IMAX returning to Dublin in December (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Hopefully it lasts longer this time.

IMAX Comes to Cineworld Dublin

We are delighted to announce the launch of Ireland’s only IMAX® screen at Cineworld Dublin on 13th December 2012.

The new IMAX screen at Cineworld on Parnell Street will offer cinema goers a uniquely immersive cinematic experience, allowing them to enjoy the biggest blockbusters – including the latest fantasy film from the Lord of the Rings Director Peter Jackson, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Irish release date December 13th) – like never before. With ground-breaking, crystal-clear digital projection, cutting-edge sound technology and a curved screen spanning from floor to ceiling and wall to wall, The IMAX Experience® will allow Irish film fans the opportunity to watch the latest film releases in a totally new way.

Jane O’Callaghan, Cineworld Dublin General Manager, comments, “We couldn’t be more excited to bring this amazing experience to our customers. It’s great to be leading the way with the only IMAX screen in Ireland. We can’t wait to open the screen in style with Peter Jackson’s highly anticipated blockbuster The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.”

“We are delighted to be bringing IMAX to our cinema in Dublin, so Irish film fans can enjoy an experience like no other. The response from our customers to our recently opened IMAX screens in Ipswich and Birmingham has been overwhelmingly positive, and today’s announcement is a direct result of our success to date,” said Crispin Lilly, Vice President of Business Affairs, Cineworld Group PLC. “IMAX is a key differentiator for our multiplexes and we’re delighted to bring the unique, premium, immersive cinematic experience that only IMAX delivers to our customers in Ireland.”

IMAX’s President of EMEA, Andrew Cripps, added: “Cineworld has been a great partner and we are proud to be opening our seventh complex with them. In IMAX, everything from the film itself to the screen technology and design was developed and customised to make moviegoers believe they’re part of the action. Cineworld shares our commitment to providing an unforgettable cinema experience and together, we are delighted that audiences in Ireland will now be able to enjoy Hollywood’s biggest blockbusters in the world’s most immersive format.”

http://www.cineworld.ie/news/399/detail

can they call it IMAX if it's not, or is there an official IMAX-lite?

Well there's IMAX, which is the massive floor-to-ceiling curved screen thingy, and then there's IMAX Digital, which in many cases is closer to Odeon's iSense, nowhere near the traditional IMAX experience.

I was never at the old IMAX at the Parnell Centre; I presume it was the former?

yeah pretty sure it was full-blown IMAX back then but i may be wrong.

Looking forward to this - hopefully they'll put on some recent releases we'd have missed here, as well as the new stuff. I've only ever seen one proper IMAX movie - The Dark Knight - and it was awesome.

Are they bringing this back for the potentially manky 48fps Hobbit?

Are they bringing this back for the potentially manky 48fps Hobbit?

They're selling tickets where I live for that and the IMAX and the increased FPS screenings are separate.

I was just saying to a mate how there are, I think, 4 options for screenings

3-D
IMAX 3-D
HFR 3-D (manky 48 fps)
Regular boring-ass 2D

I'm torn between the manky 3-D and the IMAX 3-D

I believe there's 8 types of screenings for the hobbit, that's including IMAX and regular 3/2D and some new fandangled surround sound technology.

I might go to The Hobbit in IMAX 3d for the spectacle as I've never been to an IMAX film, but I'm not paying for the entire Hobbit trilogy, they can fuck off with that nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back