Iraq (2 Viewers)

holy shit.

At least five hundred people have been killed in a stampede in northern Baghdad, Iraqi officials say.

The incident happened on a bridge over the Tigris River as hundreds of thousands of Shia pilgrims marched as part of an annual religious festival.

It was sparked by rumours of a suicide bomber in a crowd. In the ensuing panic many pilgrims were crushed and some fell into the river. Mortar rounds had been fired into the crowd earlier, killing seven people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4199618.stm

the hole goes deeper....soz dont have the linky.

Senior military investigator found dead in Iraq
By Kim Sengupta in Basra
Published: 17 October 2005
A senior British military police officer in Iraq involved in the investigation of alleged abuse of Iraqi civilians by soldiers has been found dead at a camp in Basra.

The body of Captain Ken Masters, the commander of 61 Section of the Special Investigations Branch (SIB), was found in his bed at the airport at the weekend. The death is being investigated by the SIB.

Defence sources said the death was "not due to hostile action and also not due to natural causes".

However, it is believed that investigators have not found a suicide note, nor firearms related to the incident. Capt Masters was not receiving any medical or psychological treatment.

Friends and colleagues of Captain Masters, who was married with two children, said that his death had come as a "total surprise".

After his body was found early on Saturday evening a siren sounded over Basra camp, flares were fired in the air, and all military personnel were confined to barracks .

Despite being of middle-rank, Captain Masters was in charge of all serious incidents involving the British military in Iraq.

of course! the enchantment under the sea dance! they're supposed to go to this! that's where they kiss for the first time!

bttf02.jpg

US troops 'starve Iraqi citizens'
A senior United Nations official has accused US-led coalition troops of depriving Iraqi civilians of food and water in breach of humanitarian law.
Human rights investigator Jean Ziegler said they had driven people out of insurgent strongholds that were about to be attacked by cutting supplies.

Mr Ziegler, a Swiss-born sociologist, said such tactics were in breach of international law.

A US military spokesman in Baghdad denied the allegations.

"A drama is taking place in total silence in Iraq, where the coalition's occupying forces are using hunger and deprivation of water as a weapon of war against the civilian population," Mr Ziegler told a press conference in Geneva.

He said coalition forces were using "starvation of civilians as a method of warfare."

"This is a flagrant violation of international law," he added.

'False allegations'

Mr Ziegler said he understood the "military rationale" when confronting insurgents who do not respect "any law of war".

But he insisted that civilians who could not leave besieged cities and towns for whatever reason should not suffer as a result of this strategy.

Lieutenant Colonel Steve Boylan, a US military spokesman, later rejected the accusations.

"Any allegations of us withholding basic needs from the Iraqi people are false," he said.

Even though some supplies had been delayed during fighting, he argued that "all precautions" were being taken to take care of civilians.

"It does not do relief supplies any good if you have them going into a firefight," he said.

The Geneva Conventions forbid depriving civilians of food and water.

Cutting off food supply lines and destroying food stocks is also forbidden.

Mr Ziegler, who opposed the US-led invasion of Iraq, said he would urge the UN General Assembly to condemn this practice when he presented his yearly report on 27 October.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/4344136.stm

Iraq: Saddam Trial Under Scrutiny

(Baghdad, October 19, 2005) - To ensure justice for hundreds of
thousands of Iraqi victims and their families, the trials of Saddam
Hussein and other former Iraqi officials must be fair, Human Rights
Watch said today as the trials opened in Baghdad.

"For nearly two decades, we have called for Saddam Hussein and his
henchmen to be brought to justice," said Richard Dicker, director of
Human Rights Watch's International Justice Program, who is leading a
team of trial observers in Baghdad. "We have grave concerns that the
court will not ensure fair trials. To ensure justice and its own
legitimacy, the court must fix these deficiencies."

The Supreme Iraqi Criminal Tribunal (formerly known as the Iraqi
Special Tribunal) is an Iraqi court established to try former
government officials. Five Iraqi judges make up the trial court. The
prosecutors and principal defense lawyers are Iraqi.

