I thought the record industry was on its knees? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 2
Yeah ok..thats correct.Is that list not an indicator of what records are selling though?

Why arent any of the great indie acts featured in it?

Obviously,I'm looking to get my name into that list.But theres plenty of acts now shifting tunes and filling rooms...whats the barrier to getting in the top 50?Surely that is where we need to be...if we wanna get fans.

I'm not referring to those artists who desire niche market appeal..but the ones like myself who wanna get on the telly and shit.
I cant be alone in this respect surely..

Why arent any of the great indie acts featured in it?

Man, the day you find yourself on a list similar to that one, for any reason whatsoever, start to seriously worry because you have undoubtedly become a tasteless asshole who peddles shit and calls it music.
To answer your question, because they're "great indie acts" who don't appeal to thirteen year old girls.
Christ on a fucking horse.

Man, the day you find yourself on a list similar to that one, for any reason whatsoever, start to seriously worry because you have undoubtedly become a tasteless asshole who peddles shit and calls it music.
To answer your question, because they're "great indie acts" who don't appeal to thirteen year old girls.
Christ on a fucking horse.

Oh god.I would hate to become one of them.

Or a snob.

Gaz man, you know the answer to this, it's not about the music, in some respect, most of that music is good enough to be sold, it's about the push behind the music.

Labels learned long ago that being a good live band is not a huge indicator of how good your songs are or in fact an indication of how popular you could be outside of your scene.

Put it another way, I got into the Take Back Sunday gig, as a guest, yesterday. In the venue, for that vaguely successful band there were at least 10 people from the local Warners office, at least. Those folks had been pushing "meet and greets," "in stores," "acoustic sessions" and radio bits and bobs, for 36 of the 48 hours the band was on the ground. They'd also been prep'ing radio and retailers for weeks.

Tickets were 28 euro and the place was pretty jammed. There was a queue for merch at the end. No beer was being sold.

You get on that list because a label invests money and resources to get you on that list. It's a goal. None of that is just people liking a tune. Indie artists cannot compete... people that think they can don't know what they're talking about. Not that it NEVER happens, but when it does it's completely random luck and not as a result of any special song or talent.

Of course it doesn't help, here, that the local indie "industry" pushes a lot of niche stuff with no real potential... that is frustrating.

What do you mean by this?

To be explicitly clear, the local "indie" industry people like IMRO and FMC and Breaking Tunes, put a big push behind a LOT of stuff which is niche. That doesn't mean I don't like it, mind, but just that it's not hugely commercial, and won't really do much to help the "industry".

It's a pet peeve of mine.

I hope that clears up what meant. :)

Ireland doesn't really have a music industry, not in any sense that matters. Almost all of the hits, heavy rotation songs on radio, stuff that sells to more than a few hundred people is put out by the major labels, and those Irish acts that do well in Ireland often are signed to those labels.

Excepting bands like Republic Of Loose and a few others, it seems largely impossible to get real radio play (as in played regularly, on a popular pop station, and not at odd times of the evening etc.) in this country without being involved with the majors in some capacity. So any of the independent music that might appeal to a mass Irish audience (still not all that many people in the grand scheme of things) tends to reach a certain point and then founder unless they get plugged into that bigger international system, even then success isn't guaranteed, just a tad more likely. Alongside radio there's the issue of distribution, and print and store promotion which is often beyond the means of an independent act in any but the most piecemeal fashion.

Saying that though, I don't have the ambition Gary does, so the status quo, while mildly irritating to me, doesn't prevent me from playing a few gigs, shifting a few records, and making some beer money while, hopefully, entertaining a few people and having a lark. I've met tonnes of cool people through playing music, all over Ireland and abroad.

There is also the road Delorentos took. I could be wrong but i believe they have never had a record deal and have got where they are gigging a ridiculous amount and building up a fanbase around the country. When they release stuff it gets played on all the stations at all times. Ive heard my daughter singing their songs she has heard all over Spin Fm. I think when you start drawing a big crowd on your own merit people in the industry such as promoters and radio stations will have to listen up coz they want a slice of the pie.
The jump then from being well known in Ireland to international i think is more luck or selling your soul.

There is also the road Delorentos took. I could be wrong but i believe they have never had a record deal and have got where they are gigging a ridiculous amount and building up a fanbase around the country.

out of curiousity where have they got to?

I'm not being smart here, I'm genuinely curious. I haven't heard anything from them in a long while and don't recall seeing them on the lineup for any of the festivals this year. I think they're a great band but it seemed to me they hit a point they weren't going to get past without a serious injection of lids from somewhere. Gigging in poxy little venues is grand and all when you're young and enthusiastic, but to do it to earn a crust for the rest of your life, aslan-styley, seems quite hellish.

AFAIK the charts here aren't calculated by the number of units sold in a given week but rather by the number of units sold in a sample of shops around the country in that given week, or at least that's how I was told it worked about 4 years ago and the stores change every week, it may have changed since. But the crux of it is that if you aren't being stocked in every shop in the country then you're at a massive disadvantage, and if you're talking about a week where they're not sampling from a shop that an indie act would tend to do well in like Tower, Rage, Freebird or Plugged down in Cork then you're doubly disadvantaged. Plus, a lot of people into that sort of thing buy records at gigs now as they know the band makes the most money that way, and they don't count towards charting either.

What you need to do is get down to Top Twenty in Naas or similar and tell them that you've got a record called "You have the right to remain retarded" and see if they'll take it, actually, I really should do that with mine as I'm local to the area.

Oh on a related note, I'm going to Galway on Wednesday to see Rollins, are there any shops left open there that will still take crappy indie bands' crappy indie records on consignment?

New Delorentos album out very soon.
What you describe about the aslan thing all depends how you look at it. Easy to seem bad because they are obviously rubbish but then look at someone like pat McManus ( mamas boys) still playing holes all over the country but also popping over to Europe every now and then. I call that the life, probably near 50, still with an audience, making music constantly and playing it.

Yep they have been quiet alright. My point was they did get to a level a few years back on their own merit. They were playing all the festivals and on day time radio off their own bat. Its the leap after that which is hard i reckon.

Oh on a related note, I'm going to Galway on Wednesday to see Rollins, are there any shops left open there that will still take crappy indie bands' crappy indie records on consignment?

Somebody else could PM you the number/email of the lad who does the music in The Bell, Book & Candle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back