Hitler vs Ireland (1 Viewer)

We are basically always going to be hoofing it as long as we are playing 4-4-2.
If we played 4-5-1, with Hoolahan, McCarthy, and Whelan/Green/Foley/DarrON or something, then maybe we could think about passing our way up the field.
But with Sammon and Long up front? Hoof central.

We did ok against Sweden, better than expected. Hope was briefly ignited. Then Unnamed Fan got injured. Hope on top of hope. Then Conor Fucking Sammon. Conor Fucking Sammon. Fuck. Sake.

I will be in attendance at this match. Didnt think it would be anything to look forward until i saw fridays good overall performance. Cant wait for it now, COYBIG!!!

Gonna be there too. It'll be FUCKING FREEZING.

Got a couple of freebies. Currently trying to put as many layers on to my person as possible. For no good reason whatsoever, I'm quietly optimistic. Come on Ireland!

Good first half.. I really worried for us after 10 minutes, we were seriously losing the midfield battle but in fairness hitting them directly is working. Long is doing fantastic. Hope we push for a 3rd and don't sit back.

That was annoying, we really needed to make a switch to bring on an midfielder earlier than we did, and when we did we shouldn't have moved Walters up front.

In fairness to Sammon he worked his arse off, and must be a pain to play against, it's just a pity that he doesn't have more ability.

Ah fuck it anyway. It was so painfully obvious that was going to happen when they were clearly exhausted and hoofing it away with about 20 minutes to go.. Why wait until the 83rd minute to bring on fresh legs up front? It was tailor made to bring Hoolahan on and try and keep the ball for a while. Goes in the 'we never learn' file next to Skopje, Bratislava, Tel Aviv etc.

8593811414_655d259ba7_z.jpg

Posted this in the twitter thread it makes more sense here.

Look, I'm not going to put the boot in. So lets look at the positives.

Sammon was okay, no skill at all, but excellent at what he did, he's not going to cause problems for Germany or Sweden but he worked tonight.

Long was excellent.

Coleman is so fucking cool on the ball, even more than I thought and that's a plus.

Forde seems to be a commanding presence.

McClean played well and worked extremely hard.

McCarthy is working ..... enough said.

The back four looks solid, fine Clark's mistake cost us, but, finally I can say that we did look solid.

Whelan and McCarthy works going forward but we do need a player to link them and Long who isn't Sammon hoofing it won't work against germany or Sweden.

Yes, we did exactly what I thought we would do. We dropped deeper and deeper we sacrificed midfield, we couldn't pass and Whelan can't get forward. But we were very close to a balanced team at times

We were as good as I've seen us in years in the first half, Okay, when we were behind and chasing a goal and although that counts for nothing and we should have won 3-1 at least. Lets also look at the other positives

They are averarge and well beatable away. Sweden aren't as good as I thought ( though I thought that was an off night for them)

Alaba was Austrias best player and he's a deep lying midfielder that got very.... very ...lucky.

Beat Sweden at home and Austria away (which is doable) and we're in with a vague shot.

The first half was the Ireland we know, Which lets face it is all we really want .
The second was Traps Ireland and you could see that even he wasn't happy with what he's made so maybe he's learning ( If Clark hadn't come off I'd say Hoolahan might have come on at that stage) which is a massive step forward.

A week is a long time in football and this one was actually a good one in the long run. We're getting closer to a real team.

Trap seems to be finally starting to understand us. Seriously I do think that. And yes it has taken too fucking long.

Hoolihan in second half and we could have done it. I'm surprised by what we managed first half I expected the second half but there were a lot of positives. A bit more ambition and we can manage this.

Seriously. We will get apoint in Germany and we can beat them away and Sweden at home. We just have to actually want to.

I'm Pissed

but the 35 minutes after they scored we played like I thought we should. Sammon out (not that he played badly, he didn't) Hoolihan in and we can actually play ball.

I believe again. Hallaluiagh (or however it's spelt)

We still won't qualify but fuck it we might not qualify the right way now.

COYBIG!!!!

Christ, wc, I'll have one of whatever you had last night.

I was, and remain, absolutely sickened. Sitting in the West Upper everyone could see we needed to make a change after 60 minutes, players were tiring, particularly Sammon, we were retreating and it was ominous. It was so obvious even a child would have seen it. We didn't, Trap's fault, and got punished eventually, though they also had great chances before that.

Plenty of positives but I think it's too little too late now. If it becomes mathematically impossible to qualify, Trap should stand aside. We have the nucleus of a good side there.

Gut-wrenching, it was like watching a film that you've seen loads and hoping it ends differently. We had a free kick at the corner flag around the 90th minute and we should have set up camp there. Instead, I only remember Walters and Sammon tap it to each other - with no other green shirt for miles around - and eventually lose possession. How Alaba was given that much time and space in the dying seconds I will never understand.

To be fair to the Austrians, they stuck with it. They're a half decent side and if we're honest probably on a par with ourselves. We failed to be professional and close out the game and tiredness did us in the end. Manager has to take a lot of the blame for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back