The tribunal has the authority to try Iraqis for grave crimes such as
genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity. Funded mostly by
the U.S. government, the court will try some of the most notorious
human rights violations that took place under the previous government
- including the poison gas attacks against Iraqi Kurds and the brutal
suppression of the 1991 rebellion in the south.

Saddam Hussein and seven other former Iraqi officials go on trial
today for crimes that took place in the town of al-Dujail in 1982.
Government security forces allegedly killed more than 140 individuals
from al-Dujail in retaliation for an assassination attempt on Saddam
Hussein as his motorcade passed through the town.

"We want these trials to succeed. We will be carefully monitoring the
proceedings," said Dicker. "We hope the court respects the right of the
accused to mount a vigorous defense."

In an 18-page briefing paper released last week, Human Rights Watch
highlighted concerns that the tribunal is at risk of violating basic fair-
trial guarantees.

Problems with the tribunal and its statute include:
. No requirement to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt.
. Inadequate protections for the accused to mount a defense on
conditions equal to those enjoyed by the prosecution.
. Disputes among Iraqi political factions over control of the court,
jeopardizing its appearance of impartiality.
. A draconian requirement that prohibits commutation of death
sentences by any Iraqi official, including the president, and compels
execution of the defendant within 30 days of a final judgment.

The briefing paper is available at:
http://hrw.org/backgrounder/mena/iraq1005/

To read about Human Rights Watch's other work on bringing the
former Iraqi government to justice, please see:
http://www.hrw.org/doc/?t=justice&c=iraq

yeah..its a good thing that he goes to trial,but I was watching an interview with his son's(uday) forced body double this morning, he reckons that the whole trial will never really get the transparency it deserves(surprise surprise), and he should have been brought to the hague a la millosovich. But he has too many secrets about the US admin and corporations.He reckoned that these secrets will die with him in Iraq.

If there is any candidness about it rumsfeld must be pooping in his pants again. Maybe we might se him step down while it's quiet before the whole thing kicks off? Dunno.

Latex lizzie said:
yeah..its a good thing that he goes to trial,but I was watching an interview with his son's(uday) forced body double this morning, he reckons that the whole trial will never really get the transparency it deserves(surprise surprise), and he should have been brought to the hague a la millosovich. But he has too many secrets about the US admin and corporations.He reckoned that these secrets will die with him in Iraq.

If there is any candidness about it rumsfeld must be pooping in his pants again. Maybe we might se him step down while it's quiet before the whole thing kicks off? Dunno.

I hope it doesn't go like the Milosovic trial. Lots of commentators/legal experts/human rights groups have serious problems with the way the trial is being conducted.

there is counter argument to the US intervention along the lines of their not being a judicial system developed enough to handle a trial like this but it is likely to make a mockery of the process and end up making saddam a martyr.

http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2005/10/16/iraq11883.htm

they should just never excecute guys like him, aparts from if being hypocritical in the first place I reckon it would be much better to let him think about the crimes that he has commited for the rest of his life, maybe he is defiant now but one day at later stage it may just click with him that the attrocities he and his family commited were wrong(maybe some admition of this could even heal some wounds for some people .there's always hell afterwards if you believe in that sort of retribution. Nuremburg annoyed the hell out me(I have a wonderful turn of phrase I know). All those guys should have been kept alive and held up as a living example of how evil people can be, studied closely and learned from. Imagine if the allies could have got hitler alive? so many questions could be answered and maybe history even itself altered in a very dramatic way. Basicaly I'm getting into the old death penalty thing here and how fucked up it is no matter what your crime.

other notable cant believe we cant study them nutbags?

shipman?
dalmer?

How did I get here? this is not my beautiful house.

Latex lizzie said:
other notable cant believe we cant study them nutbags?

shipman?
dalmer?

How did I get here? this is not my beautiful house.

I dunno
Shipman committed suicide and Dahmer was murdered in prison.
But then you have the likes of Denis Nielson and Ian Brady, who we've never learned much from (or have we? - I'm no expert in criminal psychology, but I do make mean falafels).

I don't think Sadaam should be executed, but he probably will. And it could turn the whole thing on its head.
If the British didn't execute Padraig Pearse et al in the way they did, we'd probably still be in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back