how do i stop skype sneakiness? (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
earlier on today, i updated skype on my mac to the latest version (5.7). the application restarted, and when it did, i saw that there were a lot of contacts that had mysteriously had their entries doubled, often with slight variations. i had no idea why.

it took me a while to figure out that the doubled versions were actually coming from the contact list on my phone. basically, my list of skype contacts and my list of phone contacts had been mashed together into one giant, confusing mess of a super-list of contacts.

i have skype installed as an app on my phone (iphone 4), so i thought that this must be the culprit. so, i thought that i could fix this by disallowing skype from having access to my contacts on my phone.

however, as far as i can see, there is nothing in the skype app on the iphone which explicitly allows or disallows it from having access to the phone's contacts. seems they just grabbed it all without asking (possibly like how path did, a few months ago).

the weird thing is that the list of contacts in the skype app on the phone still just lists the regular old skype contacts, without adding the phone ones.

so, does anyone have any idea how to get the desktop version of skype to 'forget' all the extra contacts?

(in other news, giant corporations have hoovered up all my personal information, and i only get to find out as a result of their fuckups. welcome to the future, i suppose.)

Nothing nefarious going on here. You have your iPhone contacts synced with the Address Book.app on OS X. Skype is showing you those contacts.

If you want to hide them, de-select the "Show Address Book contacts" which they've enabled by default.

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-12%20at%2019.24.31.png

Nothing nefarious going on here. You have your iPhone contacts synced with the Address Book.app on OS X. Skype is showing you those contacts.

If you want to hide them, de-select the "Show Address Book contacts" which they've enabled by default.

Screen%20Shot%202012-04-12%20at%2019.24.31.png

i see. mystery solved.

aaaaaand addressbook.app is updated when i sync the phone with itunes, i suppose? (i've never even opened the address book app until today.)

so this is actually apple sneakiness, more or less?

thanks for the info.

aaaaaand addressbook.app is updated when i sync the phone with itunes, i suppose? (i've never even opened the address book app until today.)

so this is actually apple sneakiness, more or less?

thanks for the info.

Not 100% sure if it's the iTunes sync that's doing the contacts sync (I've just checked mine & I don't them set to sync in iTunes), however, all my contacts are synced using the new iCloud service. I've iCloud syncing setup in OS X, I'm guessing it's here that it's getting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back