I saw a thing in the garden (3 Viewers)

I sat in the garden with a beer and this amazing app yesterday. Our house is surrounded by trees so there's a constant cacophony going on. You hit the mic and watch as it identifies the sound patterns, isolates each one and identifies each bird.
Also noted that a blue tit is nesting in a tiny gap behind our electricity meter box. A guy came out to replace it last week, saw how ancient it was and gave up, leaving it hanging out if the wall slightly. Hopefully the young will have hatched by the time he comes back to fix it.

My wife spotted this in the garden yesterday. Wren's nest.

View attachment 17046
when they hatch edit - I meant fledge it might be pandemonium.
Last summer I had baby wrens all over the shop when they fledged, i was gathering them up out of the house, hooshing them into the garden. They're adorable eejits. I was terrified that the local cat would get them.

Also noted that a blue tit is nesting in a tiny gap behind our electricity meter box. A guy came out to replace it last week, saw how ancient it was and gave up, leaving it hanging out if the wall slightly. Hopefully the young will have hatched by the time he comes back to fix it.

That's a great app. It picked up the blackbirds outside from in the house.

I sat in the garden with a beer and this amazing app yesterday. Our house is surrounded by trees so there's a constant cacophony going on. You hit the mic and watch as it identifies the sound patterns, isolates each one and identifies each bird.

Thanks to this app, I've been able to identify a bird known as a "Little Egret". It has wispy head feathers, which makes it look like a balding old punk struggling to maintain a mohawk, which I guess is why it's here.

Never seen it before.

Just did a wee spin on the bike.

My entire neighbourhood should be dragged out and slapped a few times for their obliviousness to no-mow-may. 1 house over two townlands.

The Whitethroats have arrived and are chatting away. I like the chatter they carry on with.
iu

The peregrines aren't nesting in their usual spot. People have seen them, but I'm not sure where they're nesting this year. There's a pair of Ravens in there now, and the kids have already fledged. They're staggering about the place demanding to be fed, and eyeing up the passers by.

Still haven't seen a lizard yet, even despite the sun out all weekend.
Most of the rest boys are flat out down the cliffs.

The swallows that nested in one of outhouses last year have nested at the other end of the courtyard this year, and seem shouty enough so I suspect they have laid already but I haven't looked in yet. Apparently that's illegal though...

No sign of the wrens this year, they were in a hole in the wall last year.

The starlings are back of course. When they arrive back to feed the babies they stand outside the nest and have a bit of a shout, and the kids go nuts.
However, if you stand there clearly looking at them the parent bird wont go into the nest, it'll just keep shouting. I tested how long this would go on for, and stopped looking after about 3 minutes when things might have descended into violence.

The heron that lives here made two kills within five minutes. I've spent hours watching herons, over many years in many different places. I think I've only seen one catch and kill once before now*. Now I've seen it thrice in two days. Maybe because the frogs are about and innocent.

Seal feeding time at Dublin Zoo excepted.

no mow may was good for the daisies and skutchgrass in our lawn, but also threw this up; a twayblade. it's a common orchid, but first time i'd seen one in our garden.

PXL_20230531_145857674.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back