In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

ekjv2zpevdym01kcbaem.png

You need a high PF score and a low FB share rate to be a truly hipster band, says science.

It's hard to follow

Arcade Fire = not hipster.

Really?

They are too well-known to be cool.

Mention the new Arcade Fire record in Williamsburg and everyone will stare at you and stop being your friend, is how the thinking goes, I assume.

It is quite ridiculous, but someone made it.

@nlgbbbblth seems to have a very specific grasp of hipster that's quite different to everyone else's 'hipster is what I say is hipster' reasoning, it's come up before. Would you be able to elaborate? We could do with some straight talking here.

@nlgbbbblth seems to have a very specific grasp of hipster that's quite different to everyone else's 'hipster is what I say is hipster' reasoning, it's come up before. Would you be able to elaborate? We could do with some straight talking here.

Everyone has their own idea of what it is.

It's almost meaningless.

Well no. People have their own views and so do I. Some bands will never shrug off the tag. Arcade Fire being one on the basis of their appearance alone. My interpretation of the word includes such variables and characteristics [BUT NOT LIMITED TO] such as beards, chinstroking, disdain for sport, born-again-vinyl-junkies, anti-suit policy, music pigeonholism, tickbox right-on checklists, anti-pop dance stance etc.

beards No. Don't do beards.
chinstroking Have chin, will stroke
disdain for sport I watch some rugby & a bit of soccer but I hate soccerheads. Back in primary school in the late 80's I kept noticing what wankers they were.
born-again-vinyl-junkies I'm back buying vinyl but not a vinyl big upper. I still buy way more CDs.
anti-suit policy oh yeah
music pigeonholism No. Don't do that.
tickbox right-on checklists Eh?
anti-pop dance stance etc. I like pop, but I hate ravers.

I'm going to watch the match, don't tell anyone.

The checklist is about having predictably liberal opinions on a multitude of issues without offering a valid rationale for each stance i.e. picking a side because it's expected.

In my world hipsters were always there. I've never known life without them. Well since the early 1980s anyway which is when I started getting into music.

beards Yup, and how

chinstroking i'm more of a twiddler

disdain for sport Sport is the reason we have a brain and a muscle system.

born-again-vinyl-junkies People who collect things are tying themselves down to one place in the world where they believe they will always be satisfied , i.e the past

anti-suit policy Myself and my old housemate once decided that the ultimate male stripper was a man who started off naked and then very slowly put on a tailored well fitting suit. Like burlesque fan dance in reverse in a way, it starts off with the slightly comedic tease that is a naked man and ending with the sexy part which is a man in a suit. It's reversed for women who get sexier as they get more undressed but a man in a well fitting suit that's as hot as we get. Yes my flatmate was a women. No I am not gay, I'm just a realist. Yes i own a suit. Yes It fits. And yes I do look devine in it.

No still not gay.

music pigeonholism Yup it's good or it' coldplay, Yuck, Joanna Newsome, Animal Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc etc

tickbox right-on checklists Of course.
anti-pop dance stance etc. Love pop, love mid 90's dance classics big beat and some house music. Fucking hate dubstep though.

So I'm totes hipster right ?

Well no. People have their own views and so do I. Some bands will never shrug off the tag. Arcade Fire being one on the basis of their appearance alone. My interpretation of the word includes such variables and characteristics [BUT NOT LIMITED TO] such as beards, chinstroking, disdain for sport, born-again-vinyl-junkies, anti-suit policy, music pigeonholism, tickbox right-on checklists, anti-pop dance stance etc.

I remember being called a "Grafton St trendy" back in the 80s

I think the person would have used hipster had they known the word then

born-again-vinyl-junkies People who collect things are tying themselves down to one place in the world where they believe they will always be satisfied , i.e the past

This is 100% true unfortunately.

Mind you people who go out of their way to tell you how they aren't tied town by material possessions and will 'try anything' (except committing to something) are considerably worse.

There's got to be a balance right? Or is balance the worst thing there can be due to it's deathly dullness?

aggh, this is the stuff that keeps me up at night

Would that have been distinct from being called a "shaper" or a "poser"? Words I remember being bandied around when I was a kid.
Pop up was another one. A pop up was a weekend Curehead. "Bartley's is fuckin full of Pop Ups."
"Well, don't go in the Tell in that case."

Great days.

I don't really agree with this. I just like the physicality of a record. I like how they sound and I like the ritual of listening to them. It's a genuine pleasure in life.

I don't know if I'm still a hipster. You'd have to ask @Jill Hives

I don't really agree with this. I just like the physicality of a record. I like how they sound and I like the ritual of listening to them. It's a genuine pleasure in life.

well my feelings on this are mixed, as per the minor breakdown in the rest of my post.

I like all this too and have started buying vinyl again over the last few months but the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist in me does sometimes wonder if the vinyl renaissance was started to get people to pay for music again, and pay through the nose. I just sometimes think it's odd that people will pay €35 for a warpaint album that they can download for €10 or can buy next month on cd for €5

Mind you people who go out of their way to tell you how they aren't tied town by material possessions and will 'try anything' (except committing to something) are considerably worse.

There's got to be a balance right? Or is balance the worst thing there can be due to it's deathly dullness?

aggh, this is the stuff that keeps me up at night

I don't know if I'm still a hipster. You'd have to ask @Jill Hives
I like all this too and have started buying vinyl again over the last few months but the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist in me does sometimes wonder if the vinyl renaissance was started to get people to pay for music again, and pay through the nose. I just sometimes think it's odd that people will pay €35 for a warpaint album that they can download for €10 or can buy next month on cd for €5

Well it's part of that is music an object or an experience debate. When my job at home was going bust and I had the option to move here (London) I was a bit miffed at leaving my CDs and DVDs and books at home but I have an ipod and laptop and kindle and honestly I've never missed anything I owned from home.

Except my amp. I really miss that amp. Christ it was loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back