How's it going Ed? (1 Viewer)

some good Acorn games

Chuckie Egg - fuckin amazin platform game where you had to run around collecting eggs. When you got far enough a big giant flying chicken chased you around and tried to crush you - fuckin hell!

Cybertron - you just had to walk the little dot people around the screen and shoot other dot people but you had to avoid walking into the sides cos they were dangerous energy fields that killed you! But we used to fool my silly friends who hadn't played it by telling them if they walked into the energy fields it gave them more energy muhhhaaaahahhah thus rendering them dead! So it would be game over for them and my turn again! Yooooo fuckin stroked.

Croaker aka Frogger - amazing just jumping this frog across the road and getting splatted ot going across the river and getting eated by sharks.

Swoop - basically just a variation on the old SpaceInvader thing. good shit though. Actually if you are bored and fancy a game of space invaders go to the TSUA site and they have a game you can play http://www.thirtyseconds.net , not surprisingly it's under the heading "game" on their main page.

BBC Micro had one of the most amazing games ever Last Ninja and also LastNinja 2. Jesus that was a sweet game. You got to go in places like Central Park and stuff. Sweet as. Plus you got weapons like ninja stars and all that jazz. Apparently they are making a Last Ninja 4 now for PC fuckin right!

Predator on the BBC Micro was the first game with parallel scrolling, well that's what my freind Matthes told me when we were 10.

Yie-Ar Kung Fu - that was a fuckin sweet game. KungFu Master as well, that was great on arcade.

Moving on a few years Sega was producing some good games, not many though because Nintendo was always better (see Rollergames for the NES to see what I mean, sweetness). Let's face it the MasterSystem was shite and Megadrive had a few good games (Streets of Rage, Desert Strike) but Nintendo was always rocking better games - mario was ten times better than Sonic.

So anyway, yeah Sega had some decent arcade games, Shinobi and Shadow Dancer in particular. Shadow Dancer ruled because you could jump into the background to fight some baddies and you could set the dog on toughies, but I always felt sad if the dog got killed.

What about Final Fight - Haggar was fuckin amazing big brute, but Guy was the best character cos he treminded me of Ryu outta SF2. Haggar reminded me of Zangief except he didn't wrestle bears.

Oh yeah nintendo had DoubleDragon 1 and 2...and 3 (everyone says 3 is shit but i loved it). Plus they had castlevania which was brilliant, one of the only medieval crappy sword type games I ever liked. You should hear the opening intro on the Statecraft (japanese edgemetal type band) CD it sounds exactly like some japanese game intro like Castlevania!). Also for bands that have songs that sounds like 1990 nintendo games check out the instrumental track near the end of the MorbidAngel "domination" ("dreaming" I think the track is)album, brill. Also DepecheMode's Sweetest Perfection (or maybe it's Halo) off the Violator album has a break part that sounds like the Castlevania music.

Good gaming Mags. Well i started getting into computer games aroung 1989 but didn't buy mags till 1991 when I started buying Mean Machines - great reviews section, good tips, hilarious letters and Q&A section too. Julian "Jaz" Rignal and Radion Automatic, what zany guys they were. C&VG was good but it covered crap like AtariST and Amiga which weren't fuckin hardcore enough for me, anything with a keyboard is crap for playing games I reckon, even if it does have a joystick too! The letters section of C&VG was so funny it alone was enough to mkae you buy the mag - YOB's letter section was just him ripping the shit out of dorky kids asking stupid questions about "when is the new streetfighter coming out?" and Yob would just say shit like "go and fuckin kill yourself you loser who gives a fuck about your shitty computer games you spotty twat?" Ok so he didn't really curse but he was very mean.

This is one of the best threads .KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!!!

Old school

The Dragon 32 and Acorn must have been about the same time, cause we had Frogger and Chuckie Egg and stuff like that for the Dragon. And Cashman, which was hilarious. And Donkey Kong was amazing.
Had a BBC Micro for a while after that, it was funny, Yie Ar Kung Fu was amazing, and the last ninja was funny, we had Commando on it too which ruled.
Haggar from Final Fight was brilliant, I loved that game in the arcade. Of course, everyone knows that Golden Axe is the best arcade game ever made, closely followed by any Double Dragon game, the main reason I like DOuble Dragon is that you could beat the crap out of each other for a laugh in Double Dragon 2.
As for magazines, who needs them, Gamesmaster was all you needed, just watch that every week. Dominic Diamond was funny, but obviously not as funny as Patrick Moore.
"Yes young man!"
They should start making Gamesmaster again. Imagine presenting that show, that would be an amazing job. Whos up for making a computer games show? I call Gamesmaster!

THIS IS ABOUT PIRATES!

Thank you. I dont know what the bejaysus is going on here anymore. and that person with an acorn....... thats not something to be proud of.

ARRRRRR. AYE. Grog.

Re: beat that ye say?

The original I had was a shit Amstrad word p[rocessor that had 4 shit games on a disc...Postman...Battleships...some other crap...

Originally posted by xConorx
No fuckin problem!
I have an Acorn Electron. See how oldschool I am!!!
It had a similar operating system to BBC Micro ie it was fuckin crap. I am starting a new post about oldschool computer games.

i was a spectrum kid meself - ye olde rubber keyboard. wasted years of me life on horace and the spiders, jetpac, football manager, match day, player of the year, chuckie egg 2, gauntlet, outrun, the hobbit, valhalla, halls of the things, manic miner, psst, elite, ghost busters...
loadsa emulators out there for this stuff.

the only console i ever had was an atari and a commodore 64 GAMES SYSTEM (essentially a c64 without a tape deck - boo)

Up-down-left-right-a-start-together

THIS IS ABOUT PIRATES

Originally posted by Phil
So who remembers the match the pirate head copy protection on Monkey Island and the Mix 'n' Mojo for Monkey Island 2 and who's a CD version lamewad?

i had the mix n match head thing alright - 'cept it was traced onto grease proof paper by the mate that gave me a lend of the game. nightmare, really fuckin fiddly, but worth it of course. :p

haha, my version is an edited thing where you always get it right no matter what you write. I found a website that has ALL the different versions of Monkey 1/2, Loom, etc.

And im not going to tell it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back