In defence of hipsters (4 Viewers)

why would you want to turn your spare room into a boardroom anyway? i doubt anyone would want to use a spare room in some random suburban house for their business meetings

The problem here is the use of the word "poor". I'm fucking poor. I have a job. My missus has a job. If the landlord puts up the rent on this place, we're fucking homeless. Water charges are going to pinch. Tax is a cunt. The kids are a blackhole. I can afford go to the doctor once a year, despite being on death's door on an almost continual basis. I look forward to getting sox and jox at xmas, cos it saves me money. If I'm lucky, i might get some new shoes this year. Maybe. This is fucking poverty.

"Underprivileged" is cutting it either. Let's think of a new phrase.

The problem here is the use of the word "poor". I'm fucking poor. I have a job. My missus has a job. If the landlord puts up the rent on this place, we're fucking homeless. Water charges are going to pinch. Tax is a cunt. The kids are a blackhole. I can afford go to the doctor once a year, despite being on death's door on an almost continual basis. I look forward to getting sox and jox at xmas, cos it saves me money. If I'm lucky, i might get some new shoes this year. Maybe. This is fucking poverty.

"Underprivileged" is cutting it either. Let's think of a new phrase.

The euphemism is 'working poor' I think

I know loads like this. Running a gauntlet of bills and expenses every week while trying to provide a happy childhood for their kids.

It's how I grew up.

The euphemism is 'working poor' I think

I know loads like this. Running a gauntlet of bills and expenses every week while trying to provide a happy childhood for their kids.

It's how I grew up.
Likewise. And I dint stab no cunts in the fizzog wirra needle for their bike neither. And it was Dublin 8! When it was proper skanky! You know, before the gays moved in!

Likewise. And I dint stab no cunts in the fizzog wirra needle for their bike neither. And it was Dublin 8! When it was proper skanky! You know, before the gays moved in!

Every neighbourhood in Dublin where heroin came into in the 70s organised against it.
Because the govt were afraid of Sinn Fein, they sided against CPAD and locked them up while giving Garda protection to the dealers.

Anyone with any money in the country hid it from the tax man in Ansbacher accounts or whatever else.
The tax net was left to the PAYE sector and was not enough to provide for those less fortunate in society and they were left with just enough to survive on.
The country continues to be run by and for the elites. Everyone from Lowry to Bertie have been on the take.

You can't put people in flats and estates with no future for generation after generation and expect no crime or social problems.
Expecting everyone who the game is rigged against to display fortitude and stoicism in the face of it is to misunderstand human beings.

Or that's how I see it anyway.

Then Harbo comes in with his blog and makes a joke of the whole thing.

Fuck that guy.

Every neighbourhood in Dublin where heroin came into in the 70s organised against it.
Because the govt were afraid of Sinn Fein, they sided against CPAD and locked them up while giving Garda protection to the dealers.

Anyone with any money in the country hid it from the tax man in Ansbacher accounts or whatever else.
The tax net was left to the PAYE sector and was not enough to provide for those less fortunate in society and they were left with just enough to survive on.
The country continues to be run by and for the elites. Everyone from Lowry to Bertie have been on the take.

You can't put people in flats and estates with no future for generation after generation and expect no crime or social problems.
Expecting everyone who the game is rigged against to display fortitude and stoicism in the face of it is to misunderstand human beings.

Or that's how I see it anyway.

Then Harbo comes in with his blog and makes a joke of the whole thing.

Fuck that guy.
I'm going to come clean. I haven't read Harbo's blog.

I guess another way of thinking about who is made responsible for things in society would be to take a random sample of the prison population and work out along class lines who is over or under-represented there. This might provide evidence to contend, as many do, that you are far more likely to be held personally responsible and punished depending on your social situation.

That's true enough although class will not guarantee immunity and in occasional cases will go against you. Is the "25 convictions and he's walking free after a few months" wail an anecdotal myth?

