IFI showing Kubrick's films (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter tim
  • Start date
  • Replies 33
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 1
what was the introduction by Keir Dullea like?

caught this on wednesday. as my fren pointed out, the cinema is never that loud anymore. it really added to the athmosphere

Clicking aside it really was brilliant.
Apart from a very odd final question, the Keir Dullea introduction
was great too. Really interesting/funny to hear how some of the
shots were achieved.

what was the odd final question?

I'm not even certain, but there was a really strange guy in the very
front row who asked it.
Keir just awkardly answered "Yes...I was Dave, Hal was the computer".
Thankfully he turned it into a little story on the actor who voiced Hal
though, so wasn't a complete waste of a question.

Not having seen 2001 in the cinema before, I really enjoyed that showing last night and having Keir Dullea there just made it very special. Was awestruck at the overall sound design - some amazing spooky noise in the final end sequence, which i can't say i ever really noticed before. Brilliant

Not having seen 2001 in the cinema before, I really enjoyed that showing last night and having Keir Dullea there just made it very special. Was awestruck at the overall sound design - some amazing spooky noise in the final end sequence, which i can't say i ever really noticed before. Brilliant

would have to agree on how much of a difference it made seeing this in the cinema.
the subtle changes in the two guys expressions when they first realise that HAL has gone mental and they're completely fucked is probably my favourite moment in any Kubrick film..
and it's something you never get watching it on a small screen

what was the odd final question?

it was an amazing question... after 20 minutes of Keir Dullea talking about how he got the role of Dave, how he played the role of Dave, how he did Dave's stunts and talking about all the people they auditioned for the voice of Hal yer man pipes up
"So were you the voice of the computer?"

it would only have been better had he asked if he'd been one of the monkey-men at the start.
although i get the feeling he wasn't the full shilling...

Saw the US cut of The Shining yesterday. Had never seen it before although i knew what scenes had been cut by Kubrick for the UK version.

It really improved some of it (Danny's 'illness' & relationship with his father) and slowed the pace in other parts. Still unbelievably awesome though. I'd always wanted to see the full length version. The music is utterly amazing.

Read Space Odyssey during the week. Much less emphasis on HAL but the film makes a lot more sense now! Excellent book anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back