How much are sound engineers charging these days? (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter grs
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
Totally depends on what you want to do.
For starters is it for Live work or for Recording?...etc...etc....etc..

I'm sure anyone here can recommend you some people / rates if they know what it is you are trying to price...

The question is - what's a sound engineer? :)

Seriously though, there's a huge range of rates, from guys in their bedrooms doing it for a few cans to dudes that work with 'real' bands and charge 4-500 a day.

You can pay pretty much whatever you like, and more or less get what you pay for.

People also work out rates for a project instead of charging a daily rate.

I would expect that you'd get a house engineer in a good studio for about 200 a day though.

I was thinking for a short simple studio job. Its for a job I've been asked to do.

not sure yet. I haven't engineered for anyone in several yaers and am just trying to find out what the going rate is.

I too well!!
That and having to be nice to people is why I havn't done engineering in ages.

What about live gigs? I get the feeling I've been under paid.
also, what about living expenses when on tour? I get f all.

Promoters and bands don't seem to realise the prep work that goes into setting up for a gig. You spend hours setup the PA, desk, mics, cable etc, the band is late for the sound check - if they show at all! - and then they expect perfection, once they've done there hour or two of work they fuck off. Thens theres the packing everything away.

At least with a studio gig you can hold the master tapes/final mix etc for ransom if they don't pay.

to be realistic about it, minimum wage is 8.65 per hour.

if you spend 2000 per year on equipment, thats about 40 per week, or based on a 39 hour week, thats about a euro an hour to cover equipment.

transport could easily be around 5000 per year, petrol, tax servicing and upkeep. so thats about 2.50 per hour.

so for a sound engineer to survive as a sound engineer, it takes at least 12 euro per hour.

What about live gigs? I get the feeling I've been under paid.
also, what about living expenses when on tour? I get f all.

I do a tour every October and November where I get a fancy hotel room every night. There's a traveling caterer too so I only have to pay for beer and presents. I only get 125 euro a gig though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back