HOTPRESS TOP 100 IRISH ALBUMS (2 Viewers)

eh, decal did make it in.just barely though. 404 Not Found was #100. rednecks had 36strings and 'i am 'brazil' in there. waiting room made it in, which is cool. 'astral weeks' is a deserved #1.and the good van morrison records (eg veedon fleece) were the ones that made it in. Loveless, Rum Sodomy and the Lash were in the top 10 you cant argue with that and isn't anything got a look in aswell. I'm no champion of hotpress but i thought the poll was surprisingly decent in its outcome. Shame Joan of Arse 'Lost at Sea' wasn't there though.

hermie said:
'astral weeks' is a deserved #1.
is it just me, or does this album (and/or 'pet sounds' by the beach boys) seem to be the default-option-number-1 on every single one of these lists ever?

i don't think i've ever listened to the whole of astral weeks in one go. i've always thought it was... mediocre. i can't see what the fuss is about.

and on a completely different note... lists are the last refuge of the irrelevant, so this will hopefully be the first step in hotpress limping into well-deserved dadrock obscurity and/or bankruptcy. of course, we could always commission al-quaeda to fly a 747 into trinity street to speed the process up.

tom. said:
lists are the last refuge of the irrelevant, so this will hopefully be the first step in hotpress limping into well-deserved dadrock obscurity and/or bankruptcy. of course, we could always commission al-quaeda to fly a 747 into trinity street to speed the process up.
But Q magazine is always bleedin lists and they're doing well aren't they?

Astral Weeks is an amazing album.listen to it again, you'll like it. i don't know anyone (with the exception of one 'i hate anything that everyone else likes' guy) who doesn't like it.all my friends, those into hardcore or electronica or soul/funk/jazz or whatever all love it.the only other albums that get that kind of universal revery are pet sounds or beatles records and rightfully so coz nothing will ever sound like them again, they're timeless.the beach boys or pet sounds don't have lyrics like astral weeks though.it's so refreshing to see that ahead of U2, Thin Lizzy, Sinead O'Connor et al.i've rambled for long enough

tom. said:
is it just me, or does this album (and/or 'pet sounds' by the beach boys) seem to be the default-option-number-1 on every single one of these lists ever?

i don't think i've ever listened to the whole of astral weeks in one go. i've always thought it was... mediocre. i can't see what the fuss is about.

and on a completely different note... lists are the last refuge of the irrelevant, so this will hopefully be the first step in hotpress limping into well-deserved dadrock obscurity and/or bankruptcy. of course, we could always commission al-quaeda to fly a 747 into trinity street to speed the process up.

loveless by mbv got in at 4 i think. i really have a problem with people going on about this being the 'great lost irish album'. they left ireland to pursue their career, firstly to germany then to england. so why do we keep trying to claim them as their own?

tom. said:

Tom - what are the top 5 things you hate about lists. No particular order.

hermie said:
Astral Weeks is an amazing album.listen to it again, you'll like it.
it deserves to be no1 for the fact alone of inspiring that butthole surfers tracks off hairway to steven or whatever - goes... love to love the love that loves the love...yada. deadly

the 1st understones lp is the best irish record ever no sweat

hermie said:
Astral Weeks is an amazing album.listen to it again, you'll like it. i don't know anyone (with the exception of one 'i hate anything that everyone else likes' guy) who doesn't like it.all my friends, those into hardcore or electronica or soul/funk/jazz or whatever all love it.the only other albums that get that kind of universal revery are pet sounds or beatles records and rightfully so coz nothing will ever sound like them again, they're timeless.the beach boys or pet sounds don't have lyrics like astral weeks though.it's so refreshing to see that ahead of U2, Thin Lizzy, Sinead O'Connor et al.i've rambled for long enough
em...

i'm not getting into this.

(suffice to say, i don't agree with you. i don't even agree with the words you're using, like 'timeless'. those words tend to be associated with rock mythology bullshit. but that's just me. right now, my favourite album of all time is the power out by electrelane. it'll probably change tomorrow.)

what i had been trying to get at was:

it seems to me that there is an agreed list of 'proper' 'classic' albums, and astral weeks (and/or pet sounds) has risen to the top by some kind of economic-theory-based mathematical formula, which seems to have nothing to do with how good or bad the album actually is.

like, each album in the 'agreed list of classics' gets 10 points for how cool their drummer is, and 10 for how 'mystical'-looking their cover is, and 10 for how 'classic' their instruments are, or which studio they recorded it in or whatever. and then they tot up all the crazy indicators of 'classic'-ness and whatever is on top gets to officially be the best album of all time in perpetuity throughout the universe.

does anyone else think that's how it works, or am i just mad? i'm genuinely curious.

(oh, aoife d, apparently q magazine sells a lot less than it used to. but... i might be wrong.)

tom. which seems to have nothing to do with how good or bad the album actually is. [/QUOTE said:
its got everything to do with how good or bad it is.i apologise if it sounded like i was trying to shove my opinion down your throat.but do you not think that some of these 'classic album', some being the operative word, might just be considered so because they're good?because shitloads of people no matter what their usual musical preferences are.
i see where you're coming from but it's this 'i'm not getting into it coz that would be just a bit too predictable for a person of my taste' that i object to

Incidentally, I think the best way to judge an album's value, or an artist's for that matter, is its/their influence on other quality music. just a thought for the weekend.

i don't think i've ever listened to the whole of astral weeks in one go
tom. said:
it seems to me that there is an agreed list of 'proper' 'classic' albums ... which seems to have nothing to do with how good or bad the album actually is.
Perhaps if you actually listened to the fucking things and didn't sit in your room making up theories you'd understand why so many people like them :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back