iMac (1 Viewer)

pagr

Website
www.pawelgrabowski.com
hi to you all

i am thinking of buying an iMac to use for my graphic design stuff. unfortunately cannot afford the new model so thinking of some second hand model like Graphite or any other. Any of you guys use such machine for graphic design? any reviews?

i use apple powerbook for my music stuff, so know quite much of how macs work, but need to ask how do these old iMacs work for design. how does the graphic card works, the display etc.

thanks

pagr

hello

I use an i-Mac DV for design, works great. I got extra RAM fitted (from 128mb to 256mb and, with a good clear chunk of Hard Drive, run Photoshop, Quark and Illustrator happily. I do various nixers and prjoects on it and its grand.

Only gripe I have is the 15" monitor is a bit small, you end up zooming in out and lots and never *really* knowing how everything looks in one go. BUt you get used to it.

The old iMac will do just grand. But if you want to go all new and OSX but cant afford the new imac then I'd recommend the eMac. It has great specs and uses a G4 chip. Plus they have a beautiful flat screen on them.

anyone seen the new g5? crazy lookin' yoke.

oh, i'm on an ancient beige g3 with an 8gb hard drive (yes, 8) and a pathetic amount of ram. mostly web stuff, but it runs photoshop/quark/illustrator just grand for print/graphic stuff.

The G5 looks like a heater some southsider would buy from Habitat or some such place... that or a large cheese greater...

ps. I want one...

thanks a million guys for the advices
think i go for some DV one
i'd love to go for eMac, but its still too expensive as for me (DV's are about half cheaper)
also, don't fancy going for OS X since there's no really good quarkxpress version for it (i think there was a thread here about how screwed up quark6 is).
[anyone tried InDesign2 yet?]

i'll definitely look for some decent DV.
last question, where can i buy an extra RAM chip for them in Dublin?
all the machines i saw so far had only up to 128 MB.

thanks

pagr

pagr said:
also, don't fancy going for OS X since there's no really good quarkxpress version for it

wrong, xpress in now out for ten

pagr said:
last question, where can i buy an extra RAM chip for them in Dublin?
all the machines i saw so far had only up to 128 MB.

giz a pm, i may have a stick laying around for mac unused

Ian said:
i know Ian, its quarkxpress 6
and as some folks say, it barely works!!!
lots of buggies inside, looooooooots (as me heard) :)))
(as i wrote once, think there was a thread here 'bout this )

cheers

pagr

Ian said:
giz a pm, i may have a stick laying around for mac unused

was trying to sent you pm, here's what i got:

"1. Ian has exceded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

oh dear ooooh dear
what can we do now
oooh dear
:confused:

pagr

pagr said:
i know Ian, its quarkxpress 6
and as some folks say, it barely works!!!
lots of buggies inside, looooooooots (as me heard) :)))
(as i wrote once, think there was a thread here 'bout this )

cheers

pagr

dat wat de beta vertion... ceh full wan is ouh now tis grand i hear

pm bocks empty now buh sheesh, calm deh cacks

Ian said:

yes, but osX is the mankiest looking cheapo shite in the known universe and i'm sticking with good old os 9.2 til i have a very good reason to change.

hey woah, it's like poindexter central in here

hey mommy, look, real nerds!

ssh son, David Attenbourgh is recording...

"the lithe and angular mac-heads have no idea that behind the pile of dis-used USBs there lies this beautiful animal's only natural predator - the fearsome PC head! The PC head leaps, but alerts the group as he trips over an old CD burner and falls on his face and exclaims"neeeeh!" The alpha-egghead of the group alerts the others and in seconds they are thundering across the grasslands."

silo said:
yes, but osX is the mankiest looking cheapo shite in the known universe and i'm sticking with good old os 9.2 til i have a very good reason to change.

yes silo we AAaalll know how you feel about osx

No, osx is deadly. You may not like how it looks but it does some brilliant stuff. eg I hooked up my Powerbook to the new G4 and it saw it no problem. Also the i stuff is cool, especially iPhoto.

Lack of Xpress is a SERIOUS pain though. And Ian, Quark keep fucking around with the release of v6. Apaperntly you can get a demo on Cd from them (it's also going to be with the next Macworld mag) so you can see for yourself if they have improved on the disasterous beta version.

I've started doing a lot of layouts in Illustrator in the meantime. It's better fot some stuff but takes a bit longer.

I crave xpress 6 like I crave white bread.
It's not good for you but iiiiiii nnnneeeeeeeeed it±!

Anthony said:
No, osx is deadly. You may not like how it looks but it does some brilliant stuff.

besides theres this little free coco app called Dualtiy that allows you to change the "look" of your os... mine is all milk white now like the new iMacs and its deadly, there are other skins to download too... even the os9 look... so even if you upgrade but miss the "look" you can change it back to the jurrasic era if you want... everybody wins

Anthony said:
I've started doing a lot of layouts in Illustrator in the meantime. It's better fot some stuff but takes a bit longer.

yikes, thats rought tony

like scratching your eyes out with a plastic fork

Illustrator is the bomb for what it does well,
but it both blows and sucks at page layouts

nightmare

Ian said:
besides theres this little free coco app called Dualtiy that allows you to change the "look" of your os... mine is all milk white now like the new iMacs and its deadly, there are other skins to download too... even the os9 look... so even if you upgrade but miss the "look" you can change it back to the jurrasic era if you want... everybody wins

really? where? link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back