Hoover on tour. (2 Viewers)

Stephen

Since 1999
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]06 December Hoover, Estel, burn it to the ground & apostles[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Voodoo Lounge, Dublin - €6.00

The mighty Hoover have reformed and are playing at The Voodoo Lounge on the 6th Dec. 2004. Hoover were one of the first Dischord bands, playing with and around the same time as Shudder to Think, Three, Jawbox, One Last Wish, Lungfish, Nation of Ulysses, Holy Rollers, Fidelity Jones, Ignition, The High Back Chairs, Severin and Fugazi. . . . There's a lot of excitement around about this tour, and we should be in for quite a treat . So head on down to The Voodoo Lounge, support the local music scene. and be part of musical history ! Support from Estel (newly rocking line-up), Burn it to the Ground (Scremo madness for the anarchicly inclined) and apostles (new improv. noise) will be worth the six yo's asking price anyday of the week. For more info on Hoover : http://www.southern.net/southern/tour/HOOVER http://www.dischord.com/bands/hoover.shtml Since 1992, when Hoover began playing, they have put out three 7" singles. The 'Lurid Traversal of Route 7' was recorded with Geoff Turner at WGNS Studios in Bethesda, Maryland. They broke up in 1994 and are now newly reforming with a new record out on slowdime. After their break up memebers went on to perform in sevens & The Crownhate Ruin. Herbert Clark Hoover (1874-1964) the 31st president of the U.S. He organized relief for Europe during and after WWI. As president, though, he lost favour after his failure to alleviate the affects of depression. Route 7...Winchester, Virginia and Bethesda, Maryland. More info. on Estel: http://www.thumped.com/estel/
[/font]

6 euro in for a touring American band?! Are you nuts?! With three other bands playing too... Either that place is the size of the point or Hoover don't mind coming over here and making about 30 quid.

1950's said:
6 euro in for a touring American band?! Are you nuts?! With three other bands playing too... Either that place is the size of the point or Hoover don't mind coming over here and making about 30 quid.
this is actually do-able in voodoo if around 60 people actually pay in. the support bands don't get squat unless 70-80 people pay in. (in my experience).

I was never any good at English.
What Hag said. Break even is actaully at 54 people (that's including the minimum amount aggreed for hoover plus the 2.50 spend on posters and the tenner on food), everything after that is split 50 50 with hoover and the supports.
Just cos other promoters rip the complete piss with ticket prices doesn't mean everyone has to.

hag said:
this is actually do-able in voodoo if around 60 people actually pay in. the support bands don't get squat unless 70-80 people pay in. (in my experience).
It's an expensive business being in a band and incredibly expensive to tour. I've heard the same thing from so many touring American and European bands that haven't played in Ireland. That it's not worth they're while coming here for 3 or 4 gigs cos they won't make enough money to cover their expenses. Not paying support bands is not on either. Everyone deserves to get paid for a gig.

go to this gig in dublin to support apostles. havent heard them yet but its my mates aonghus and tims band. apparently they are very improv but have occasional bits of structure as well.

1950's said:
It's an expensive business being in a band and incredibly expensive to tour. I've heard the same thing from so many touring American and European bands that haven't played in Ireland. That it's not worth they're while coming here for 3 or 4 gigs cos they won't make enough money to cover their expenses. Not paying support bands is not on either. Everyone deserves to get paid for a gig.

we should get enormous rows made, stick them out each side of the country and row the island eastwards til we hit wales, then touring bands wouldn't have those damn ferry fees to worry about.

1950's said:
yes, i agree. 100%. i see it from both sides, i play anmd promote. but if everyone just thought like you do, we'd never see any interesting bands. for every time i can't pay the support bands, there's another time that i can and do. and, in this crazy little community, it tends to all even itself out somehow. it's a good thing some people really adore music or all we'd get to see is the shite mcd puts on at stupid prices.
what band are you in, 1950's?

But,if enough people show up the money gets split between all the bands. Isn't that what he said?

I've played at plenty of gigs and not got paid,if it was about the money i'd be better off giving up on music. I'm not complaining or anything,I fully understand that if only so much money comes in and a band has travelled from another country etc,it's gonna go to them. I actually think that's fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back