In defence of hipsters (2 Viewers)

Which one?
299px-The-Magical-Numbers.jpg

Erm, the only one?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Right, so you let the media provide a definition of class (instead of considering the media to be a total load of shit mostly owned by Denis O'Brien) and you have mates who are fucking stupid. Fair play.

Generally I'd say the more scumbag areas are in places like D4, cause those areas tend to be where the people that fuck over everyone they know live.

They do it every fucking day in the newspapers and on television and that is the whole fucking point that I was making in an earlier post about white collared crime... and your generalisation of D4 area is as disingenuous as tarring an entire strata of society with the scumbag brush. Scumbag!

D4 is more of a shorthand for a class of Irish society, the people that went to Blackrock or wanted to, the elites in the professions, the high up departmental officials in the public service. The golden circle.
The people that have a massive vested interest in the status quo.
It is not meant to refer to everyone in that postcode, to my view anyway.
It's a bit like saying Hollywood when referring to the film industry or Wall St when you're talking about banks.

On the other hand when people talk negatively about places like Clondalkin or Finglas, they tend to tar everyone with the same brush.

isn't it feckin' obvious that a slur against the privileged doesn't carry the same (or even any) weight? there's no discrimination or socio-economic consequences associated with being classed as a posho.

isn't it feckin' obvious that a slur against the privileged doesn't carry the same (or even any) weight? there's no discrimination or socio-economic consequences associated with being classed as a posho.

Did I say there was discrimination against the poverty-challenged? My point is that it's hypocritical to say "don't use that term, it promotes unfair stereotyping" and then to let a similar, if less loaded, term slide. Either we accept that not everyone is what they may seem or we don't.

Did I say there was discrimination against the poverty-challenged? My point is that it's hypocritical to say "don't use that term, it promotes unfair stereotyping" and then to let a similar, if less loaded, term slide. Either we accept that not everyone is what they may seem or we don't.

G'wan ya posho scumbag from D4.

it's not hypocritical because they're not equivalent things

They are used as shorthand for particular stereotypes of Irish culture. You're attaching values to them but the very fact that being private school educated and being from a particular part of Dublin is synonymous with keeping the status quo and keeping the working class down does suggest to me that they are somewhat equivalent. No one ever means something nice by saying "scumbag" or "D4 head".

"Generally I'd say the more scumbag areas are in places like D4, cause those areas tend to be where the people that fuck over everyone they know live."

So exactly which part of this statement is a problem for you?
Is it not the case that most of the wealthier parts of society, often coming from financially and politically related jobs, have a great tendency to live in more affluent areas such as Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Dalkey, Killiney, Howth, etc?
Is it not the case that millionaires generally make their money by taking advantage of a system which oppresses the poorer members of society?
Could it not therefore be said that these people should be considered to be 'scumbags' - particularly the likes of the bankers and politicians that are continually taking advantage of the 'financial crisis' which they themselves caused?
Is it not therefore allowable to say "I would think of these areas as being the more scumbag areas" due to the fact that some of the people living in these areas have specifically damaged society to a much greater extent than any other people in the country?

Does this statement classify all D4 inhabitants as 'scumbags'? No.
Is this statement using the term 'D4' as a term to refer to 'upper class' types in some kind of derogatory manner? No.
Does this statement use the term 'D4' as an indicator of geographical area? Yes.

Is this statement therefore the same thing as saying, for instance, that all people in tracksuits are scumbags? Absolutely not.

Maybe if you do a bit of reading and using the oul brain there, instead of getting on some kind of fucking high horse about some perceived slight which doesn't even fucking exist, you might come up with some kind of actually relevant comment.

Stop obfuscating the argument and if you are going to make one then be clear about it. Waste of fucking time with you and it took you 12 hours for that lame come back!? If you are going to argue with someone then stick consistently to your points, don't contradict yourself over and over again by beating yourself with your own fucking argument.

Here..take this line But I think your generalisation of leafy suburbs is as disingenuous as tarring and entire strata of society with the scumbag brush. You can't decry a perceived intolerance with an actual one.

Now compare it with this fucking line:

Generally
I'd say the more scumbag areas are in places like D4, cause those areas tend to be where the people that fuck over everyone they know live.

You just defeated your own argument with your own intolerant generalization, goodbye.

Last edited:
Stop obfuscating the argument and if you are going to make one then be clear about it. Waste of fucking time with you and it took you 12 hours for that lame come back!? If you are going to argue with someone then stick consistently to your points, don't contradict yourself over and over again by beating yourself with your own fucking argument.

Here..take this line But I think your generalisation of leafy suburbs is as disingenuous as tarring and entire strata of society with the scumbag brush. You can't decry a perceived intolerance with an actual one.

Now compare it with this fucking line:

Generally
I'd say the more scumbag areas are in places like D4, cause those areas tend to be where the people that fuck over everyone they know live.

You just defeated your own argument with your own intolerant generalization, goodbye.

I said the first bit, Corm said the second bit. We're actually different people. I live in D4 and he's a bit of a scumbag, to be honest. I think he might be a terrorist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back