The invention of professionalism in the modern age is defined by the separation of private person from public office, so even though 'bankers' manage to fuck up the world economy, it's not possible to assign personal responsibilty and send them to prison.
There is nothing inherently 'civilised' about this, it's a bit of a random evolutionary result. In Rome, for instance, such separation was not recognised, though obviously Roman society was far less differentiated than contemporary world society. But while it's probabl a condition of developing an advanced economy, it's not a morally 'better' situation to be in.

Bankers cannot exist in a vacuum. It is a two way relationship with the other party being the customer. This situation played out a number of times for me

"I'm sorry. Your loan has been declined. I don't think you can afford it. Especially if you're out of work for any period of time or interest rates rise."

"Fuck you. I'll try another financial institution."

Irresponsible lending must be balanced with irresponsible borrowing.

Morally and politically, the perceived disjunction created by 'selective personal responsibility' exists, but not in the way you put it. Rather, people are fucking raging that, thanks to 'systemic' problems and the separation of person from office, professional bankers can not only walk away from disaster with their jobs and money intact and their hands clean

About 5,000 jobs have been lost in Irish banking over the last five years. More will follow. I've had no pay increase since 2008. Not even cost of living. There are thousands like me in the industry.

but that they can also turn around and make offensively stupid moral judgements on people who are already in a structurally limited position in society, as though they are all morally equivalent, and then use those moral arguments to do things like cut benefits, take away social support for disabled people, force young people and unemployed people to work for free for corporations (the moral worth of work myth), give tax relief to high income, allow tax loopholes for capital gains, etc etc.
Not saying that's you. But your moral equivalences are pretty shaky.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this but the bankers do not have the power to impose these measures.

The negative impact of violent crime on the victim should never be underestimated or should it be justified or mitigated by blaming someone's poor circumstances.

It might feel like you are entering the Gaza Strip and you may not get out of the North Strand alive

No it doesn't it feels like you're walking into a fucking restaurant in a fucking capital city of a wealthy western european city

as opposed to living in fear of this happening without warning
Gaza-war-001.jpg

You fucking bell end.

What a fucking cunt. I want to batter him on principal.

By the way that restaurant is incredible. Lovely people too. Everyone should eat there right this second. Stop making excuses and go. Now.

Ha I've been working and missed some of his other qrticles this is genius.
  • Get proper funding in place. If it takes 50 or 100 million Euros to fix this problem then just sort the money out and get it done. Its hard to find cash these days but maybe we could skim 100 million off a motorway project like this (of course we need better roads but we could live with a slightly downgraded one to fix something as important as this maybe?)
    Brilliant, just amazing. While we're at it we could cut the budget for , say pensions so that we can build a wall around the north side and keep them out entirely no ? The wall did loads for Berlin's popularity in the long run with barely any downside right. Sure fuck old people anyway. And do "Skangers" really need schools ? I mean they never do fuck all with education they get, so fuck 'em like you can't teach a scumbag fuck all anyway so we could just cut all funding for schools in Ballymun, Tallaght, Dublin 8 and then we could build a decent subway system so we can all get to the airport without having to go anywhere near the top soil of the north side or have to deal with the unwashed and exiled
Put one person in charge of this. Our city has over a million people living here. We welcome millions of tourists. 100s of people are sleeping rough, committing crime and making our city a scary place as a result. That sort of problem won’t be sorted through management by committee. It needs one person.
I'd say we put Courney Love in charge. She know's her shit like and she made at least one junky disappear without having to answer for it.
The guards don’t seem to care or have no incentive to deal with the issue. Moving people on or telling them off isn’t a deterrent. Give them proper powers and if that means a zero tolerance approach then so be it. This only works if there is funding and places for these people to go to get treatment which there isn’t at the moment.
By "treatment" I mean
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"TREATMENT"

Move proper treatment centers out to quieter parts of the city

Ha ha ha ha yeah, Dalkey is pretty fucking quiet you shite bag.

I love this shit head he's amazing. Someone please show him this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back