In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

I dislike the term 'scumbags' intensely, because it generally seems to be a catch all term for people that look a certain way or are from a particular part of town, rather than a descriptor of behaviour.
a bit like hipster really

Surely scumbags would include tennis pros that kick your head in on Grafton St and boys from good homes that beat you to death outside Annabel's?
sure

While we're at it. Denis O'Brien is a scumbag, Michael Lowry is a scumbag, Seanie Fitz is a scumbag.

maybe but we know too much about them to need a catch-all term for them, we can get into specifics.

The thing about hipsters is that unlike punk, ska, rockabilly, new romance, grunge, there doesn't seem to be any definable music/socio/cultural movement to back them up. What exactly defines them? They seem completely anodyne with fuck all to say. Just plain dull.

I think the thing about hipsters is that they are not a self-identified group and no-one (bar i'm sure a few exceptions) has tried to reclaim the term for themselves, like they did with derogatory terms like twee.

It's also related to the "poptimism" argument where people don't want to be seen to be rockists with narrow tastes, such opinions could seen as borderline racist these days.

I online of get the no socks if wearing shorts. The fact that it's warm enough for shorts means that it could be too warm for socks too. So it's a temperature/comfort issue.

But if some cunt is wearing shoes and long-legged pants with no socks he's a piece of shit.

Like any fucking arsehole indoors wearing a hat and tshirt, or scarf and tshirt. It makes zero sense, so that's when you know they're a cretin

Unless you've got Chronic shit hair from a disease or something and you actually need a hat or some throat thing that actually requires a scarf.

I dislike the term 'scumbags' intensely, because it generally seems to be a catch all term for people that look a certain way or are from a particular part of town, rather than a descriptor of behaviour.

Surely scumbags would include tennis pros that kick your head in on Grafton St and boys from good homes that beat you to death outside Annabel's?

While we're at it. Denis O'Brien is a scumbag, Michael Lowry is a scumbag, Seanie Fitz is a scumbag.
To my way of thinking anyway.
Abosfuckinglutely they are.

But you're telling me people who "look certain way or are from a particular part of town" are poor? Man, that's patronising and facile and demeans your entire argument.

Abosfuckinglutely they are.

But you're telling me people who "look certain way or are from a particular part of town" are poor? Man, that's patronising and facile and demeans your entire argument.

Poor. Working class. From the flats. Socially disadvantaged. From the estate. Those less fortunate......

There's a general attitude to people described this way, that's often summed up with the word 'scumbag', and I hate it.

I grew up poor as ass. Everyone I knew was poor. Some people always want to paint that class as criminal, when it's the elites that have fucked the country.

I don't have any argument beyond hating that word.

Poor. Working class. From the flats. Socially disadvantaged. From the estate. Those less fortunate......

There's a general attitude to people described this way, that's often summed up with the word 'scumbag', and I hate it.

I grew up poor as ass. Everyone I knew was poor. Some people always want to paint that class as criminal, when it's the elites that have fucked the country.

I agree, that word has been conflated with people who are usually from working class backgrounds. RTE with its Love/Hate and the like, doesn't exactly help either.

I use "Scumbags" to describe people who are up to shitty behaviour of all sorts, and it has nothing to do with class. I really don't get where people have got the idea that it is only associated with 'working-class' types. I used to hear it used in relation to drug-dealer types all the time, and all the big drug dealers tend to be fucking loaded and living in massive houses and shit.

I draw the line at shoes with no socks.

I wasnt even aware of it til now.

BUT JUST NO.Even odd socks..any sorta sock.

But NO SOCKS?

Thats taking the Michael.

speaking of scumbags..

Good_9d0614_2530717.jpg

i don't see 'scumbag' as class- / income- / area-related, purely behavioral. but it's unfair to actual scumbags (i.e. condoms), which serve a real purpose, when used as a pejorative.

Being poor isn't solely in the domain of the "working class", which, frankly, is a term far more loaded than scumbag. Being poor is fucking everyone. You didn't have to grow up in a box made of shit in <insert suitably disadvantaged area here> in the 1980s to experience poverty.

We are all fucking disadvantaged in this tiny, oppressive, self serving and stupid state. Some people choose to go around be cunts to other people. These people are scumbags, and they inhabit every strata of society. From being mugged at syringe point to being cut off on the bike by some pompous prick in a range rover to not picking up your dog's shit.

We all want to feel special and oppressed, but it's difficult when you're a white, western male. I get it. I'm disabled because I'm bald. I should have a sticker. I deserve a statue. I demand a riot.

Being poor isn't solely in the domain of the "working class", which, frankly, is a term far more loaded than scumbag. Being poor is fucking everyone. You didn't have to grow up in a box made of shit in <insert suitably disadvantaged area here> in the 1980s to experience poverty.

We are all fucking disadvantaged in this tiny, oppressive, self serving and stupid state. Some people choose to go around be cunts to other people. These people are scumbags, and they inhabit every strata of society. From being mugged at syringe point to being cut off on the bike by some pompous prick in a range rover to not picking up your dog's shit.

We all want to feel special and oppressed, but it's difficult when you're a white, western male. I get it. I'm disabled because I'm bald. I should have a sticker. I deserve a statue. I demand a riot.

Which is why I want to see my newspapers report more on White collar crimes by politicians, bankers and other sociopaths. Instead we have this 'scumbag' and that 'scumbag' shot that 'scumbag' and this 'scumbag'. People from leafy middle class area think that where that crime is happening are 'scumbag' areas inhabited by 'scumbags'..whether you choose to believe that or not.That's not to mitigate those crimes btw, but please show some fucking balance here RTE. People do not conflate the pejorative term 'scumbags' with greedy bankers, corrupt politicians, dodgy judges or whatever with their 5 bedroom bungalows in some leafy posh suburb somewhere in Dublin. People here will refer almost lovingly to them as 'cute hoors' or 'chancers'.

I think you all make valid points with how that term is used. It has definitely taken on a few meanings over the years. I think it depends how its used a bit like cunts. Cunts has loads of different meanings but it comes down to context. One can make that word sound absolutely hilarious and grotesquely vulgar in equal measures.

Which is why I want to see my newspapers report more on White collar crimes by politicians, bankers and other sociopaths. Instead we have this 'scumbag' and that 'scumbag' shot that 'scumbag' and this 'scumbag'. People from leafy middle class area think that where that crime is happening are 'scumbag' areas inhabited by 'scumbags'..whether you choose to believe that or not.That's not to mitigate those crimes btw, but please show some fucking balance here RTE. People do not conflate the pejorative term 'scumbags' with greedy bankers, corrupt politicians, dodgy judges or whatever with their 5 bedroom bungalows in some leafy posh suburb somewhere in Dublin. People here will refer almost lovingly to them as 'cute hoors' or 'chancers'.
I've never once come across the word "scumbag" in the meeja. But I think your generalisation of leafy suburbs is as disingenuous as tarring and entire strata of society with the scumbag brush. You can't decry a perceived intolerance with an actual one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back