Idea for saving ROAD Records (1 Viewer)

Hope all going good at the top of the food chain.

Just wondering, of the indie shops, are there particular ones that have an "Independent Irish Releases" section with zines etc.? These would be the best to support. Somewhere that will stock peoples' self released records, zines comics etc.

city discs carry independent releases, they put them amonst the regular stock rather than in their own little section.
not sure about zines etc, but they may be open to the concept. They seem a pleasant bunch!!

Captain A, are you around Donegal like meself? I'm in Inishowen. Windy and wet.

BTW it looks even though the tributes to Road were many, there is little appetite to save it and purely because the model isn't viable. We all recognise that. The other shops don't seem to have radically different models though...being 'round the corner' doesn't stop anyone who wants to buy a record.

I like this idea, or on a similar vein a singles club where you subscribe and receive something nice in the post every month/fortnight.

rough trade in London do this on line.
you pay a monthly fee of around 50 sterling a month.
in return they send you their 3 or 4 records/cds of the month.

the type of buyer they target thou are professionals who have no time to pick and choose their music as they are too busy with work.

also your albums each month are at the mercy of the shops selection - however they do have good taste there so i doubt you would get too many turkeys

Absolutely support the remaining ones, it's just that ROAD were my favourite.

How are the remaining ones surviving if ROAD couldn't. Anyone?

city discs/spindizzy etc. stock alot of techno/dubstep/dnb/electronica type stuff. i would imagine the vinyl culture is alot stronger in these genres than in indie music (obviously road covered these too, but to a small extent)- people will come back week after week to get the latest releases, much less likely to happen with CDs/vinyl indie.

having said that, i would imagine they're also feeling the pinch big time...

Well i'm hoping to go to college in Dublin next year (if i start putting my ass into gear) and if a co-op were setup i'd be willing to donate a significant amount of my time for little or no money just to see the thing get off the ground and to sustain it.

I think it's a great idea and there's enough people here to put there heads together and getting something serious and real on the go if the right approach is taken.

But...the right approach being....?

A bunch of us set up a collective practice space in Dublin 7, it's working really well. We've got a huge space (a lot of which we don't really use) with our own equipment, we come and go when we want, we can do whatever we want. The rent is payed every 6 months by 15-20 people (we've done a couple of benefit gigs in the past, we don't really need to now), it seemed far too expensive at the start but now seems insanely cheap. We use a myspace page to book practice sessions, every band involved seems to get as many sessions for as long as they want.
For me it's brilliant cus I get to use my own amp and don't have to transport a load of heavy shit to some shithole with wankers working in it. A few meetings every 6 months sorts most things out (there's a couple of people that do a lot more work than anyone else, but, having been involved in a few different collectives in the past, doesn't surprise me.... I'm one of the lazy ones)+ we all know each other.

This sort of thing is totally worthwhile, controling your own space with your friends is amazing, a bit daunting at the start but it gets easier.

I'd love to see an independant gig space... I suppose it would be a bit more complicated than a practice space, insurance and that..

But anyway- .|..|

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back