Interesting Buildings (1 Viewer)

EYjP3uhXkAUwhfQ

I remember it being open. We used to get the bus into Dublin to go record shopping and we'd get back to Busaras and kill time hanging around down by the steps. There'd be posters for the plays that were on at the time.

Have I posted this before?

I've been in this house. Stood outside it and literally couldn't see it. No one told me to look for the invisible house. All I did was anger the neighbours dog.

The 'designed by a PhD, 1975' house is fuckin class looking. It's quite similar to the LeCorbusier house in Zurich, which is a fuckin amazin building.

Edit: There's a lot of shit ones there alright, and in particular the ones where a nice building have been replaced by shit do suck, but it's pretty easy selection taking the shit examples and not mentioning any of the actual good modern architecture.
Sydney Opera House, 1973
Elbphilharmonie Hamburg, 2017 - cool building that's amazing inside
Helsinki Central Library Oodi 2018 - fuckin brilliant building that other cities should be aspiring to copy
Hungary House Of Music, Budapest 2022 - the Budapest version of Helsinki Central library
etc etc etc

Last edited:
i'd love to see the estimated cost of a modern version of that - to pick an early example in that article (i didn't get very far in), the west virginia lunatic asylum. is he suggesting that schools should be built like that?

The 'designed by a PhD, 1975' house is fuckin class looking. It's quite similar to the LeCorbusier house in Zurich, which is a fuckin amazin building.

Peter Eisenman- House VI. Famously included no bathroom and a hole in the bedroom floor (intentionally). The gist was that the design was the result of an abstract geometric process that resulted in that form- and if you choose to live in it well so be it.

Although the architect ended up putting a bathroom in it- fuckin sell out

It's a bridge, still cool though.

Doesn't say it on Wikipedia but apparently it's design also accounts for the strength of the water flow. Or something.
Also, under two years to build and $10m? How??

Samuel Beckett bridge was €60m.

That Laguna bridge is much bigger than it could have been, if it was just a normal straight bridge.

Casual / Uninformed 'architecture' thread where I post busaras every three years. Boring buildings with good anecdotes equally welcome. Must be a building, unless its an unrealted excuse to dig up the thread.

Anyways who knows why but I'm reading about nascar today, behold the hotel where it all began as an institution.

Streamline_Hotel_July_2018.jpg

The threads sometimes open with the very first post in the thread. Which made me think of this place.

I worked here maybe a year ago. The steelwork on the stairs is amazing. Those stairs are the famous stairs where The Spice Girls did that dance. I replicated it when I got the chance. Everyone under 35 was very perplexed.

Also, a mate spent a few nights here, but at illegal raves when it was derelict. Then his wife was involved in the renovation of it. So one day he decided to treat her to tea and scones, to see the fruits of her labour.
So they walk in and he asks "we're not staying here, but is the cafe open to the general public?"
"Well" says gimp-to-the-super-rich staff "you would have to pay". It is £30 for tea and scones.

Obviously, like, what?

Another time, another friend went in to work. The doorman says "where are you going?"
"I'm working here"
"Oh no no no. You see, monkeys use the contractors entrance, down that side alley there"

"Hmmmm, yeah, nice hat dickhead".

I think it's changed management since then, so the staff are more human now. But it is a cool building.

Whatever has replaced Hawkins House, often considered the ugliest building in Dublin, isn't complete yet but its top part really shits on certain vistas of the city. Saying that, Dublin's built beauty seems for various reasons to be between the 1st floor and 5th floor. The taller structures seem almost universally drab. I kinda like Liberty Hall but a bit like the bunkers of Dublin City Council, maybe it should have been erected elsewhere in the increasingly vast edge city.

Whatever has replaced Hawkins House, often considered the ugliest building in Dublin, isn't complete yet but its top part really shits on certain vistas of the city. Saying that, Dublin's built beauty seems for various reasons to be between the 1st floor and 5th floor. The taller structures seem almost universally drab. I kinda like Liberty Hall but a bit like the bunkers of Dublin City Council, maybe it should have been erected elsewhere in the increasingly vast edge city.

I noticed this yesterday morning driving in on the quays. The little square black glass thing popping up behind Westmorland street. Yeah not great looking, so far anyway

Is it still going to be this equally ugly shithole? All anyone at street level is gonna see is face level concrete and miserable people on leather couches smiling while doing work appropriate things.

1712310495423.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back