Hopeworld Thread (1 Viewer)

These sort of predictions come and go, but I'm posting it here just in case this does pan out, and I can say 'i was the first to mention it here'

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you burn sustainable kerosene though are you not just gonna keep the old carbon into the air making the planet unbearably hot cycle and all you've really done is killed a few hundred acres of lake life?

If you burn sustainable kerosene though are you not just gonna keep the old carbon into the air making the planet unbearably hot cycle and all you've really done is killed a few hundred acres of lake life?

Yeah - they don’t claim it’s decarbonisation in fairness. I guess it’s probably about on a par in terms of benefits/disadvantages as biomass IF they can scale it. Interesting from a technology perspective

The thing about scaling it though

You techinically are turning air into combustable fuel, which at a passive carbon capture level is sorta cool, but unless it does it faster than a tree in the same place - just use a tree.
Then you've got a combustable fuel that you put into a vehicle that is 20-40% efficient.
An electric car is more like 60/70% efficient so just using the same surface area to make solar would be a better use of space.

In terms of climate crisis anything that informs people that they should buy a 2023/2024 combustion vehicle is really stupid because for the sake of the money they'll want resale value at any societal cost.

So TLDR maybe for aeroplanes however i feel like people at cambridge shouldn't be encouraged to use aerloplanes. they are just gonna be on them ten times a year like.

The thing about scaling it though

You techinically are turning air into combustable fuel, which at a passive carbon capture level is sorta cool, but unless it does it faster than a tree in the same place - just use a tree.
Then you've got a combustable fuel that you put into a vehicle that is 20-40% efficient.
An electric car is more like 60/70% efficient so just using the same surface area to make solar would be a better use of space.

In terms of climate crisis anything that informs people that they should buy a 2023/2024 combustion vehicle is really stupid because for the sake of the money they'll want resale value at any societal cost.

So TLDR maybe for aeroplanes however i feel like people at cambridge shouldn't be encouraged to use aerloplanes. they are just gonna be on them ten times a year like.

To be smart arsed - you can’t plant a tree wtere they are proposing to use these.

But obviously there’s a big question about feasibility, eroi etc.

I thought it was interesting from a tech pov. Also the fact that it’s producing hydrogen. (As well as CO)

is it not like a solar panel, and in a pretty much literal sense? using energy created by a solar panel does not in itself reduce CO2, in the same way that using fuel generated by one of the systems in question does not reduce atmospheric CO2 (given that it absorbs CO2 and then releases it back on consumption).

if you burn say 1kWh of energy using the system above, the immediate net result on atmospheric CO2 is zero.

is it not like a solar panel, and in a pretty much literal sense? using energy created by a solar panel does not in itself reduce CO2, in the same way that using fuel generated by one of the systems in question does not reduce atmospheric CO2 (given that it absorbs CO2 and then releases it back on consumption).

if you burn say 1kWh of energy using the system above, the immediate net result on atmospheric CO2 is zero.

If they had the tech 100% market ready in the morning with a replacement fuel pump at every station in the western world, it'd still be for a propulsion method that is 60-80% heat losses, that requires shipping and pumping and what not and much more complex vehicles just to get a decent fuel return.
In comparison the electrical grid/solar is less heat losses and infrastructure that also has other uses than transport, but in transport is only about 30/40% heat losses.

TLDR it's bad money after bad in efficiencies.

a bit more info, and less spin(ish), on the Cambridge site

personally - I think the materials tech part of this is the most interesting, and while they are focusing on the CO2, the hydrogen could be more attractive in the longer term?

''Tests of the new artificial leaves showed that they can split water into hydrogen and oxygen, or reduce CO2 to syngas. While additional improvements will need to be made before they are ready for commercial applications, the researchers say this development opens whole new avenues in their work.''

EDIT: interestingly the actual paper was published in aug 22, as was the web article linked above. read into that what you will (a new Comms officer in Cambridge??)

"The Food and Drug Administration on Friday approved a powerful treatment for sickle cell disease, a devastating illness that affects more than 100,000 Americans, the majority of whom are Black.

The therapy, called Casgevy, from Vertex Pharmaceuticals and CRISPR Therapeutics, is the first medicine to be approved in the United States that uses the gene-editing tool CRISPR, which won its inventors the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 2020."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back