In defence of hipsters (3 Viewers)

Let's be clear. It's someone else that has called a group 'scumbags', not me.
I was trying to see how wide or narrow he was casting the net.

I wasn't applying it. I was asking if he was.

If he meant people below the poverty line living in the flats that wear tracksuits, then he's talking about my relatives, and I take exception to it.
Again, the poverty line isn't exclusive to flats, or tracksuits. Tracksuits aren't exclusive to flats either.

If he's talking about scumbags, it's in a personal way. the way that there was always some lads looking for a scrap or on the rob or generally being a nuisance. This happens everywhere. But I can't speak for Anthony. I just know what he's talking about.

It seems like you have a very personal relationship with this word. you need to become a rapper or design a flag or have a march. Take the word back. Oh, society will blanch! "But that's OUR word for YOU!" They'll cry!!!!

Round my way the very worst thing you could be was a "rat". You were a scumbag if you picked your nose.

Not even slightly. I was arguing the opposite.
I was asking if he meant that. I was trying to understand what he meant by 'scumbag'

I know exactly what it means. It just depends on who's saying it.

Some people use it dismissively to refer to people that look a certain way or belong to a particular class; generally those at an economic disadvantage.

That's why I asked. I'd still like to know. Particularly how we can tell if someone is a scumbag based on how they look.
You didn't ask for clarification. You made your mind up that he meant "poor people". And if you're talking about poor people, you're talking about my relatives, right back to that cold, stony drumlin they crawled off back in the middle ages.

Again, the poverty line isn't exclusive to flats, or tracksuits. Tracksuits aren't exclusive to flats either.

I know this. I was asking if that was his understanding.

Are you guys mates?

But I can't speak for Anthony. I just know what he's talking about.

You can't speak for him, but you can read his mind.

You sound like besties.

You didn't ask for clarification. You made your mind up that he meant "poor people". And if you're talking about poor people, you're talking about my relatives, right back to that cold, stony drumlin they crawled off back in the middle ages.

I absolutely asked for clarification.

It seemed like he was talking about people in tracksuits, but I don't know. Who can tell? I can't read his mind like you can.
I wanted to be clear.

I know this. I was asking if that was his understanding.

Are you guys mates?

You can't speak for him, but you can read his mind.

You sound like besties.
I'm more interested in your definition of "poor" than Anthony's definition of "scumbags". Perhaps he's just met the wrong poor people.

I know Anthony about as well as I know you.

I'm more interested in your definition of "poor" than Anthony's definition of "scumbags".

Clearly.

I was asking if his definition of scumbags was a synonym for poor. Mine is not.
I'd never use the word 'poor' pejoratively.
My definition of poor in that question was essentially my relatives, and in the larger sense people from the flats.
My question was phrased defensively.
Do you mean poor people? i.e. Do you mean my family? DO you mean people from the flats?
Because if you do, you can fuck off.

It's not my definition of 'poor' but it's how I used it in that sentence.

Your own reading comprehension is on you.

''Y'is are all bleedin' poshos with yer lawned gardens and louis vutton manbags. get away from me ya dirty poshos.''

Toby-Young_2641700-547x413.jpg

jesus christ lads, just admit ye're poshos
My credentials are pretty good. I remember the owl wans scrubbing their stoops, and the rag and bone man, and climbing over glinting drifts of syringes in the derelict buildings and stealing bread from outside the bakery and the shoplifting and wearing the same trews for three years and mates houses with pictures of Elvis and the Pope on the wall and so forth. We were poor, but we were happy, or whatever. Maybe not. I have the same understanding of happiness as I do of poverty. I've been there, occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back