Interesting Buildings (3 Viewers)

The home of Anatolian psychedelic superstar Baris Manco (1943-1999) in Istanbul is a museum:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Baris's music piped around the house.
Baris is the Turkish word for peace and Manco was apparently the first person with the name. Now Baris has become a common boys name in Turkey (ala Dylan).

Is it still going to be this equally ugly shithole? All anyone at street level is gonna see is face level concrete and miserable people on leather couches smiling while doing work appropriate things.

View attachment 18401

It doesn't look nearly as ugly as this but its scale seems a bit off. There's an interesting mustard colour facade on one side.

There wasn't much there beforehand though was there?

The Irish House and a pretty Georgian block was bulldozed in the 1960s, underneath was found various remnants of Viking and other eras of the city's history. There was a massive campaign to save the site for posterity and relocate the DCC buildings that ultimately failed to stop the grey unyielding concrete. If I am interpreting the historical sources correctly, they also got rid of the gravestone of a woman by the name of Molly Malone.

What was the cool Theater that used to be opposite/near Mulligans. (Not in our time like, in the olden days)

Theatre royal

My grandmother often spoke about the Theatre Royal and used to struggle to explain how big it was - "Was it much bigger than the Olympia?!"
EDIT:
Often commented that a venue this size doesn't exist in Dublin now - about the mark of Hammersmith Odeon / Apollo

09-exo_dublin_ireland_shay_cleary_architects.JPG

"the council expects to spend €12 million to €15 million on stabilisation works"
Presumably to stop it from falling down and maybe another 10 to bring it up to date then.

The Connacht asylum in Ballinasloe a fairly large disused building
Think there was a publication recently about the history of asylums in Ireland

"the council expects to spend €12 million to €15 million on stabilisation works"
Presumably to stop it from falling down and maybe another 10 to bring it up to date then.

An absurd amount of money.

Was watching a documeBarry recently about all the tunnels through the Faroe Islands mountains and under the sea connecting most of the islands.
Costs equivalent to €134million and I thought what an absolute bargain considering how much this government has wasted previously (children's hospital etc). And to just fucking start tunnelling under Dublin. Just fucking do it already

Last edited:

It's nice from a distance isn't it? It was a bit grim when it was working, and is a bit grim now that it's all run down. I know many people who worked there, including me. Between that and the other hospital, that basically was the town.

But it's huge. Surely massive potential to be used for something.

That picture is "the Exo" beside the point depo it's just office space, An Post might rent some of the floors
It's An Post's new admin HQ alright.
I think it's a stupid looking building, don't like that framework thing at all and it makes an already windy place absolutely windy as fuck.

Edit: The ground level part of it is also exceptionally ugly

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back