorism, and said there is no information indicating a plot against any school in the United States.

In several cases, specific districts were mentioned in the materials but individual schools were not, officials said.

The material included exit strategies, school codes of conduct, and information on creating a learning environment, officials said.

A Homeland Security official said the disks also included a Department of Education guide on how to plan for a crisis in schools. There is no indication anyone was on the ground casing the schools, a senior government official said.

The Homeland Security official said the material was associated with a specific individual in Iraq, and it could not be established that this man had any ties to terrorism. He did have a connection to civic groups doing planning for schools in Iraq, the official said.
At this point, I slapped my forehead and groaned.

Read the rest here: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/08/schools.iraq/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back