IMRO Limited Online Exploitation Licence (1 Viewer)

whats the whole 'host' business about?? i wouldnt be clear about that, but say for example i fire up a bandcamp widget or a soundcould on my blog, thats not hosting is it??? if it is - i'd technically owe money for putting my own stuff up. if thats not hosting then all the indie blogs could probably just chip in and communally host the stuff somewhere.

IMRO, to me, is a con built on a reasonable premise - to reimburse artists for use of their music. There are just all sorts of wrong in how they are run, how they calculate their charges and how they distribute the money they do collect. I remember researching old threads here to see how other folks felt about it and it seems some of you have registered your bands with them and get the odd cheque off them. Great. But i'd love to know - where do they get the figure of 750 euro for unicrons friend for example? How much of that 750 goes to artists, how much is burned up by IMRO? How much of it goes to the artists that unicrons friends was actually playing, and how much to U2?

IMRO are a total scam, like all these organisations.
These companies exist so that fat idiots that have never touched an instrument in their life can sit around in offices raking in cash from music, whilst the actual musicians get fuck all for their efforts. Typical music industry bullshit. That's what the music industry is see, a bunch of cunts that make millions off other peoples' music, whilst the actual musicians get fuck all.

Should music blogs ever pay any money to anyone for any reason? Even if they are one of the few generating a reasonable income? Or is IMRO's idea conceptually horrific to all music bloggers rather than being an inevitability executed ineptly?

If a band offers an mp3 to (say) nialler9.com because they want some publicity then he should pay them?

I have a feeling this is more to do with IMRO needing to be seen to pursue all 'exploiters' of their clients' work rather than wanting to force music bloggers out of the game for the sake of €150 quid.

Im 100% not arguing for IMRO, I'm just trying to understand the nub of the objection. Radio have been promoting people's music since forever and the idea of radio not paying royalties on the grounds that the service they provide is payment in itself rarely, if ever comes up so I'm not sure that argument is going to hold any water Pete

But radio stations (that play music) don't exist to tell people about great new music - they exist to sell advertising. This is something they are entirely dependent on the music for, so of course they should be giving the artists their cut.

It's a completely different argument for music blogs like nialler9.com - bands want to exploit his audience to be heard, so they freely and voluntarily ASK him to post their stuff. But people would still read nialler9.com if he stopped posting actual music files.

Oh yeah.Maybe I'll hold off.See how this thing pans out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back