I ask for counsel from the nerds of Thumped (1 Viewer)

What the fuck is this search result on Google that's a map but also not a usable fucking map?
It drives me absolutely crackers

Cos you see a map, then you click on the fucking map. And then you find out it's not a fucking map.
1660778129310.png

I'm trying to streamline my backups and storage setup here over the next few weeks.

At present I've got google drive mirrored to one of my laptops so In my head this data is backed up at least at home and on someone elses data farm.

I want to spend as little money as humanly possible.

I own this storage.

2 hard drives above 200gb - Everything i need to backup is closer to 150gb really so own the storage already.
1 older HD that is 1tb.

Now that we have the actual internet at home i have posh new router that has both USB and the usual extra network ports.

What i want:

to use those two 200gb drives to backup and be available to the home network. I hear the word NAS - is there is such thing as an yoke that i can plug these two drives into a port on the router seeing its on all the time anyways?

If not what should i do.

What i want:

to use those two 200gb drives to backup and be available to the home network. I hear the word NAS - is there is such thing as an yoke that i can plug these two drives into a port on the router seeing its on all the time anyways?

I can't fully answer your question
But I do think this is possible. I have a NAS and though i only use it for Plex, i am pretty sure they have these capabilities
They are not cheap though. Or the one I got wasn't.

Apols for partial answer.

I have a small Asus computer (note book? is that you call it?) cost 260 Euro.
apart a load of zines (many dozens) I downloaded from a friend there is feck all on the hard drive. a small amount of photos and 2 hours worth of music. and no apps other than google and what came with it.

anyway, there is so little memory on this thing that I can't download Windows 11!
I am not really bothered at the moment but it made me laugh
that is all.

I have a small Asus computer (note book? is that you call it?) cost 260 Euro.
apart a load of zines (many dozens) I downloaded from a friend there is feck all on the hard drive. a small amount of photos and 2 hours worth of music. and no apps other than google and what came with it.

anyway, there is so little memory on this thing that I can't download Windows 11!
I am not really bothered at the moment but it made me laugh
that is all.
if you wanted a small, new OS you ccould try something like Lubuntu or Puppy Linux.

edit: there's probably other distros out there too that might be nicer again, I'm not well versed in the current crop of Linux offerings. In general though you might find it suits an old machine like that yoke.

if you wanted a small, new OS you ccould try something like Lubuntu or Puppy Linux.

edit: there's probably other distros out there too that might be nicer again, I'm not well versed in the current crop of Linux offerings. In general though you might find it suits an old machine like that yoke.
thanks for your thoughtfulness flashback, but really I only use the computer for surfin' the net, so it still does that.

I needed 3 G of memory and there isn't that much - it was almost inevitable. I just thought that was funny and that am so computer illiterate. Whatever is subsistence level to use the internet is all I want to know.

I have no real understanding of what most thumped folks jobs are about.

I bought this computer in hurry a few days after xmas 2020 as I knew another lockdown was due.
It was the only thing the shop had for less than 500. It still works fine and has more than paid its dues.

thanks for your thoughtfulness flashback, but really I only use the computer for surfin' the net, so it still does that.

I needed 3 G of memory and there isn't that much - it was almost inevitable. I just thought that was funny and that am so computer illiterate. Whatever is subsistence level to use the internet is all I want to know.

I have no real understanding of what most thumped folks jobs are about.

I bought this computer in hurry a few days after xmas 2020 as I knew another lockdown was due.
It was the only thing the shop had for less than 500. It still works fine and has more than paid its dues.
you're welcome!
Yeah, sometimes it's nice to just load things onto old hardware and mess with them, especially when they don't owe you anything. I was forced to use Windows there the other day, feels slow and a bit manky but that might be partly because I'm not familiar with it.

Fed Ex has sent me an invoice for a package I received over a year ago

Do I ignore it?

my dell desktop (well, tower) is about 10 years old now; still going strong; but i just checked out prices on new dell systems, and was surprised to see that you still need to spend typically over €800 on them to get more than 8GB ram as standard.

Fed Ex has sent me an invoice for a package I received over a year ago

Do I ignore it?
If you genuinely owe the money, and you have it, I'd pay it. Take the pain once and move on.
I personally don't like storing up trouble for myself.
Are any of us going to live our whole lives without needing a FedEx delivery again?

If it's them playing silly buggers, I'd fight them

If you genuinely owe the money, and you have it, I'd pay it. Take the pain once and move on.
I personally don't like storing up trouble for myself.
Are any of us going to live our whole lives without needing a FedEx delivery again?

If it's them playing silly buggers, I'd fight them
It's weird that they waited a whole year to send it. So I'm even wondering if I've already paid for it.

Also, it's really expensive...but of course it is

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back