I want to do some baking today... (1 Viewer)

roxy said:
Anyone got any quick and handy biscuity type ideas?

have you tried them new jacobs oat crumbles? magnificent. if anyone can provide you with a recipe for something like that it'd be great. its a pity we cant download food from the web.

So anyway I just said I'd throw together a couple of scones coz I didn't have time to get into it really. But I ended up chucking in a loads of crap - flaked almonds, sultanas, chopped up Cadbury's Fudge and Dairy Milk Bubbly...they're just out of the oven and fairly yum.

What's folks favourite scone variations? I'm partial to berries in scones. White choc chips and blueberries, that'd be an ideal scone.....

Jane makes a mean cookie.

I don't bake, because if I did, I'd eat the results.

roxy said:
I'm partial to berries in scones.
me too. avoca do a nice mixed fruit scone with large sour purple lumps of fruit. lashings of butter and a nice coffee = contentment. maybe the purple things are blackberries...? the only thing i know how to bake is banana bread but if you throw in a few blackberries the effect is similar to the scones. we get lots of blackberries in our garden. Mmmm.

neither biscuit nor scone, but absolute deliciousness... i just made apple crumble for the first time in ages.

5-6 cooking apples (one tesco value bag) peeled, cored, diced
125g flour (white or brown)
125g porridge oats
150g soft brown sugar
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
cinnamon (optional!)

1. preheat oven to 180 C
  2. put the apples into a big pot, add a few tbsp of water, put the lid on, and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes (soften, not fully cook!)
  3. meanwhile, mix the oats, flour and 75g sugar together
  4. add oil to the dry ingredients, mixing it in bit by bit until it forms crumbly clumps but isn't oily to touch
  5. mix the cooked apples with the other 75g sugar, and pour into a greased baking/cake dish
  6. sprinkle cinnamon over the apples
  7. spread the crumble mix over the top
  8. cook for 25-30 minutes, and serve with (soy/dairy) cream or ice cream
n.b. maybe stating the obvious, but make sure the apples are cooked or they'll cause Much Much Pain.

most recipes don't use porridge or precook the apples, but i made this a lot last summer for a certain weekly vegan cafe thing and i figured out that i like it best like this. likewise, cinnamon is only in it because i love it, and the oil is easier than margarine and tastes fine.

must make cookies next! i don't really like cakey things and my intrepid sidekick, mr. cookiemonster, is much better at them anyway, but i worry about liking stewed fruit/premature old age, etc etc.

neither biscuit nor scone, but absolute deliciousness... i just made apple crumble for the first time in ages.

5-6 cooking apples (one tesco value bag) peeled, cored, diced
125g flour (white or brown)
125g porridge oats
150g soft brown sugar
3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
cinnamon (optional!)
  1. preheat oven to 180 C
  2. put the apples into a big pot, add a few tbsp of water, put the lid on, and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes (soften, not fully cook!)
  3. meanwhile, mix the oats, flour and 75g sugar together
  4. add oil to the dry ingredients, mixing it in bit by bit until it forms crumbly clumps but isn't oily to touch
  5. mix the cooked apples with the other 75g sugar, and pour into a greased baking/cake dish
  6. sprinkle cinnamon over the apples
  7. spread the crumble mix over the top
  8. cook for 25-30 minutes, and serve with (soy/dairy) cream or ice cream
n.b. maybe stating the obvious, but make sure the apples are cooked or they'll cause Much Much Pain.

most recipes don't use porridge or precook the apples, but i made this a lot last summer for a certain weekly vegan cafe thing and i figured out that i like it best like this. likewise, cinnamon is only in it because i love it, and the oil is easier than margarine and tastes fine.

must make cookies next! i don't really like cakey things and my intrepid sidekick, mr. cookiemonster, is much better at them anyway, but i worry about liking stewed fruit/premature old age, etc etc.

im going to have a go at this apple crumble today. how do you reckon a few blackberries would taste? theres some in the garden but maybe not enough for a whole pie. maybe i'll stick to one type of fruit for the moment....

ive successfully acomplished the baking of this apple crumble! tasty! Im eating some now with cream and a nice cup of coffee... i think i may have put far too much sugar in though, im expecting diabetes within the hour. i mixed a handful of blackberries into the crumble bit and it works a treat. while i was down the garden picking the berries i stepped on a rat and it squealed like a baby :eek:

Jane makes a mean cookie.

I don't bake, because if I did, I'd eat the results.

Why thank you! I still owe you a batch of cookies of your choice. And for this sort of flattering carry-on, there may be double.

I only bake when there's a reason or an occasion, and I still end up eating waaaay too much during and after. In fact, it's kind of gross how many cookies get 'tested'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back