Idea for saving ROAD Records (1 Viewer)

Divil A Bit

OK here it is. About 400 or more (incredible number) of thumped folk are aware of the impending closure of Road. All are losing a place to buy and find new bands, Irish bands are losing a dedicated outlet to sell their stuff, and there's just a general malaise around the idea that such a perfect little place has to close. (Also, the HWCH people have access to 640 bands who applied to them last year).

Well why not buy shares in it? We have already been forced to own Anglo Irish, I'd much prefer to put money into Road.

If someone can do the maths ie. how much it needs to stay afloat for the next 6 months, then perhaps they could start a shares fund to achieve the amount.
Would you be prepared to invest euro 100-200 each to keep it afloat? You probably wouldn't get it back for awhile but you would be forever happy that you did such a good thing.
A plan could be hatched to save Dave and Julie's jobs and the shop's future security with the 'shareholders'.

There could be a nice discount for 'shareholders' which eventually gives them back the investment amount in time. A benefit night would raise a good amount too.

If Dave and Julie couldn't see that working then could it be saved on a co-operative basis? 400 members.

Don't bite me it's just a thought!

not sure about shares, but maybe a subscription scheme. you direct debit 20 a month to them, and it builds up as store credit, so each time you use it towards your purchases. dunno.

i dunno that much could be done to save the store, i'd say the headaches involved are just too much to handle, and they deserve a break from it!

had the same idea meself, i.e. form a club/co-op/trust/whatever a legal or accounting person recommends is bets in this scenario

i, for one, am a great believer in public ownership of important things so am willing to put my money where my mouth is

obviously transparency would be important, in that accounts, etc would be accessible by all

if they had to move premises then perhaps tripod/whelans/tbmc might have a wee room spare they could rent out cheaply? The goodwill alone would be worth it

2 things: I reckon after struggling for quite a while, Road folks may want a break from the whole thing for a bit. Dave seems pretty set on their decision to close, and that's to be respected. Plus, part of the reason for starting your own business is to have control, which obviously you wouldn't have in a co-op situation.

On the other hand, a co-op is a nice idea. Not necessarily just a shop, but what else could it sell/manage? What would be the benefits to the members?

not sure about shares, but maybe a subscription scheme. you direct debit 20 a month to them, and it builds up as store credit, so each time you use it towards your purchases. dunno.

i dunno that much could be done to save the store, i'd say the headaches involved are just too much to handle, and they deserve a break from it!

ARE YOU INSANE??

Standing order sure but DIRECT DEBIT DON'T BE MAD

i'm kidding by the way.

I imagine Dave/Julie have probably had enough alright, especially with a new baby to manage. As Old mentions, a co-operative would possibly be the best bet. I have been banging on for years about a co-operative space which starts off with a certain memorandum, evolves naturally thru time, and doesn't try to grow too quickly.

Ideas can include a space for a record store, a merch space, a coffee/deli shop, a rehearsal room, a gig space, an office to include use of computers/internet by members.

In every European city I know, there are independent spaces such as the above. Half of which have been donated by local council and govt boroughs, such as Fort Prerestina in Rome.

Bands in Dublin cannot even put up an A4 poster without someone taking a piece of the action (behing glass covers- I hate that). The Corporation have banned street postering. It costs a fortune to put up proper posters...we're talking a piece of paper here FFS. In Derry, the city centre is lit up with colorful flypostering and bigguns they are too. It really gives a sense of the people 'decorating' their own city.

Where's the Anarchists when you need 'em?

isn't this a similar idea to seomra spraoi?

true....

I like Divil A Bit's thinking...could this maybe be more of a record store co-op idea rather than trying to be everything to all men (and women) as they say, and overstepping what Seomra Spraoi does.

Would it really be possible to find a decent (it doesn't have to be huge) space in the city centre-ish to rent, with enough room for housing records, with the rent paid by the members of the co-op; run by volunteers from the co-op; with all profits etc being ploughed back into the co-op and its endeavours (such as putting on gigs in the space, etc)?

If it was possible, I would love to be part of it. I'm sure that there are lots of people on here who could donate time/money/brainstorming towards getting this off the ground.

It would need to be a serious thing though - 'no timewasters need apply' ;) - especially if you're dealing with money/labels/paying rent/etc.
But it might be something to seriously consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back