Hoover on tour. (1 Viewer)

1950's said:
It's an expensive business being in a band and incredibly expensive to tour. I've heard the same thing from so many touring American and European bands that haven't played in Ireland. That it's not worth they're while coming here for 3 or 4 gigs cos they won't make enough money to cover their expenses. Not paying support bands is not on either. Everyone deserves to get paid for a gig.
Give me a load of money all I'll pay everyone. As anyone who's put on a gig knows it's really hard to make back your money. Especially if you've got touring bands that noone knows or wants to see.

Unfortunately alot of the time the support bands lose out because of this, but then again usually touring bands will help them out if they make to where-ever they live.

And 3 or 4 gigs will cover your expenses, as long as you aren't thinking of staying in hotels and eating out while you're here.

Most bands seem to subsidize the Irish part of their tours, cos they usually more fun here than other places where they make loads of money, playing the same type of places as here but without having to worry about paying for ferries etc.

Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about charging extortionate MCD prices into gigs or anything. It's just 6 quid seems to be undervaluing a gig such as this. Personally I'd prefer to pay a couple of quid more into these type of gigs if it meant that more foreign bands of the quality of Hoover were willing to come to Ireland as it made it worth their while monetarily to play here. More money for touring band = more touring bands coming to Ireland.

1950's said:
Hey don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about charging extortionate MCD prices into gigs or anything. It's just 6 quid seems to be undervaluing a gig such as this. Personally I'd prefer to pay a couple of quid more into these type of gigs if it meant that more foreign bands of the quality of Hoover were willing to come to Ireland as it made it worth their while monetarily to play here. More money for touring band = more touring bands coming to Ireland.
so you think if we charged a tenner, people would value it more and pay the tenner?

what band do you play in?

you're seeing it very simplistically. fuck all people in dublin go to shows like this. it wasn't always this way... i've been doing this for a couple of years shy of a decade and it definitely isn't as simple as charging more money and the ensuing "More money for touring band = more touring bands coming to Ireland."

Stephen said:
Give me a load of money all I'll pay everyone. As anyone who's put on a gig knows it's really hard to make back your money. Especially if you've got touring bands that noone knows or wants to see.
If hardly no one or not enough people turn up....just sit out at the door on your own for a while, look up to the dark sky(with your arms outstreached) and wait for that 200 Euro bundle of notes to drop out of the sky!!Has`nt happened yet but....someday!

hag said:
so you think if we charged a tenner, people would value it more and pay the tenner?
Gigs are seriously undervalued in my eyes. I know people who moan about having to pay a tenner into a gig yet have no problem paying 20 quid into a club the following weekend to see some shitty DJ. People are stupid. Lets just charge a flat fee of 30 euro into all future gigs until people realise the value of a good gig...

As for what band I'm in. I'm not telling. na na na na na.
I bet that makes you SOooo mad Hag!

1950's said:
Gigs are seriously undervalued in my eyes. I know people who moan about having to pay a tenner into a gig yet have no problem paying 20 quid into a club the following weekend to see some shitty DJ. People are stupid. Lets just charge a flat fee of 30 euro into all future gigs until people realise the value of a good gig...

As for what band I'm in. I'm not telling. na na na na na.
I bet that makes you SOooo mad Hag!
art is undervalued. welcome to planet earth!!!

it doesn't make me angry, i would have been surprised if you'd said what band you're in. it really just makes you come across a bit lame to be honest.

Ok then. I'm in Giraffe Running.

hag said:
art is undervalued. welcome to planet earth!!!
So if art is undervalued explain someone paying [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$82,500,000 for Van Gogh's[/font]
Portrait of Dr. Gachet.

Winding-up Hag is my new favourite pastime.

1950's said:
Ok then. I'm in Giraffe Running.

So if art is undervalued explain someone paying [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$82,500,000 for Van Gogh's[/font]
Portrait of Dr. Gachet.

Winding-up Hag is my new favourite pastime.
i dunno, becuase some clown was willing to pay that much for it? under-valued, over-valued, people like what they're told to like... there some serious shit in this world you'll never see because the people who make it don't go to the right parties.

p.s. please stop winding me up, it's making me look stupid in front of all these people.

hag said:
i dunno, becuase some clown was willing to pay that much for it? under-valued, over-valued, people like what they're told to like... there some serious shit in this world you'll never see because the people who make it don't go to the right parties.

p.s. please stop winding me up, it's making me look stupid in front of all these people.
Ah I love you really Hag.

1950's said:
Ok the winding shall continue...
anyway.

Hoover
Estel
The Killing Spree
Pavilion bar, Belfast
£5

if i charged more than a fiver, a lot of people will look at the line-up and have a fair idea what it's gonna be like, based on posters and the fact that i'm doin the show, but if it's more expensive than a standard night out in some shitty disco where they can dance to indie pop, bitch about people and timidly flirt with each other then the gig will lose out. simple marketing policy. smart business practice. good capitalism.

but that's beside the point. the reason this gig is cheap is because hoover are willing to come and play here for no profit. the only condition is that they don't lose money. their expenses will be covered, as will Estel's. if only 30 people pay in (as has happened before) i will cover these expenses myself.

any takings over the break-even point is a bonus for them and a bonus for my band (or whatever the local support may be). we're getting to play with HOOVER for fuck's sake. that's enough.

see all the other bands who won't come to ireland cos they can't make money? fuck em. enough people are in it for the love. life is peachy.

Muscle Beach said:
anyway.

Hoover
Estel
The Killing Spree
Pavilion bar, Belfast
£5

if i charged more than a fiver, a lot of people will look at the line-up and have a fair idea what it's gonna be like, based on posters and the fact that i'm doin the show, but if it's more expensive than a standard night out in some shitty disco where they can dance to indie pop, bitch about people and timidly flirt with each other then the gig will lose out. simple marketing policy. smart business practice. good capitalism.

but that's beside the point. the reason this gig is cheap is because hoover are willing to come and play here for no profit. the only condition is that they don't lose money. their expenses will be covered, as will Estel's. if only 30 people pay in (as has happened before) i will cover these expenses myself.

any takings over the break-even point is a bonus for them and a bonus for my band (or whatever the local support may be). we're getting to play with HOOVER for fuck's sake. that's enough.

see all the other bands who won't come to ireland cos they can't make money? fuck em. enough people are in it for the love. life is peachy.
can i have sex with you?

hey, was that girl taking photos in bristol a friend of yours? if so, any chance of getting a look at her knockers? i mean, the photos?

hag said:
hey, was that girl taking photos in bristol a friend of yours? if so, any chance of getting a look at her knockers? i mean, the photos?
yeah, i think she's sending them to us in an email. the photos, that is.

hag said:
can i have sex with you?
gotta buy me dinner first.

seat_poly_peru_brown_photo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back