I think I'm coming round to the stratocaster (1 Viewer)

Got this in a trade yesterday.
It’s a squire standard body with squire affinity neck. Alnico pups in her which sound pretty good. Going to refinish the neck, and needs a switch, but mightnt do too much otherwiseView attachment 17408
Steel trem block essential upgrade

I don't like those affinity necks too narrow at the nut

Pleasant surprise when I opened it up today - switch is not one of the shitty square ones I expected, pups are definitely Alnico, pots are full-size, and they’ve gone to the trouble to install a treble bleed. Also routed for Humbuckers
IMG_5881.jpeg

Pleasant surprise when I opened it up today - switch is not one of the shitty square ones I expected, pups are definitely Alnico, pots are full-size, and they’ve gone to the trouble to install a treble bleed. Also routed for Humbuckers
View attachment 17411
Actually - I’ve just realised that it’s not a treble bleed in the normal sense - @moose - can I borrow your wisdom here? Cap is across the bridge terminal on the switch

Actually - I’ve just realised that it’s not a treble bleed in the normal sense - @moose - can I borrow your wisdom here? Cap is across the bridge terminal on the switch

Is it bridge to ground? Possibly just there to take the edge off that pickup? There's no tone on the bridge usually and they can be bright as fuck.

Is it bridge to ground? Possibly just there to take the edge off that pickup? There's no tone on the bridge usually and they can be bright as fuck.

might - I don't think its grounded though - it seems to be in series/in line with the pickup - which would act as a low cut. I'll investigate further and might try bypassing it.

Interestingly this is wired stock with a tone control for the bridge/middle and one for the neck...

pickups are relatively hot for a strat - 6.3k for the bridge - I was mildly/pleasantly suprised how loud they were.

Is the switch 3 or 5 way? Might be something to do with humbucker mode if it's 5 way.

Other possibility is the broadcaster or esquire style like below:

Upon further investigation this afternoon - it’s just before the tap for the tone control, so basically it’s a cap in series with the tone pot - meaning the more high end is rolled off the bridge than the middle on their shared tone pot.

So @moose was correct as always. :)

Guitar now has
- new bone nut
- some Fret work
- shimmed and realigned the neck
- new caps, and tweaked tone circuit
- series/parallel switch

some set up left to do but not a bad afternoons work

Upon further investigation this afternoon - it’s just before the tap for the tone control, so basically it’s a cap in series with the tone pot - meaning the more high end is rolled off the bridge than the middle on their shared tone pot.

So @moose was correct as always. :)

Guitar now has
- new bone nut
- some Fret work
- shimmed and realigned the neck
- new caps, and tweaked tone circuit
- series/parallel switch

some set up left to do but not a bad afternoons work

Haha. I just have a lot of experience is all.

Finished my tweaking,

I refinished the neck, and have new steel saddles and trem block installed. Also a replacement back cover.

My annoyance that the new tremolo/bridge wouldn’t fit was followed by the delight when I realised I the block would fit on the old one… then confusion reigned as I tried to figure out how to set up a 2point trem.

Half way through set up - Intonation needs tweaking - but playing and sounding good. For once the wiring mods have yielded very usable extra tones with this particular guitar/pickups/wiring.

IMG_6047.jpeg IMG_6048.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back