In defence of hipsters (5 Viewers)

alt bros are guys what are usually lads, that latch on to the idea of being alternative. usually by wearing stuff that is 'in' like the snapback hats. swag bros are the same except they appropriate elements of hip hop culture. alt and swag bros probably use the word "banter" and aren't really interested in music

And here I thought you meant 'alt' country. Like John Deer trucker hats and check shirts.
I think I only know divorced dad bros.

It's weird the way hipster has become this umbrella term to categorise anyone who is interested in clothes and having weird haircuts. To be honest, i was a fuckin weird looking teenager, (like Lori Petty in Point Break with spots, which was weird for a 15 year old guy) and i started dressing a certain way and cutting my own hair because it gave me some confidence. I dress more or less the same way now as I do then, but now I'd get called a hipster.

It's like those dudes in Sallynoggin that called me "Highlander" when I had long hair, or "Tank Girl" when that came out on video

It's weird the way hipster has become this umbrella term to categorise anyone who is interested in clothes and having weird haircuts. To be honest, i was a fuckin weird looking teenager, (like Lori Petty in Point Break with spots, which was weird for a 15 year old guy) and i started dressing a certain way and cutting my own hair because it gave me some confidence. I dress more or less the same way now as I do then, but now I'd get called a hipster.

It's like those dudes in Sallynoggin that called me "Highlander" when I had long hair, or "Tank Girl" when that came out on video

Don't forget you also play synths.

AFAIK hipster used to be used as a derogatory remark for white guys who were into black music/culture. Always been a nasty old word.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Edit: has Harry appeared in here yet?

I don't think it was derogatory back in the '40s nor for most of the period it has been in use. Harry Gibson claimed to have coined the term himself so he didn't think of it negatively. Maybe for some it carried a meaning like "wigger" did to a later generation.I knew lads 10 or more years ago who referred to themselves as hipsters in a positive, irony-free sense. It was just a word like hepcat, indicating someone tuned in to what's cool.

There's probably still an early post by me on thumped somewhere where I was complaining about emo being used as a noun instead of an adjective.

Just thought i'd share.

edit: eh... adjective

Last edited:
This person is a friend of @Jill Hives

Sorry, Jill

130923_CBOX_Hipster.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ded_indie_rock_loving_contrarian_article.html

In fairness you're NO ONE unless you have at least one friend who writes for Vice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back