In defence of hipsters (1 Viewer)

Have we reached peak hipster? | Fashion | theguardian.com

"Hipsterism isn't a style, it's a uniform," says Simon Elder, who seems to know the local terrain well. "Venture into certain pubs in Hackney on a Friday night and it looks like an Allen Ginsberg convention – but without the poetry. No room for variation, no space for creativity, only a checklist of conformity ticked off by the virtual doorman in your head."

"Hipsterism isn't a style, it's a uniform," says Simon Elder, who seems to know the local terrain well. "Venture into certain pubs in Hackney on a Friday night and it looks like an Allen Ginsberg convention – but without the poetry. No room for variation, no space for creativity, only a checklist of conformity ticked off by the virtual doorman in your head."
The Guardian must have a whole department dedicated to this subject and beards. I swear I’ve seen a variation on this article on there about 857 times already this year…

They're even slagging their 'sister publication' the Salon for their hipsterism

It was ever thus. Well it was thus 10 years ago.

Brooklyn Killed Manhattan, and is Dead Itself - Why One Man Hates It

"It’s not that I don’t like the culturati hipsters, but the last time I was in an environment where people only wanted to be with people exactly like themselves was in a fucking mall in Minnesota, which is why I left there twenty years ago.”

All of this coverage just seems to smack of "These young people, they don't have a clue. Not like in my day."
Which is probably the most boring thing anyone can fucking say when talking about culture.
It was how reactionaries talked about the counterculture in the 60s because they all wore jeans.

Massively uninteresting. And only moreso with the endless repetition.

This thread itself is 6 years old.

All of this coverage just seems to smack of "These young people, they don't have a clue. Not like in my day."
Which is probably the most boring thing anyone can fucking say when talking about culture.
It was how reactionaries talked about the counterculture in the 60s because they all wore jeans.

Massively uninteresting. And only moreso with the endless repetition.

This thread itself is 6 years old.

Something about Hipsters is to the lifestyle section what "Vinyl is making a comeback" is to the music section.

This happens about every four years also

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Roger Bennett on growing U.S. love for the other kind of football

You could probably find a Sports Illustrated from 30 years ago with the same thrust

Totally a thing.

There's the ongoing thing in the UK* with Hurling being shown on Sky, any of this have a following yet among the hipster literati? Or is the whole Irish connection too confused over there?

*well, according to irish newspapers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back